Jump to content

Richmond Developments


Cotuit

Recommended Posts

Thought you all would be interested in attending this virtual meeting where there will be a discussion on zonings for the West Broad Street corridor from I-195 and west. 
 

When: tomorrow evening, 20 Oct at 6:00 to 7:30pm

Where:  MS Teams

See link below:
 

https://www.rva.gov/planning-development-review/rezonings

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


29 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thought you all would be interested in attending this virtual meeting where there will be a discussion on zonings for the West Broad Street corridor from I-195 and west. 
 

When: tomorrow evening, 20 Oct at 6:00 to 7:30pm

Where:  MS Teams

See link below:
 

https://www.rva.gov/planning-development-review/rezonings

It's exciting to imagine what could happen in this part of the city if, in fact, it IS upzoned to TOD-1.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, rancenc said:

This actually is quite significant. Mondelez is what used to be the biscuit side of the Kraft empire when it was under Altria a number of years ago. When Kraft (several years before the merger with Heinz) split off the packaged food business from the old biscuit business (recall, Kraft owned Nabisco), Mondelez became the corporate name for that side of the business. Glad to see this kind of investment coming from them to RVA metro!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look at the very last words of the article posted below (The city is set to make a major economic announcement Friday. Details are limited, but it could bring thousands of new jobs.”).

 

Can’t wait to hear what this is all about. Hopefully, it’s something we don’t already know about!
 

 

https://www.nbc12.com/2021/12/16/richmonds-mayor-hopeful-good-economic-news-2022/

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Look at the very last words of the article posted below (The city is set to make a major economic announcement Friday. Details are limited, but it could bring thousands of new jobs.”).

 

Can’t wait to hear what this is all about. Hopefully, it’s something we don’t already know about!
 

 

https://www.nbc12.com/2021/12/16/richmonds-mayor-hopeful-good-economic-news-2022/

They are supposed to issue the RFP for the Diamond District before the end of the year. Don't have much time left at this point...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

They are supposed to issue the RFP for the Diamond District before the end of the year. Don't have much time left at this point...

In the video they mention City Center and Diamond District (along with a few other smaller job creating objectives). I imagine today's announcement may be what we already know about City Center... as Diamond District would have had to have been quite the secret that none of us know about.

 

Who knows, could be another new company coming into RVA!

 

Note: eandslee posted the video in his edit - https://www.nbc12.com/2021/12/16/richmonds-mayor-hopeful-good-economic-news-2022/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Maybe this is the official costar announcement?

That was my first thought.  If we are talking about the possibility of bringing thousands of jobs to RVA, the CoStar announcement would do just that.  I also foresee the CoStar HQ even moving from DC to Richmond.  I guess we'll see.  Usually these announcements are made late morning time...say 1000 or 1100.  I'm waiting on pins and needles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/12/17/breaking-news-costar-announces-plans-for-massive-new-riverfront-office-complex/
 

I really hope they keep the height. Would be the state’s tallest building. There’s something off about the crown’s setbacks to me though. Looks weird from the riverfront view. They should lower that rear portion of the building, that’s currently the tallest part, and then raise the central portion so that it’s the tallest part of the skyscraper. It’d make the building look more cohesive and less lopsided. But honestly, I’ll take anything in Virginia over 500 feet…

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I wish the RPL website had more actual details about the plans. Nice rendering - it looks like a ground-up rebuild and expansion of the current building. Interesting piece on the architecturerichmond.com website about the current structure, built in 1972 by Baskervill & Son -- same firm that built the original 1930 Dooley Library on the Franklin Street site. The lobby of the old building was incorporated into the 1972 building. It'll be interesting to see how the new building handles this - if it keeps remnants/elements of the previous two structures. If the Dooley Wing is preserved in its current form (along with any elements of the current structure), then the RPL main building would actually have elements of three 'generations' of the main public library building(s) woven together. No one will ever confuse me with Ed Slipek - but for a rank amateur who doesn't follow these kinds of things much, that concept actually is pretty cool.

I'll be curious to know (hard to tell from the renderings of the new building) if height will be introduced (it does look like a floor is added) and how much of the overall block of Main/Franklin/1st/2nd is actually filled with the building.

Given all the other (particularly residential) construction both in Monroe Ward and in downtown overall, now does seem like a good time to update the main public library building. 

https://architecturerichmond.com/inventory/richmond-public-library-main-branch/

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, wrldcoupe4 said:

The new multi family project at the corner of Monument and Hamilton is underway. Old office building has been demolished. 

The mobile crane is on site here and very visible from 195. Exciting to see. 

Edited by wrldcoupe4
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The mobile crane is on site here and very visible from 195. Exciting to see. 

