Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Do you mean his apartment building, formerly Johnson Willis Hospital? I spent three weeks there strung up in traction back in the 70's.

Coupe, I was hoping you were in Richmond this weekend to take pictures. But when I looked at the Vista's live cam, it is very overcast.

I noticed while scanning that the ugly advertising sign is still on Mayo's Island greeting visitors approaching Richmond on I-95. Wasn't it determined the sign was illegal and had to be removed? Or did i make that up?

I think Coupe said it was illegal. If I weren't running out, I'd upload it. It's the Mega Millions one right? It should read "Welcome to Richmond!"

Speaking of which, are there any plans to do something with 'your' building in the future? It needs some serious TLC :)

He means the black and gold building at 7th and Broad. That building is our jobsite office. (Richmond Federal Courthouse project).

I have "heard" that the building will be receiving a major face lift sometime after the Courthouse is finished.

Edited by Shakman

He means the black and gold building at 7th and Broad. That building is our jobsite office. (Richmond Federal Courthouse project).

I have "heard" that the building will be receiving a maojr face lift sometime after the Courthouse is finished.

Oh, that building! That's the one I want to gut and convert to a procenium theatre. It already has the framework for such a conversion. Have you noticed the rear section on 7th street that is higher than the front portion? That's a ready-built stage house if it doesn't have interior verticle posts. I figure it could convert to a nice four to five hundred seat theatre perfect as a LORT playhouse to replace the one Richmond lost when Theatre Virginia went belly-up. It could have nearby rehearsal halls and offices on upper levels of Blues Armory...that is, unless someone wants to convert Blues Armory to a Symphony Hall. :)

Edited by burt

BTW before I forget, GRTC is relocating from their location on Davis and Cary to a new facility and HQ in South Richmond. Once they have completed their relocation 2009-10, the prime parcel will be available for development.

So, if street cars ever return to downtown they and buses will have to cross the river for servicing? Have they identified a specific location?

I can't imagine anything except residential along the Robinson/Idlewood/Stafford/Byrd Park location. Might be a good place for an Urban Village since the site is so large.

I would imagine that a separate facility would be used for streetcars, but yes they have identified the location:

"In February 2006, GRTC Transit System purchased 11.74 acres of land located at 301 E. Belt Boulevard in south Richmond, approximately five miles from downtown Richmond. The property is located in Council District 8 and in the Midlothian Planning District."

GRTCnew.jpg

From GRTC's property overview:

In February 2006, GRTC Transit System purchased 11.74 acres of land located at 301 E. Belt Boulevard in south Richmond, approximately five miles from downtown Richmond. The property is located in Council District 8 and in the Midlothian Planning District.

Immediately to North, the rear portion of the site is bordered by an abandoned CSX rail line that creates a heavily wooded buffer between the site and single & multi-family residential development. Immediately to the South, between the front of the site and Belt Boulevard, the site is bordered by a number of small commercial retail facilities, as well as the City of Richmond Police Station and a church center. A larger number of commercial facilities are also across Belt Boulevard such as a bank, fast-food restaurant, tire store, and gas stations. The site is alsobordered by commercial development to east & west.

Not much to report from today's Building Permits list in the TD. And what little info it contains is ancient history, I believe. Such as: 140 Virginia Street (Toad's Place); lower basement level, add mezzanine and second floor, shell, finishes only, add HVAC, plumbing, electric and roof/window - $4.5 million.

9 East Clay. Convert Church to 8 condos. $430,000. (I don't remember reading this anywhere).

Edited by burt

A structure similar to The Watergate on the banks of The Potomac would look nice down there on The James, IMO. But not this uninspired design!

Does anybody else agree that perhaps a mid-rise Watergate-like complex would be a good fit for Rockets Wharf? At 8 to 10 stories, it would not interfere with anybody's view atop Libby or Chimboraza Hills. The developers would have no need for a wide "viewing" gap, thus providing enough horizontal space for the large number of units proposed.

I'm not aware that the Lehigh silos, further downstream, block anyone's view of the bend in the James (see Coupe's picture posted Sept. 11 at 7:26PM which is presently on page 77 of this thread). But they need to be razed regardless of what rises upstream near Great Ship Lock. They are a blot on the city's waterfront.

Edited by burt

I wanted to let you all know that next sunday their gonna have the big Downtown Development Sunday RTD again like they did last year around this time since I know alot of you all are out of town for most of the time I will scan and post what is important but i'm sure Tommy can help me if he gets the sunday paper but Tommy if I were you I'd go out and get me a Sunday Paper to look at all the Downtown Developlments cause if its like last years than I've got a lot of scanning to do.

Thanks, Joey. I'll alert my friends in Richmond to save a copy for me.

