Richmond Developments

Cotuit

If I’m not mistaken, the park is replacing the parking lot in front of the Children’s Science Museum.  

The DMV building is old/dated and surrounded by a sea of parking.  With some of DMV services FINALLY moving to online, and workspace restructuring because of Covid, it just seems like a waste of space.  You could easily reincorporate the entire block to include a large mix of uses that would be more suitable for an urban/transit location. 

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

If I’m not mistaken, the park is replacing the parking lot in front of the Children’s Science Museum.  

The DMV building is old/dated and surrounded by a sea of parking.  With some of DMV services FINALLY moving to online, and workspace restructuring because of Covid, it just seems like a waste of space.  You could easily reincorporate the entire block to include a large mix of uses that would be more suitable for an urban/transit location. 

You’re right.  My bad.  I was indeed thinking of the Science Museum and not the DMV.  Then, that does make this rezoning a bit more interesting.  Probably, like you said -  just planning for some kind of non-specific future development. 

The state had Trane complete a MAJOR energy overhaul of that building 6 years ago. Can't imagine it going anywhere, but it does have a lot of surplus land that seems like a waste.

https://www.trane.com/commercial/north-america/us/en/about-us/newsroom/press-releases/-virginia-dmv-wins-trane-energy-efficiency-leader-award.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rjp212 said:

That makes sense.  Looking at the Richmond 300 plans for that area, the DMV building is still there, but the surrounding parking has been turned into buildings.

GreaterScottsFuture.jpg.ead310c9509d62a4b7062f156e6e570c.jpg

So much potential in this area, and love the city's vision. 

Curious how conceptual this is, or rather how committed the city is to seeing this to fruition. For instance, when soliciting proposals, will the city stipulate that developers must include this crescent-shaped park and the new ballpark will go in this location? Or, will developers have a free hand to completely redesign the city's plots? 

• Like 1

I'm SOOOO loving everything I'm seeing out of the Richmond300 process. There has been NOTHING - and I mean NOTHING -- like this for as long as I can remember. Loving what the plan for the new ballpark area and the area north of Scott's Addition, especially the super dense section of the Boulevard between the Acca bridge and I-95. MAN - hoping I live long enough to see ALL of this come to fruition!

• Like 3

Did some more perusing today of the city permit site - looks like 2 previously discussed projects should be breaking ground this summer. One in Scott's Addition and the other in the VA Bio+Tech Park based on the issued dates shown in these. The illustrations are not from the permit application but from what Richmond BizSense released. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/09/17/new-100000-square-foot-building-planned-for-biotech-park/

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/01/13/developer-tweaks-plans-for-scotts-collection-project/

permit_ScottsCollection.jpg

pciture_ScottsCollection1.jpg

permit_LeighSt.jpg

pciture_LeighSt.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 4

Thanks for reminding us about these and keeping us updated on their status. These are actually quite exciting!  No, they’re not major projects, but they’re not small either and will add a lot of goodness to the areas where they will be built.  Thanks again for posting and continue to keep digging for these treasures!  Love it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Good to hear. Maybe I'll start doing some sort of 'weekly permit roundup' on Fridays and post anything substantial that was issued out that week. There is definitely a media gap from when a project is first announced to when it starts to become visible. Sifting through the permit records and keeping tabs on the agendas for the various planning committees definitely sheds more light on project timelines and status. 

This would be awesome!  Please do!  Thanks!

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

Good to hear. Maybe I'll start doing some sort of 'weekly permit roundup' on Fridays and post anything substantial that was issued out that week. There is definitely a media gap from when a project is first announced to when it starts to become visible. Sifting through the permit records and keeping tabs on the agendas for the various planning committees definitely sheds more light on project timelines and status. 

That would be fantastic! Thanks for doing this!

• Like 1

Was going to post this in the Jackson Ward Forum, but seems that was archived.  (Side note: I still think we should have neighborhood specific forums instead of just Richmond Developments)

Now that the developer has finished up the St Luke’s Building conversion into apartments, he is focusing on the surrounding vacant land for new builds.  Ultimately there will be 5 new buildings totaling 120 market rates apartments.  The first will be a 4 story version of his project at 3900 Monument Ave. It will total 24 units.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/06/29/maggie-walkers-bank-building-converted-to-apartments-developer-plans-dozens-more-next-door/

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Was going to post this in the Jackson Ward Forum, but seems that was archived.  (Side note: I still think we should have neighborhood specific forums instead of just Richmond Developments)

Now that the developer has finished up the St Luke’s Building conversion into apartments, he is focusing on the surrounding vacant land for new builds.  Ultimately there will be 5 new buildings totaling 120 market rates apartments.  The first will be a 4 story version of his project at 3900 Monument Ave. It will total 24 units.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/06/29/maggie-walkers-bank-building-converted-to-apartments-developer-plans-dozens-more-next-door/

This is great. I was glad to see work being done on the St. Luke building over the last year but I'm awestruck that those units are renting so high within a stone's throw of Gilpin Court.  Now there will be ground up market rate units on that side of 64 as well?! In my head I thought we were still 10+ years away from seeing anything like that over there..... Wow! We should also be hearing something this year related to the Jackson Place Phase 2 project on this side of 64 which will take up the block between 2nd/3rd NS - Jackson/Duval EW...

• Like 4

This popped up on June 26 - didn't see it on here.

Looks like there may be some movement with the CCP offer for the "Block D" - where the Social Services Building currently sits.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/06/26/city-looks-to-start-talks-with-downtown-developer-skirting-rfp-for-social-services-building/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2019 at 8:30 AM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

(dum dum dum)

Another lot bites the dust

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/06/24/developer-interest-surface-parking-lots-picking-steam-downtown/

Apartments are planned, height and number of units still unknown. At the NW corner of South 1st and East Canal streets, across from Matrix Midtown.

Didn’t realize they’ve already broken ground on this!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Biggest news of the day is obviously the twin towers proposed for Manchester, but also big news on Broad Street: the UMFS campus redevelopment is underway.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/12/02/mixed-use-development-underway-at-umfs-campus/

With a Courtyard Marriott hotel and a 250 unit apartment building + two new additions to the UMFS medical campus.

SpyRockUMFS1.jpg

SpyRockUMFS2.jpg

Absolutely loving the fact that the buildings are brought up directly to the street with no setbacks. Will improve the urban streetscape in that area tenfold.

Driving down Broad and they seem to have had to split up the buildings a little because of topography.  Doesn’t seem to be just one LARGE wall.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:44 PM, rjp212 said:

Driving down Broad and they seem to have had to split up the buildings a little because of topography.  Doesn’t seem to be just one LARGE wall.  

It's great seeing this project by Spy Rock rise and push the urban wall along Broad westward.  Unfortunately, I drove by this weekend as well and it looks like the project directly adjacent to this one - Belmont on Broad (by Kotarides) - may actually be pushed back away from Broad St. in its layout. Hopefully I'm wrong but the foundation seems to be in place and it looks to be set back significantly which will create a disjointed look next to this project. I've never been able to find a comparable streetscape rendering or a diagram of the site layout for the Kotarides site like we have here for the Spy Rock UMFS site. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1