Sweet!! Wow - with SO many big projects grabbing headlines, the "smaller" projects such as these often fall off our radar screen. SUPER exciting to know this one is rolling along!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hike said:

Not sure where to place this one, the project was approved by city council last night.  It's near Addison & Cary Street, replacing the old firestation, nice looking building, include a picture of the existing, it needs to be replaced seeing how old that is.

https://richmond.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/council-oks-unplanned-4-million-bond-issue-to-replace-richmond-fire-station/article_7f8c5efe-a238-5ba9-8b29-515cee2a5467.html

 

firestation.jpg

FS12.jpg

SWEEEEET!!! Man - that's an awesome rendering. That new fire station will rock when complete!  :tw_thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, Hike said:

Not sure where to place this one, the project was approved by city council last night.  It's near Addison & Cary Street, replacing the old firestation, nice looking building, include a picture of the existing, it needs to be replaced seeing how old that is.

https://richmond.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/council-oks-unplanned-4-million-bond-issue-to-replace-richmond-fire-station/article_7f8c5efe-a238-5ba9-8b29-515cee2a5467.html

 

firestation.jpg

FS12.jpg

 

Walk by this everyday. Definitely overdue. LOVE the new design, have never seen something like that. Definitely fits in the uniqueness of that area of the fan. Push forward - love the density!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

 

Walk by this everyday. Definitely overdue. LOVE the new design, have never seen something like that. Definitely fits in the uniqueness of that area of the fan. Push forward - love the density!

It's gorgeous, isn't it? The kind of fire station you'd see in Baltimore or D.C. or Boston... I can't wait for it to be developed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Richmond Free Press article @whw53posted in the South Richmond Development thread about the Council vote to approve the sale of the old Oak Grove Elementary school made brief mention of this project at the end of the article:

The council also approved shifting $4 million to fully fund construction of a replacement fire station for the 110-year- old station at 2223 W. Cary St. The action is the result of construction bids coming in well above city estimates.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Wasn't sure where to put this so sticking it here.  Richmond is often compared to Austin, TX.  I know a few people who have moved here from there who all say Richmond is Austin 15 years ago.  So I saw this on CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/supertall-skyscraper-austin-texas-wilson-tower/index.html

80-story, 1,035-foot residential skyscraper planned for Austin, Texas....Those who aren't familiar with Austin and all it has to offer might not expect to hear about supertall skyscrapers under construction there. 'Why Austin?' would be the obvious question," Wilkins said. "As you scratch beneath the surface, it just makes sense. It's a really energetic place. It's amazing how much is happening and how much is going to continue to happen here."

We can dream. Maybe in 15 years.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Wasn't sure where to put this so sticking it here.  Richmond is often compared to Austin, TX.  I know a few people who have moved here from there who all say Richmond is Austin 15 years ago.  So I saw this on CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/supertall-skyscraper-austin-texas-wilson-tower/index.html

80-story, 1,035-foot residential skyscraper planned for Austin, Texas....Those who aren't familiar with Austin and all it has to offer might not expect to hear about supertall skyscrapers under construction there. 'Why Austin?' would be the obvious question," Wilkins said. "As you scratch beneath the surface, it just makes sense. It's a really energetic place. It's amazing how much is happening and how much is going to continue to happen here."

We can dream. Maybe in 15 years.

They already have another 1000 footer going up 98 red river you may want to look up. Also I think 6th and guadalupe is suppose to pass the current talked it’s around 800 to 900 feet or something like being built 

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Wasn't sure where to put this so sticking it here.  Richmond is often compared to Austin, TX.  I know a few people who have moved here from there who all say Richmond is Austin 15 years ago.  So I saw this on CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/supertall-skyscraper-austin-texas-wilson-tower/index.html

80-story, 1,035-foot residential skyscraper planned for Austin, Texas....Those who aren't familiar with Austin and all it has to offer might not expect to hear about supertall skyscrapers under construction there. 'Why Austin?' would be the obvious question," Wilkins said. "As you scratch beneath the surface, it just makes sense. It's a really energetic place. It's amazing how much is happening and how much is going to continue to happen here."

We can dream. Maybe in 15 years.

AMEN...  From your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend...

Mind you... I've been dreaming this dream about RVA for 50 years now... and I have no idea if I'll actually live long enough to ever see it come true.

But I can dream, can't I?

 

ab67616d00001e02f74e7f7f8fc7682ace0811be.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should this project have broken ground already?  There was a lot of fanfare when the news of this was released…there was even preliminary coordination with the city to get this project moving and a goal to break ground in November. Well, that time has come and gone and I do t think I’ve seen anything happen on site yet. It is pretty close to the CoStar construction though. Anyone know anything?  Have permits been filed?

https://www.nbc12.com/2022/07/14/proposed-outdoor-amphitheater-come-downtown-richmond/?outputType=amp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.