Richmond Developments

Cotuit

more downtown warehouse conversion!!!

I am so stoked about all of the mixed redevelopment going on in the city.

"Style Weekly

New Condos, Retail Coming to the Fan

April 27, 2005

One of the oldest electric trolley barns in America, now part of a rusting warehouse at Vine and Main streets, is on its way to becoming a retail and condominium complex with that rarest of Fan district holdings

The debate over the new Shockoe Bottom Stadium proposal is getting heated:

"Putting a squeeze play on Braves?

Mayor's aide says other developers ready to take swing at ballpark site

BY DAVID RESS

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Apr 28, 2005

Baseball players aren't used to running races, but it looks as if Richmond Braves might have to do that soon with their plans to build a ballpark in Shockoe Bottom.

The city has received "upwards of a half dozen" serious inquiries from developers who want to build on the site the Braves are eyeing, senior policy adviser Paul Goldman said yesterday.

Like the Braves, they see big potential demand for new housing and retail space in the Bottom. Unlike the Braves, most don't see a ballpark as helping to spur development.

And unlike the Braves, Goldman said, the other developers are stepping up with details about their credentials and financial backing.

The Braves want to build a $250 million development of apartments, condominiums, stores, restaurants and a hotel, and use the new tax revenue it would generate to finance a new stadium -- an additional $80 million bill.

Goldman's boss, Mayor L. Douglas Wilder, has been pressing the team for more information about the money the Braves would put into the project and about the background of their Washington-based partners, Global Development Partners.

"We haven't heard from them in a month," Goldman said. "We can't keep waiting for them when there are other people interested."

Timothy L. Kissler, one of Global's principals, said he's still working hard on the Bottom proposal.

"We remain very interested in doing this project," he said.

Kissler and Braves General Manager Bruce Baldwin are to outline the proposal during a three-day visit by regional leaders to Louisville, Ky., as part of the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce's annual field trip to see how other cities run themselves.

Wilder is among the roughly 100 movers and shakers on that excursion, which began yesterday.

The mayor has been complaining for more than six weeks that the Braves are stalling him. He says he's open to other ideas for the Bottom.

Goldman said those ideas have been flowing in......."

The rest of the article

Wow, Richmond's redevelopment is moving into high gear. Keep it coming.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, there is too much to even begin to keep track of. The redevelopment is sooo broad, across all areas of the city. It's truly a great time to watch Richmond transition. Ill try to keep coming what I find though

You know, I can't remember whether or not I've discussed this already, so here it goes anyways....

Rockett's Landing is a MAJOR development in downtown Richmond:

From CMSS Architects site:

"In 1607 at the fall line of the James River where navigable waters end, the first English settlers set foot on land later christened Rocketts Landing. As a British-occupied territory during the Revolutionary War, a booming international seaport throughout the 1800

Can we say more adaptive reuse?? :thumbsup:

N.Y. developers to bring home out of retirement

GREGORY J. GILLIGAN

TIMES-DISPATCH COLUMNIST

May 2, 2005

The historic Dooley-Madison home on Franklin Street downtown is going through a rebirth. A New York-based development company bought the house, built in 1803, and plans to renovate it into 27 condominiums. "We truly enjoy restoring buildings back to their heydays,"said Leonard Bayer, the director of acquisitions for Goodstein Development Corp.

Construction began recently, and the renovation should be completed by summer 2006. The 40,000- square-foot series of buildings at 206-212 W. Franklin St. has been renamed the Presidential Court Club.

Prices will range from $79,000 for a studio apartment to $598,400 for a duplex.

Nine of the 27 units will have private entrances. The development also will have an indoor pool, gymnasium and a community-club facility.

A model apartment should be ready next month.

Goodstein Development paid $1.8 million for the building. CEO Ivan Goodstein said he and other company officials were intrigued by the history of the building and its location close to The Jefferson Hotel.

"It has the history of being a luxury-style building back in the day, and we believe it will be an incredibly luxury-style building again," Goodstein said.

The building, originally called the Price House, is one of the oldest residences in the city. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

James Monroe, the fifth U.S. president, lived in the house in 1829 while attending the first Virginia Constitutional Convention.

The house's previous owners included Maj. James H. Dooley, a wealthy Richmond businessmen who sold it in 1916.

