Richmond Developments

Cotuit

1 hour ago, Richmonder23 said:

Absolutely! I rolled my eyes quite a few times through that article. If these folks think Richmond is destined to look like Midtown Manhattan in a few years because of some rezoning, they've clearly never been to Manhattan! (Plus, what's so bad with looking like one of the country's most popular cities anyway?) NIMBYs have been holding Richmond back for far too long. I for one say - bring on the density - and height! 

AMEN, brother!!! I concur 100%  Trust me, the NIMBYs have been a thorn in the side as far as I can remember -- I've seen this kind of insipid mentality for more than 50 years (I started following how the city was developing while I was a kid growing up near Westover Hills. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Richmond borrowing from the design playbook of Midtown Manhattan - a jungle of towers of various descriptions, sizes, shapes would do us quite well! Do I want to see glass and steel towers along Monument Avenue or Hanover Avenue or Strawberry Street in The Fan? Of course not! But throughout downtown, the VCU area, all along Broad, Scott's Addition, the area north of Scott's Addition (where the Diamond is now), Manchester, Monroe Ward, MCV/Navy Hill area ... bring on the density, bring on the height. BRING.. IT... ON!!! No one is talking about attempting to turn West Avenue into the canyons of Wall Street. For the love of God. I wish we could dispense with this small town mindset and just stop it will all the "historic" BS - no one is looking to rip up The Fan and turn it into the Upper East Side. But packing high rises into every nook and cranny available downtown? And putting them up around VCU and all along Broad Street? HECK YEAH!!! We need density and height. Even with COVID, Richmond is doing surprisingly well! She has been on a great roll - let's do everything possible to KEEP the momentum going - NOT truncate it! IMNSHO, as far as Richmond goes, bigger is definitely better - and the more of it the better. Having an epic skyline that stretches from jam-packed "city centers" of Scott's Addition/north Scott's Addition to downtown, and across the river to Manchester... and the population growth that could come with that... man... THAT is a Richmond THAT CAN -- AND SHOULD -- HAPPEN - and it doesn't have to "sacrifice" any of the history or uniqueness of places like The Fan or Jackson Ward or Shockoe Slip...  If anything, having a major city of gleaming towers, high density, high rise offices, residential areas, great shopping, and bustling streets - would serve to ENHANCE areas such as The Fan or Jackson Ward, BRINGING OUT their uniqueness as great, historic urban neighborhoods nestled inside America's newest, really up-and-coming, premiere BIG city! I've never understood why the NIMBYs refuse to recognize that!

I realize that, unfortunately, COVID, could really be the monkey wrench... but wow... all things being equal, to see Richmond take off like this would simply be EPIC! And she'd FINALLY be living up to her vast, untapped potential to become a truly awesome BIG city. BIG. Not mid-sized... BIG.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

I am always disappointed when city leaders travel to places like Charlotte, Savanna or Tampa to see what Richmond can become.  Sunbelt cities never seemed like a good match for Richmond and they certainly aren’t aspirational.   Richmond should look to Seattle, Boston, Baltimore and Philadelphia (or Brooklyn) for inspiration.  Nothing under 10 floors should ever be accepted in the area that I Miss RVA defined (I’d add in the Chamberlayne Ave corridor too).  Monroe Ward should be filled with 20-40 story buildings.  No ground floor retail added unless the building is over 20 floors.  We need to seriously increase the downtown population in order to get the existing storefronts filled (the death of retail is real... it’s going to take serious numbers to keep businesses open). 

As for old and new...London, Paris, Buenos Aries, Moscow, Madrid, Milan....only the folks in this metro think it isn’t possible to highlight both. 

AMEN, Brent!!! Very well said! Indeed, Richmond is NOT a Sun Belt city and for decades it has boggled my mind how and why the "Southern" aspect of those sprawling cities that mushroomed out of small towns are in any way how Richmond should design herself (and don't get me started on the nauseating Charleston/Savannah comparisons... dear God...)

Agreed - we could throw Chamberlayne Avenue (especially closer in toward downtown) into the mix... what a transition it would be coming in from the north on Chamberlayne to see the density ratchet up and up and up and up on the approach to downtown.

Your final point hits the nail right on the head - and I'd love to know why it is that for decades folks in Richmond have held that it is impossible to highlight both old and new - that it must be either/or. A zero-sum game. What ticks me off the most is that the NIMBYs and the preservation freaks are the worst offenders - that somehow a high rise building within 200 miles of one of their architecturally "significant" houses somehow "destroys" the "historic character"... as if a 25 story building at, say, Robinson and Broad somehow wrecks the ambiance of row houses at Robinson and Floyd. W..T..ever-living...F ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Can someone PLEASE explain this to me?