Now: I found a story about plans for Murphy's and the Richmond Hotel. If anyone knows how to do it, go on line to the RTD and track back to Metro Virginia news on Friday, September 15th. You'll see a headline: "Architects Chosen for City Projects". All of you know that I am incapable of such an intricate piece of computer work, so I would appreciate someone with smarts to volunteer and post the story here. :) .

Edited by burt

Thanks, Joey. I'll alert my friends in Richmond to save a copy for me.

Now: I found a story about plans for Murphy's and the Richmond Hotel. If anyone knows how to do it, go on line to the RTD and track back to Metro Virginia news on Friday, September 15th. You'll see a headline: "Architects Chosen for City Projects". All of you know that I am incapable of such an intricate piece of computer work, so I would appreciate someone with smarts to volunteer and post the story here. :) .

Architects chosen for city projects

Architects have been selected for the renovation of the Ninth Street Office Building and the replacement of the Eighth Street Office Building in downtown Richmond.

Commonwealth Architects, of Richmond, and Perkins+Will, of Washington, will prepare the designs with input from representatives of the city and historic-preservation groups, state officials said.

State officials said they want to replace the Eighth Street building with one of landmark quality, with underground parking, retail on the first floor and potentially 12 floors of office space.

"We're looking for a building that would not be a simple box," said Richard F. Sliwoski, director of the state Department of General Services. "We're looking for a gateway to Capitol Square with a presence on Broad Street."

Ill have to head out early Sunday to make sure there's a copy left, Ill keep an eye out, Joey :thumbsup:

Thanks for the head's up on this story Burt and the link Tommy! I can't believe I overlooked it. Commonwealth Architects does a nice job, so I expect their preservation/renovation of the 9th St office building to be top notch. I also look forward to seeing what is planned at 8th and Broad. At least we know they envision something grand... that isn't a box! That intersection will have some great architecture, with the new Federal Courthouse, new State office building up to 12 floors, the Library of Virginia and others.

I'm also encouraged that the paper listed retail development along Broad backing up what I found earlier...

Does anybody else agree that perhaps a mid-rise Watergate-like complex would be a good fit for Rockets Wharf? At 8 to 10 stories, it would not interfere with anybody's view atop Libby or Chimboraza Hills. The developers would have no need for a wide "viewing" gap, thus providing enough horizontal space for the large number of units proposed.

I'm not aware that the Lehigh silos, further downstream, block anyone's view of the bend in the James (see Coupe's picture posted Sept. 11 at 7:26PM which is presently on page 77 of this thread). But they need to be razed regardless of what rises upstream near Great Ship Lock. They are a blot on the city's waterfront.

Chimborozo's view shouldn't be hindered at all. I give you this Burt, if they build the buildings at 9 stories, roughly the height of the silos, they would at least hinder the view of the river and a part of Ancarrow's Landing Park, but not the horizon. If there is an 18 story tower, it would ruin the view. However, the bend itself would be spared. My issue was not with the bend being blocked, it was the river as it flows to the bend being blocked. It appears so natural and untouched by man.

Libby Hill Park Pan 1

Libby Hill Park Pan 2

Edited by Cadeho

I don't see anything in the 8th street office plan about incorporating parts of Murphy's facade. But it is reassuring that a landmark quality building will hopefully replace it.

Also, there was no discussion about whether or not the new building would encompass the 9th and Broad empty lot.

There were no details on planned restoration of Richmond Hotel, but I suspect there'll be little change to its exterior. It would be nice if the lobby could look the way it did in the hotel's heyday.

Edited by burt

I don't see anything in the 8th street office plan about incorporating parts of Murphy's facade. But it is reassuring that a landmark quality building will hopefully replace it.

Also, there was no discussion about whether or not the new building would encompass the 9th and Broad empty lot.

There were no details on planned restoration of Richmond Hotel, but I suspect there'll be little change to its exterior. It would be nice if the lobby could look the way it did in the hotel's heyday.

From what I have learned, currently there are no plans to save the facade of the Murphy Hotel.

Since the new structure will be on top of the hill, it should be visible from most approaches into Downtown. I hope the structure has a lot of glass with a good size spire on top.

From what I have learned, currently there are no plans to save the facade of the Murphy Hotel.

Since the new structure will be on top of the hill, it should be visible from most approaches into Downtown. I hope the structure has a lot of glass with a good size spire on top.

At 12 stories, it won't be much higher than the FCH, Shak - especially since I imagine your floors are probably 12' high on average. They say they want a landmark building that will be a "gateway to Capitol Square." They also speculate 12 floors of OFFICE SPACE. Maybe that means there will be several decks of parking giving the building more height. Also, I don't know of any State buildings that have retail on the ground levels; this would be a welcome departure from the norm. Let's hope at least for some roof adornment so we won't have another flat top.

Edited by burt