Richmond Developments

Cotuit

At 12 stories, it won't be much higher than the FCH, Shak - especially since I imagine your floors are probably 12' high on average. They say they want a landmark building that will be a "gateway to Capitol Square." They also speculate 12 floors of OFFICE SPACE. Maybe that means there will be several decks of parking giving the building more height. Also, I don't know of any State buildings that have retail on the ground levels; this would be a welcome departure from the norm. Let's hope at least for some roof adornment so we won't have another flat top.

At 12 stories, it maybe a 200-foot building. FCH is 8 floors at 140 feet at its highest point (vent hood on top of the Stair shaft leading to the roof). FCH floors vary from 10 feet upto 22 feet in height. The FCH in Alexandria, VA is 9 floors but at 235 feet tall.

Currently, the Murphy Hotel is about 11 floors with low ceilings. I guess we will find out once the design is complete.

Where's that old rendering from a few years ago of the new building at that site? I thought it was a nice building. Was it one Ryan had posted?

This was it.

commonwealth_building_rendering1.jpg

Hope Ryan doesn't mind I got it from him.

Edited by Cadeho

I think this is great news:

City using inmates in fight against blight

After several months of coordinating with Mayor L. Douglas Wilder, the City Council and city judges, Woody's Community Abatement Program has started taking a bite out of blight.

Last Wednesday, the first of Woody's five-inmate detail crews tackled the 3-foot-high grass and weeds at 1613 Mechanicsville Turnpike and tamed the overgrowth with a combination of weed whackers and sweat.

The sheriff's department has a goal of cleaning up 800 properties with up to four teams of inmates. That's roughly the number of so-called nuisance properties identified by inspectors for the Department of Community Development.

The move will save the city hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That's great, but the city if it had a better policy towards blight that leaves vacant lots like that, there would be no need. That was probably one of the lots they chose to demolish than find someone to rehab once it became their property.

There's more on this subject in today's TD. Apparently the city wants to speed up construction of garages on the two lots at 6th/7th and Grace and 4th/5th and Broad. The new M&R Hilton will need indoor parking for its guests and (my comment, not theirs) The Carpenter Center would benefit.

And they need to have retail!

A "Street Talk" item in the Style Weekly out today suggests that Wilder has lost his grip on the Murphy Hotel for Law/Medical school uses by UofR and VCU. I guess we know from stories above that the state has other plans for Murphy's in the form of a new landmark 8th Street Office Building.

I wish Wilder would turn his attention to the fallow John Marshall Hotel and convince the two universities that it would be an ideal choice for their school(s) and residences. Though it is a few blocks further away from VCU Medical, city courts and the new Fed Court House, it is nonetheless a perfect location. What's more, its existing ballroom, convention area and other off-lobby rooms provide far more usable space than Murphy's could ever have provided.

I think this is great news:

City using inmates in fight against blight

The move will save the city hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This sounds like an excellent plan. Woody is to be commended. Giving opportunities to inmates imprisoned for non-violent offenses is also giving them hope for a productive future upon release.

I hope they can find similar opportunities for the worst of the worst behind the walls as well. Work or other involvement in classes and/or activities should cut down on idle thoughts of revenge, escape and mayhem.

This sounds like an excellent plan. Woody is to be commended. Giving opportunities to inmates imprisoned for non-violent offenses is also giving them hope for a productive future upon release.

I hope they can find similar opportunities for the worst of the worst behind the walls as well. Work or other involvement in classes and/or activities should cut down on idle thoughts of revenge, escape and mayhem.

Some penal institutions allow prisoners to adopt dogs and train them as seeing-eye companions or simply to prepare them for adoption by families seeking pets. The downside is that the prisoners, after learning to love, have to relenquish the dogs. But the experience enriches their lives with each new animal they train.

Baking Up a Rebirth - Nolde Bakery Condominiums in Church Hill

Marathon Development (Granby Tower folks) invested $20 million in the redevelopment of the Nolde Bakery.

It has been several decades since Church Hill was enveloped in the warm, sweet smells of the Nolde Bakery but area residents and businesses will soon smell something much sweeter wafting from the bakery - revitalization and commerce....

...Just across Broad Street from the born-again bakery, several formerly vacant storefronts have construction company signs out front and brown butcher paper covering the windows - telltale signs of renovation.

Maybe the Nolde Bakery Condominiums will prove to be the best thing to happen to Church Hill since, well, sliced bread.

Also, the project has a new and improved website including some nice photos of Church Hill

http://www.noldecondos.com/

Edited by wrldcoupe4

The Nolde Bakery condos are a project of Buddy Gaddams the Benedictine School graduate who is well known in Norfolk Construction circles. He is building Granby Tower, and there are a couple of pictures of him in the web site posted above by Coupe. He looks to be about the age of Downtowner and Tburban :lol: Well that may be a stretch, but like them, he is a good looking young man.

A story under "News" on the site says that more than half of the units have been sold.

Also, old St. Patrick's School two blocks away on Grace at 27th street has been converted to condos, but I don't think it is a Gaddams project.

Edited by burt

A "Street Talk" item in the Style Weekly out today suggests that Wilder has lost his grip on the Murphy Hotel for Law/Medical school uses by UofR and VCU. I guess we know from stories above that the state has other plans for Murphy's in the form of a new landmark 8th Street Office Building.

I wish Wilder would turn his attention to the fallow John Marshall Hotel and convince the two universities that it would be an ideal choice for their school(s) and residences. Though it is a few blocks further away from VCU Medical, city courts and the new Fed Court House, it is nonetheless a perfect location. What's more, its existing ballroom, convention area and other off-lobby rooms provide far more usable space than Murphy's could ever have provided.

I'm curious if anybody shares my enthusiasm? Whether yes or no, please comment. Do you think Wilder should proceed with hopes and dreams for a VCU/UR collaboration on a Law School dealing with, among other matters, medical law? Do you think my suggestion of the John Marshall Hotel has any validity?

Edited by burt