Richmond Developments

Cotuit

In order for the city to legally provide its very necessary funding, it needs to have ownership from what I understand. Obviously, the city could have ownership of the property and have VAPAF or whatever running the buildings.

Given that, the only stumbling block would be if VAPAF refused to give ownership to the city. Since the city has the legal obligation of ownership, I'd hope that VAPAF would just accept that so the show can go on.

In order for the city to legally provide its very necessary funding, it needs to have ownership from what I understand. Obviously, the city could have ownership of the property and have VAPAF or whatever running the buildings.

Given that, the only stumbling block would be if VAPAF refused to give ownership to the city. Since the city has the legal obligation of ownership, I'd hope that VAPAF would just accept that so the show can go on.

That's what "they" say, Coupe, and if it's true, I'm with you -- raise the white flag. But do other cities (notably Norfolk) who offer financial assistance to non-public projects insist on ownership?

I look forward to the commission's final report which should shed more light on everything. At least all the money has been raised or accounted for....I thought I'd never see the day.

And in the end, I think all the parties involved are at fault on some level for all the negative things that have happened throughout this ordeal. It's unfortunate because in the end, it's the Arts and the Community which matter most and are most affected.

So hopefully, everything can move forward soon without any more bickering amongst the city and the foundation or others.

You are partially right on one point; all parties involved are at fault on some level. But some more than others.

The nearest concillatory tone I've read from career opponents was from a blogger today who allowed his surprise over the Foundation's success in meeting its fund-raising goal.

I'm puzzled over the City's demand for ownership. Does it have money in VMFA and The Science Museum?

Interesting story on NBC12 this evening. If half the things happen in this story I'll be happy:

Land deal could change the face of Richmond's East End

Interesting... well since the city has made public that it has plans for in and around Main Street Station, I'll just say that from what I've seen, they have very lofty goals. If they can accomplish them at the site, it would be one hell of a place. The MSS project would include an area larger than the train shed. They are looking for national destination retailers and 3 or more restaurants in the train shed... Plans could include a relinking of Franklin St beneath the train shed. Look for other historic buildings nearby to be brought back to life as well as new construction.

Another note on the elongated report with details tonight by Mr. Daudani.....the Lehigh Silos will be turned over to the city, and be knocked down to make way for a marina, park space, and an entertainment area. This will be awesome! Now all we need is that darn Gas Works site in the swing of things...

When MSS was a shopping mall, it had lots of individual stores in addition to kiosks. None of the stores was particularly high end, but the two-level mall was quite attractive.

As Napier points out it was before its time. Only a hundred brave souls called the Bottom and adjacent area home; now, the population is in the thousands. Together with nearby esthetic and commercial improvements, maybe the old station's day has arrived.

Some transportation enthusiasts had probably dreamed of stub-end rails restored to the shed to increase train operations, but realistically MSS will probably never be more than a run-thru stop.

I've never understood why serious discussion has not been directed to establishing an indoor farmers market underneath the shed. Combined with Wilder's plan for a thriving mart on the train level it would make a lot of sense. And restoration of Franklin Street thru the project also makes sense. Landscaped parking, perhaps including a deck, could replace Loving Produce acreage.

The open-air market on 17th should be glass-enclosed and maintained for its commercial potential and historic value.

^ Here ya go.

My thanks as usual, Guy. I figured you guys were so wrapped up in the $4 Billion Asian deal that I didn't want to distract you. :)

That's quite a deal for VB, if it goes further. But even if it doesn't, don't you still have proposals by Hyatt and AH? Maybe the Korean interest will spur the competition to enlarge their plans.

Another note on the elongated report with details tonight by Mr. Daudani.....the Lehigh Silos will be turned over to the city, and be knocked down to make way for a marina, park space, and an entertainment area. This will be awesome! Now all we need is that darn Gas Works site in the swing of things...

My understanding was that Rockett's would essentially run up to right near the Lucky Strike factory at the end of tobacco row, encompassing the fulton site and the silos, but i guess that it isn't going to include the silos since the city is taking the initiative on that. Is Rockett's still planning to demo the fulton site and develop that or was that my imagination? Between the Lucky Strike work, the Libby Hill Park being restored, Echo Harbour, Rockett's and this thing by the city the east side of the riverfront is going to look completely different in 5-10 years. Very exciting

It IS confusing, rvawoody. I thought, too, Rocketts' city portion would occupy the Intermediate Terminal area. Echo Harbour has never been part of Rocketts plan, I don't think. And I have no idea of plans for the Fulton Gas Works.

Does everyone realize that with the completion of Lucky Strike and the Canal Loft project, all of Tobacco Row residential will be completed? Canal Loft is not part of Tobacco Row ownership, but it is one of the original cigarette-making factories in the row. The Holocaust Museum encompasses an entire building between 21st and 22nd. Edgeworth is an office complex, and the Lucky Strike Power Plant's future use is not yet determined.

Thus, the entire row on Cary Street between 19th and Pear Streets -- about 8 blocks -- represents practically total rejuvenation of the marvellous old district.

There are no formal plans for the Fulton Gas Works site. Earlier this year, the city said they had been in talks with the Rockett's folks to develop a master plan for between Tobacco Row and Rockett's. Never heard the outcome though.

We'll hear more in January I think

Also, I think the Power Plant's future has been determined, it just hasn't been released yet.