Richmond Developments

Cotuit

2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

It also seems as thought the apartments at the Northside scrap yard are underway too.

You can see where it was cleared out.

Here is what the old scrapyard looked like on google maps

scrapyard.thumb.png.a43cadfd169cc051f74b6539ea354cd8.png

That has all been cleared and the construction site setup.

They also had that major fire there the other month, so hopefully it is clearing with a plan rather than just clean-up.

• Like 3

Brown's Island improvement plan...   https://venturerichmond.s3.amazonaws.com/Brown's+Island+Improvement+Plan_SHORT+(1).pdf

Beautiful enhancements to encourage useage of the area, but I didn't see ANY reference to parking. Availability of spaces is severely lacking on nice weekend days, as is now. If more people were to take advantage of the area, parking would be critically inadequate.

Edited by Henrico Weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That all looks good to me....but can we get some real bathrooms? Bathrooms can be built under the Manchester Bridge (with a real stage on the western edge).  
Nothing  will grow under there, it’s the perfect place for public restrooms. 

• Like 1

I was in Richmond this past weekend.  The city was bustling, more than the past few weeks, with vehicles and pedestrians.  Hollywood Cemetery and Maymont Park had quite a bit of vehicular and foot traffic.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

I was in Richmond this past weekend.  The city was bustling, more than the past few weeks, with vehicles and pedestrians.  Hollywood Cemetery and Maymont Park had quite a bit of vehicular and foot traffic.

Its been a bit crowded around Rocketts Landing and Shiplock Park since this started.  It sounds like parks have been seeing similar circumstances with everything closed so those locations being busy may not be a great indication of returning to normality.

Looks gorgeous but is also pretty similar to the Brown's Island section of the Riverfront Plan final draft which was in 2012.... and 8 years later...

But it looks like they've incorporated some of those ideas (terraces) while also having redone some of the landscape architecture too which looks even better, some of the new ideas are also really cool like moving the headman sculpture onto the canal; and the stepping stones, the trellis swings...

Lots of exciting stuff to be incorporated here. The only question is when ...

16 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Not sure where they are moving to or if they just planned on renovating their current building, but here's a rendering I found of the new Center for Scouting.

https://baskervill.com/projects/center-for-scouting/

CenterforScouting_2_LgLand.jpg

Interesting. I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster, and this is the first I've heard about it. They usually precede a project like this with a very visible fundraising effort, but I haven't seen anything specific to this. I would guess they would build this out at the Heart of Virginia Council's Camp Brady T. Saunders reservation out at Maidens in Goochland County? Their current headquarters building is at Fitzhugh Ave. just off of W. Broad. But that is an administrative office, and this looks more like an activity related structure.

Gee, this block and prominent location at the south side of the Lee bridge cannot catch a break!  It’s almost as if the land is cursed. Every project proposed on it never comes to fruition for one reason or another!  I know that there have been at least 3 projects proposed on this block and none of them have come through. This latest proposal was one of my least favorite.  I think it would be great to see a high-rise condo or apartment building there instead of a low-rise anything. Just my two cents. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/12/40m-riverhaus-project-on-hold-in-manchester/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Gee, this block and prominent location at the south side of the Lee bridge cannot catch a break!  It’s almost as if the land is cursed. Every project proposed on it never comes to fruition for one reason or another!  I know that there have been at least 3 projects proposed on this block and none of them have come through. This latest proposal was one of my least favorite.  I think it would be great to see a high-rise condo or apartment building there instead of a low-rise anything. Just my two cents. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/12/40m-riverhaus-project-on-hold-in-manchester/

I don't see how you think this is a curse.  Sounds like they have multiple developers who saw their proposal and thought "you're wasting that lot to build that?  I could put something much more valuable there and I'm willing to pay you a lot more than you paid for the land because of that."  

57 minutes ago, jbjust said:

I don't see how you think this is a curse.  Sounds like they have multiple developers who saw their proposal and thought "you're wasting that lot to build that?  I could put something much more valuable there and I'm willing to pay you a lot more than you paid for the land because of that."  

I say “cursed” because everything that has been proposed for that block has never come to fruition.  There have been at least 3 developers who have planned projects on this block, but none of them were built for one reason or another.  This block has never had an issue generating interest- it’s an awesome location!  Hopefully, something good and taller is finally built there soon.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 8:33 AM, eandslee said:

Ohhhh boy... here we go. 

From the story:

Brickman said much of his firm’s attention has been on a $100 million project in Napa, California, and a $50 million project in Ohio.

“We’re looking at other opportunities in Richmond, but again, we’re pretty busy in Napa,” Brickman said. “We’re still designed for 23 townhomes and 130 apartments, and we still love the site.”

That's one of those "holding pattern" quotes if EVER I heard one. Richmond had gotten "strung-along" in holding patterns more times that I can remember. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything to happen here. Best to hope they sell to a developer ready/able to get underway with firm plans in hand.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:52 PM, Brent114 said:

Here’s the site on Main between 5th and 6th streets...

It went verticals a lot faster than I thought it would...

854BC2D7-A0EB-487F-95CA-BCBC04C28DDD.jpeg

Yep - I guess given it's only six stories and not the 22 story towers once proposed what at LEAST decade (maybe 15 years?) ago - they don't have to go down very deep to pour footings.

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the bridge park that extends from Jackson Ward over I-95 that I thought was interesting.  Also, there is mention (and renderings) of a crescent park around where the current Diamond is near Scott’s Addition...and more!  The boulevard renderings are pretty cool. Hopefully, it all comes to fruition!

• Like 1