Article

Worldcoupe that sounds really great.You know I love how all of this development is going on it sounds so exciting.But dam you Virginia Beach for the tallest tower.But I bet you in a few years were going to have the tallest building again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not really concerned at all. As the city re-establishes itself as a place to live/work/and be entertained, I believe we will see some much taller towers. There are plenty of places for new towers. The huge parking lot next to the federal reserve could accomodate more than one, easily. Right now the focus is on fixing the old before beginning the new. I can't wait!

okay some info on the revitalization of the Manchester area.....

To summarize: a developer has plans to convert the 243ft Southern States grain silos (seen from I-95) into condos, as well as develop the rest of the site; conversion of the Crawford Manufacturing building (Parachute Factory) into 95 apartments and 40,000sf commercial; Philip Morris plant turning into 225 apartments and 40,000sf retail which will be known as The Tobacco Factory. Plant Zero, a 70 artist's studio, 8 apartment, cafe development in a former warehouse is expected to begin an expansion that wil include 62 apartments and 33,000 sf of commercial space; Renovation of the Atlantic Corrugated Box building for office space occupation; and so many other numerous revitalization projects that have many people calling Manchester a Soho-like arts district.

"Old area turning into arts district

Studios, cafes, condos in mix at south end of 14th Street Bridge

BY WILL JONES

Apr 17, 2005

If a paperboard-converting plant can be reborn as artist studios and a caf

Pretty cool multimedia thing from the Times-Dispatch about the Broad St. CDA-

to view it copy and paste the entire thing below:

java script:var x=window.open('http://media.gatewayva.com/photos/rtd/special/CDA/index.htm','Slideshow','toolbar=no,location=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,top=' + (screen.height-300)/2 + ',left=' + (screen.width-400)/2 + ',width=400,height=300')

Edited by wrldcoupe4

okay some info on the revitalization of the Manchester area.....

To summarize: a developer has plans to convert the 243ft Southern States grain silos (seen from I-95) into condos, as well as develop the rest of the site; conversion of the Crawford Manufacturing building (Parachute Factory) into 95 apartments and 40,000sf commercial; Philip Morris plant turning into 225 apartments and 40,000sf retail which will be known as The Tobacco Factory. Plant Zero, a 70 artist's studio, 8 apartment, cafe development in a former warehouse is expected to begin an expansion that wil include 62 apartments and 33,000 sf of commercial space; Renovation of the Atlantic Corrugated Box building for office space occupation; and so many other numerous revitalization projects that have many people calling Manchester a Soho-like arts district.

"Old area turning into arts district

Studios, cafes, condos in mix at south end of 14th Street Bridge

BY WILL JONES

Apr 17, 2005

If a paperboard-converting plant can be reborn as artist studios and a caf

Worldcoupe that sounds really great.You know I love how all of this development is going on it sounds so exciting.But dam you Virginia Beach for the tallest tower.But I bet you in a few years were going to have the tallest building again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk will have the tallest building next!!!!!! I think Va will have alot more development in the future with some great cities. The problem is that we are all too close to each other. Norfolk - Richmond 1.5 hours, but i think the development will eventually make the whole pennisula and up towards Richmond(New Kent) will all become a huge suburbs. I wonder if we could eventually become one metro.....I don't know if that could happen but we are very close to each other.

Edited by rusthebuss

Norfolk will have the tallest building next!!!!!! I think Va will have alot more development in the future with some great cities. The problem is that we are all too close to each other. Norfolk - Richmond 1.5 hours, but i think the development will eventually make the whole pennisula and up towards Richmond(New Kent) will all become a huge suburbs. I wonder if we could eventually become one metro.....I don't know if that could happen but we are very close to each other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, I think that if we could get some damn high speed rail going through this state it would make a big difference. I think many people and businesses that are fed up with the high costs and traffic of D.C., yet still want to be geographically close to d.c., will begin looking to Richmond (and perhaps HR) for relocation/expansion. HR definitely has advantages for defense contractors, but it could also attract many other types of business. Richmond could probably cash in on the law firms and biotech, among other things. I know several people that commute to d.c. from Richmond everyday, though I don't know how they stand it. Richmond and HR are fairly close. I think it would be pretty easy to link them with high speed rail. If it was affordable, it could help alleviate some I-64 traffic in the region.