Look at the Lee House on Franklin Street - having the 18-story 7th and Franklin Building (or whatever the name of the tower is nowadays) sitting right next door - IMO - not only does NOT diminish the architectural and historical significance of the Lee House - it enhances it. It shows that Richmond HAS changed from the 1860s - it is a much different - and BIGGER city today than in the 1860s - BUT - for all the modern skyscrapers and big city bustle, here is a small slice of real Richmond history, alive and well, close to 180 years after it was built, it's still there - a perfect blend of old and new. For Christ's sake, it's 160 years later. WHY do these folks INSIST that Richmond "must" look exactly as she did 160 years ago for the "character" to remain unblemished? Just because Charleston and Savannah took that approach does NOT mean it is the right approach for Richmond.  That lovely mix of old and new is part of the very fabric of cities like Boston and Philadelphia. Truly historic sites are preserved - and yet gleaming buildings rise 60, 70, 80 stories high just a stones throw from those 200-plus year old structures. I've had the pleasure of visiting those cities - and seeing new towers rise, for example in Center City Philadelphia just a block or two from a row of 200-year-old row houses makes those old row houses REALLLLY stand out as vital to the importance of the city! Those row houses will never be torn down. They've been preserved. But at the same time, no one is stopping more 70 or 80 story buildings from rising around them. Perfect blend of old and new.

I just cannot wrap my head around how and why Richmond can't get this concept. WHY must the city be embalmed in the 1880s?

Brent - your suggestion for Monroe Ward made me envision that area transformed from the sea of parking lots that exists today to a sea of high rises of every shape, size and description - a real mini-Upper East Side or Upper West Side kind of concentration of buildings that from an aerial vantage point would look STUNNING on the downtown city scape! Leads me to hope that if there are 20 to 40 story buildings packed tightly into Monroe Ward - then hopefully there might be a few 60 or 70 story buildings dotting the "CBD" landscape just to the east or north and east. I keep thinking of City Center as a real developmental focal point for downtown. Particularly if a new arena eventually gets built - and particularly with the Carpenter Center and Convention Center there - that entire multi-block stretch around Marshall, Broad, Grace, Franklin and from 4th or 5th to 7th or 8th could be its own ward named "City Center" ... and rather than 18 or 22 story buildings going up at the old May Company site - how about breaking the cap on the height limit and dropping something 40 or 45 (dare I push for 50?) stories there... as part of a multi-building complex. Integrate the historic old parking deck into the structure - but reach for the sky! Especially given the elevation at close to the crest of the hill approaching Broad Street - anything of that size could realllly be a signature tower on the skyline. I keep hoping for a 25-ish floor Hyatt Regency to go up in that area (perhaps north of Marshall as originally envisioned in the NH plan and apparently still in the works in the Richmond 300 plan(s)... having multiple high profile/big name convention hotels, the convention center, the Carpenter Center... the re-establishment of quality retail and entertainment/dining... and make sure both Class A office - AND residential are both part of the mix as well. A really well coordinated, designed and developed City Center section of downtown could be a fantastic anchor location in downtown that could go a long way to re-establishing the Broad and Grace Street areas there as a real go-to destination.

Want to maintain some connection to Richmond's history there? Don't truncate the buildings - but actually pay homage to Thalheimer's, Miller & Rhodes, Berry Burke, May Company, and many of the other fine retailers that once were the anchors there. This was once the retail hub of Virginia. Make City Center a true "hub" of downtown -- with signature towers, new retail, fine dining, hotels, entertainment, offices for new companies, and -- most importantly -- residents!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

AMEN, Brent!!! Very well said! Indeed, Richmond is NOT a Sun Belt city and for decades it has boggled my mind how and why the "Southern" aspect of those sprawling cities that mushroomed out of small towns are in any way how Richmond should design herself (and don't get me started on the nauseating Charleston/Savannah comparisons... dear God...)

Agreed - we could throw Chamberlayne Avenue (especially closer in toward downtown) into the mix... what a transition it would be coming in from the north on Chamberlayne to see the density ratchet up and up and up and up on the approach to downtown.

Your final point hits the nail right on the head - and I'd love to know why it is that for decades folks in Richmond have held that it is impossible to highlight both old and new - that it must be either/or. A zero-sum game. What ticks me off the most is that the NIMBYs and the preservation freaks are the worst offenders - that somehow a high rise building within 200 miles of one of their architecturally "significant" houses somehow "destroys" the "historic character"... as if a 25 story building at, say, Robinson and Broad somehow wrecks the ambiance of row houses at Robinson and Floyd. W..T..ever-living...F ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Can someone PLEASE explain this to me?

