Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Shakman has probably posted this, but just as a refresher the New Federal Court House will be named the Robert R. Mehrige/Spottswood Robins Building. Judge Robins was probably one of the first African American Federal judges in this region. Judge Mehrige endured threats to his life in an important segregation/integration decision decades ago in Richmond.

The old Court House below Capital Square on Bank Street (also fronting on Main east of 10th) is named for Justice Lewis F. Powell and the U. S. Court of Appeals will remain there.

Shakman has probably posted this, but just as a refresher the New Federal Court House will be named the Robert R. Mehrige/Spottswood Robins Building. Judge Robins was probably one of the first African American Federal judges in this region. Judge Mehrige endured threats to his life in an important segregation/integration decision decades ago in Richmond.

The old Court House below Capital Square on Bank Street (also fronting on Main east of 10th) is named for Justice Lewis F. Powell and the U. S. Court of Appeals will remain there.

Nope... You beat me to it. :cry:

Was The Bottom busy last night? And did you visit any other spots? Have you been into Old City Bar?

I'd say the Bottom was pretty busy last night. After spending several hours at Popkin, some of my friends and I headed over to Stool Pigeon's and then on to Dog House. The crowd at Popkin was mixed and fairly steady throughout the night. If I were to speak to the owners I'd recommend turning the music up and maybe the lights down after 9PM. It really is a beutiful building and I see something new everytime I go in there.

Virginia Performing Arts meets funding goal

Richmond Times-Dispatch Dec 20, 2006

Carpenter Center [July 2005]

DEAN HOFFMEYER / TIMES-DISPATCH

LOCAL NEWS: City of Richmond

The Virginia Performing Arts Foundation announced today that it has met its fundraising goal to build additional theaters and support spaces as part of a planned renovation of the Carpenter Center.

Officials said they've raised more than $20 million from private sources for facilities planned in what is left of the Thalhimers building at East Grace and Seventh streets.

RELATED

Major details remain on plan for arts center

Arts complex gets city-focused name

The foundation reached its goal after receiving pledges of $3 million from Stan and Dorothy Pauley, $2 million from the Carpenter Foundation, $1.5 million from the Wachovia Foundation and $1.5 million from another corporation that did not want to be named. Officials said they will continue raising funds for an endowment.

The arts center, planned to open in fall 2009, will be known as Richmond CenterStage. The Carpenter Center will be known as the Carpenter Theater, and the eastern portion of the block will be known as Dorothy Pauley Square. Its facilities are expected to include a community playhouse, multipurpose theater, arts-education center and support spaces.

The foundation has spent the past year working with the city's performing arts committee to revamp the arts-center project with an emphasis on reopening the Carpenter Center. The committee is scheduled to submit its final report to Mayor L. Douglas Wilder by Dec. 31.

For more on the arts update, see tomorrow's Times-Dispatch.

This is the news I was sure would break, Henry!

Now, barring any shennanigans from City Hall, work on the entertainment complex can seriously get under way before spring with completion in late 2009 or early 2010. :yahoo:

Shak has reported that the "hole" on Broad has been filled. I'm sure it will be seeded and landscaped to provide excellent views of the new Fed Court House for eastbound traffic on Broad and from the windows of The Marriott and M&R Hilton. A portion of the lot will have to be re-excavated in order to provide foundation for new stage work at the CC and the area will also serve as a staging area for construction.

Mission for Tommy: Thursday, when you're taking pix downtown, please go to the Grace Street front of the Carpenter Center and take a clear shot of the sign showing a rendering of how the finished complex will look when completed.

Edited by burt

Mission for Tommy: Thursday, when you're taking pix downtown, please go to the Grace Street front of the Carpenter Center and take a clear shot of the sign showing a rendering of how the finished complex will look when completed.

Actually just saw it on the news! Ill definitely have to snag a shot of it while I'm there.

Well, one blessing, Henry: he doesn't (officially) have Goldman beside him calling the shots.

If City ownership is going to be the stumbling block and the reason for further delays, I say raise the white flag. The Landmark and Coliseum are already owned by the City and, despite having hired out-of-town operators and/or bookers, I'll bet some in Wilder's administration would be just as happy if showbiz did not involve the city.

Edited by burt