Yea, I think that if we could get some damn high speed rail going through this state it would make a big difference. I think many people and businesses that are fed up with the high costs and traffic of D.C., yet still want to be geographically close to d.c., will begin looking to Richmond (and perhaps HR) for relocation/expansion. HR definitely has advantages for defense contractors, but it could also attract many other types of business. Richmond could probably cash in on the law firms and biotech, among other things. I know several people that commute to d.c. from Richmond everyday, though I don't know how they stand it. Richmond and HR are fairly close. I think it would be pretty easy to link them with high speed rail. If it was affordable, it could help alleviate some I-64 traffic in the region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HR is starting to look away from the dependency of the military and are starting to attract other means for our economy.

HR is starting to look away from the dependency of the military and are starting to attract other means for our economy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"HR definitely has advantages for defense contractors, but it could also attract many other types of business."

I know, it's importance too especially with potential base closures looming.

Willow Lawn plans:

"Demolition begins in July on an $18 million project to revitalize The Shops at Willow Lawn.

Plans call for tearing down space that houses about 13 shops on the north side of the enclosed part of the center, from the former Dillard's store to the Victoria's Secret shop. The entrances to shops on the south side of that corridor would then face the parking lot.

Don Wood, president of Federal Realty Investment Trust, which owns Willow Lawn, said the company is in "serious negotiations with a national soft-goods retailer" to take all or most of the former Dillard's store.

The Ruby Tuesday restaurant and Lane Bryant store also would be torn down, and Federal Realty is talking to a retailer to take that space as well, he said.

Federal Realty is in "active negotiations" with Ben Franklin's owners to expand that store.

The renovation, including opening the new stores, should be completed by summer 2006."--from the RTD

"A new development plan is revitalizing one of Richmond

Awesome to hear this out of the Mayor's mouth....from Ask the Mayor and Richmond.com:

"I recently moved to the Richmond area last year. I was very surprised at the beauty of the city, especially with the Downtown Canal Walk. Are there any plans underway to extend the Canal Walk?

Dan Sherry

Mechanicsville

Several initiatives are underway to build upon the scenic amenities we already enjoy and the Downtown Canal Walk is one of them. The Canal Walk helps to reconnect Richmonders with the James River's historical significance. The Canal Walk is an important Downtown site for recreation activities and special events. It has also stimulated significant real estate development, with several million square feet of retail, entertainment, office, residential and museum space on adjacent properties either completed or well underway.

Extending the Canal Walk eastward to the Great Ship Lock Park (at Pear and Dock Streets) is supported by Richmond's Citywide Master Plan and its Downtown Plan as a primary extension of the public's "open space network" in Downtown. Canal Walk East, as it is called, will provide an important link to residential areas along Tobacco Row as well as future developments east of Tobacco Row. Funding has been obtained for the design and construction of Canal Walk East as Richmond's segment of the planned Virginia Capital Trail bicycle/pedestrian pathway between Colonial Williamsburg and our city."

This article wasn't directly about the Richmond Convention Center, but it did point out some pretty big events coming to Richmond that will give it national and international attention.....

RTD Article

More than two dozen local officials will trade their stodgy meeting rooms for the land of palm trees, umbrella drinks and the big kahuna himself, Don Ho.

This summer 27 officials from Richmond-area counties plan to travel to Hawaii largely at taxpayers' expense for the annual conference of the National Association of Counties.

The meeting, scheduled for July 15 to 19 at the Hawaii Convention Center in Honolulu, is proving slightly more popular than last year's meeting in Phoenix. Then, 20 local officials, including those from the Tri-Cities area, attended that convention, according to a survey by The Times-Dispatch.

"Although it's a beautiful location -- I won't disagree with that -- there's a lot of work to be done," said Edward B. Barber, chairman of the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors.

A strong showing is crucial this year, several officials said, because national association's 2007 conference will be held at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. The annual meeting, which offers networking opportunities and scores of workshops on issues affecting counties, usually attracts 4,000 to 5,000 conventioneers.

Malvern R. Butler, chairman of the Goochland County Board of Supervisors, agreed it is crucial for local officials to go to Hawaii to plan and promote the 2007 conference. A second international conference of government officials is scheduled here for 2008.