Look at the Lee House on Franklin Street - having the 18-story 7th and Franklin Building (or whatever the name of the tower is nowadays) sitting right next door - IMO - not only does NOT diminish the architectural and historical significance of the Lee House - it enhances it. It shows that Richmond HAS changed from the 1860s - it is a much different - and BIGGER city today than in the 1860s - BUT - for all the modern skyscrapers and big city bustle, here is a small slice of real Richmond history, alive and well, close to 180 years after it was built, it's still there - a perfect blend of old and new. For Christ's sake, it's 160 years later. WHY do these folks INSIST that Richmond "must" look exactly as she did 160 years ago for the "character" to remain unblemished? Just because Charleston and Savannah took that approach does NOT mean it is the right approach for Richmond.  That lovely mix of old and new is part of the very fabric of cities like Boston and Philadelphia. Truly historic sites are preserved - and yet gleaming buildings rise 60, 70, 80 stories high just a stones throw from those 200-plus year old structures. I've had the pleasure of visiting those cities - and seeing new towers rise, for example in Center City Philadelphia just a block or two from a row of 200-year-old row houses makes those old row houses REALLLLY stand out as vital to the importance of the city! Those row houses will never be torn down. They've been preserved. But at the same time, no one is stopping more 70 or 80 story buildings from rising around them. Perfect blend of old and new.

I just cannot wrap my head around how and why Richmond can't get this concept. WHY must the city be embalmed in the 1880s?

Brent - your suggestion for Monroe Ward made me envision that area transformed from the sea of parking lots that exists today to a sea of high rises of every shape, size and description - a real mini-Upper East Side or Upper West Side kind of concentration of buildings that from an aerial vantage point would look STUNNING on the downtown city scape! Leads me to hope that if there are 20 to 40 story buildings packed tightly into Monroe Ward - then hopefully there might be a few 60 or 70 story buildings dotting the "CBD" landscape just to the east or north and east. I keep thinking of City Center as a real developmental focal point for downtown. Particularly if a new arena eventually gets built - and particularly with the Carpenter Center and Convention Center there - that entire multi-block stretch around Marshall, Broad, Grace, Franklin and from 4th or 5th to 7th or 8th could be its own ward named "City Center" ... and rather than 18 or 22 story buildings going up at the old May Company site - how about breaking the cap on the height limit and dropping something 40 or 45 (dare I push for 50?) stories there... as part of a multi-building complex. Integrate the historic old parking deck into the structure - but reach for the sky! Especially given the elevation at close to the crest of the hill approaching Broad Street - anything of that size could realllly be a signature tower on the skyline. I keep hoping for a 25-ish floor Hyatt Regency to go up in that area (perhaps north of Marshall as originally envisioned in the NH plan and apparently still in the works in the Richmond 300 plan(s)... having multiple high profile/big name convention hotels, the convention center, the Carpenter Center... the re-establishment of quality retail and entertainment/dining... and make sure both Class A office - AND residential are both part of the mix as well. A really well coordinated, designed and developed City Center section of downtown could be a fantastic anchor location in downtown that could go a long way to re-establishing the Broad and Grace Street areas there as a real go-to destination.

Want to maintain some connection to Richmond's history there? Don't truncate the buildings - but actually pay homage to Thalheimer's, Miller & Rhodes, Berry Burke, May Company, and many of the other fine retailers that once were the anchors there. This was once the retail hub of Virginia. Make City Center a true "hub" of downtown -- with signature towers, new retail, fine dining, hotels, entertainment, offices for new companies, and -- most importantly -- residents!

Using history to justify their sense of entitlement and privilege.  The "NIMBY" collective are the honestly the status quo who wants their way of how Richmond SHOULD look in THEIR benefit (while suppressing a burgeoning population of fresh faces, talents and viewpoints of how the city can progress as the years pass). Give it some thought, because its more than just skyscrapers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DalWill said:

Using history to justify their sense of entitlement and privilege.  The "NIMBY" collective are the honestly the status quo who wants their way of how Richmond SHOULD look in THEIR benefit (while suppressing a burgeoning population of fresh faces, talents and viewpoints of how the city can progress as the years pass). Give it some thought, because its more than just skyscrapers.

VERY well said!! I agree 100%. It's a truly sad state of affairs. I just wonder how and why Richmond has been so cursed with this mindset whereas other cities such as Boston and Philadelphia have not.

Both of these Grace St. properties have already been considered by the Pulse Corridor rezoning program last year when the attention was on Monroe Ward. While the zoning map south of Grace was redrawn as part of this action , the B-4 zoning along Grace was maintained. There were amendments to the B-4 zoning text that sprang out of this but essentially the height restrictions are the same - not to 12 stories but to the 4:1 inclined plane. So nothing along Grace St. really changed zoning wise except for the minimal changes to the B-4 allowances. I've linked a summary to the Monroe Ward Rezoning program below which describes this and the rest of the Monroe Ward actions that were approved. 

http://www.richmondgov.com/PlanningAndDevelopmentReview/documents/PulseCorridorPlan/MonroeWardRezoningSummary20190503.pdf

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, whw53 said:

Both of these Grace St. properties have already been considered by the Pulse Corridor rezoning program last year when the attention was on Monroe Ward. While the zoning map south of Grace was redrawn as part of this action , the B-4 zoning along Grace was maintained. There were amendments to the B-4 zoning text that sprang out of this but essentially the height restrictions are the same - not to 12 stories but to the 4:1 inclined plane. So nothing along Grace St. really changed zoning wise except for the minimal changes to the B-4 allowances. I've linked a summary to the Monroe Ward Rezoning program below which describes this and the rest of the Monroe Ward actions that were approved. 

http://www.richmondgov.com/PlanningAndDevelopmentReview/documents/PulseCorridorPlan/MonroeWardRezoningSummary20190503.pdf

Honest to God, I wish the city would get their heads out of their backsides and do away with the 4:1 limiter on height, especially for buildings that are facing wider thoroughfares. I (to a point) get not necessarily wanting to create areas where very little sunlight actually hits (recall the line from Elton John's 1972 song "Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters" describing the 'plight' of New Yorkers: 

"... for unless they see the sky, but they can't and that is why... they know not if it's dark outside or light..."  -- clearly a reference to the high rise canyons of Manhattan. (Bernie Taupin was a sharp lyricist, to be sure!)

But this 4:1 thing almost certainly will prevent Richmond from ever getting some epic 50, 60, 70 (or taller) towers unless they're basically built on an island in the middle of nowhere... Amazingly frustrating, to say the least.

• Like 3

In parking garage news....

1. Work has begun on the Science Museum Parking Garage and Urban Plaza project .... moving this into the 'orange' on the RVA Development Map.

2. It looks like the Sauer Center Parking Garage has topped out. Does anyone know what is left to be built for that development? With the Whole Foods and the various renovations either done or wrapping up it seems this project is coming to a close? Was there supposed to be a new construction piece of this or was that swapped out for the parking garage? There have been a variety of renderings so I'm not sure what the final site plan was.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, whw53 said:

In parking garage news....

1. Work has begun on the Science Museum Parking Garage and Urban Plaza project .... moving this into the 'orange' on the RVA Development Map.

2. It looks like the Sauer Center Parking Garage has topped out. Does anyone know what is left to be built for that development? With the Whole Foods and the various renovations either done or wrapping up it seems this project is coming to a close? Was there supposed to be a new construction piece of this or was that swapped out for the parking garage? There have been a variety of renderings so I'm not sure what the final site plan was.

Wasn't there supposed to be a decent sized apartment component?

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

This is the only thing I could find that is fairly recent:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/06/07/sauer-eyes-new-office-building-800-space-parking-deck-near-whole-foods/

I don't see an apartment component though. :dontknow:

Digging around that may be for Phase 2.  It looks like the apartments were originally planned for on top of the parking garage.
The Sauer Center - HG Design Studio

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

Digging around that may be for Phase 2.  It looks like the apartments were originally planned for on top of the parking garage.
The Sauer Center - HG Design Studio

In all honesty, I like this development for the fact that it is a development, but just look at the plans here - it is so suburban for its location (you'd never think this is close to downtown).  This needed to be a serious density project.  I'm talking about the fact that there should have been high-rise apartments built on top of Whole Foods, for example.  Then, there are the parking lots...what is this...Short Pump?  Disappointing to say the least, but I'll take the development for development sake.  Hope this thing morphs into something with a lot more density.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

In all honesty, I like this development for the fact that it is a development, but just look at the plans here - it is so suburban for its location (you'd never think this is close to downtown).  This needed to be a serious density project.  I'm talking about the fact that there should have been high-rise apartments built on top of Whole Foods, for example.  Then, there are the parking lots...what is this...Short Pump?  Disappointing to say the least, but I'll take the development for development sake.  Hope this thing morphs into something with a lot more density.

there shouldn't be any surface parking lots sitting on Broad. that should be goal #1 

Edited by Richmonder23
  • Like 3