Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Anyone know about the Jefferson Mews townhouses being acquired by VCU and being turned into condos for the med students, or the demolition of the southern portion along Cedar (Pleasants) St and Venable?

I gotta say... I lived in Richmond for seven years, and finally moved to Charlotte a year and a half ago. One of my biggest gripes about Richmond was that nothing ever got done as far as development. To me, it felt like I was living in a burnt out city, full of low rent buildings and backward opinions about progress. But I went back up this past weekend to visit friends and I can't even RECOGNIZE a lot of the same places. I am simply amazed, and kind of upset that I dismissed this fine city and moveed away (in my defense I did not leave for only this reason). But I wish that my seven years there could have been filled with the excitment of all this new development.

I was disgusted by the inability to get The Diamond moved to Shockoe Bottom. I was quite sure that RVA would always be content to have abandoned warehouses and run down brick row houses. And shortly after I moved away, the plan for The Diamond was dropped and I said "I knew it would be...I told ya so." But I am honestly so surprized by a lot of stuff there now. The development along Broad with the courthouse and performing arts center is going to amazing. I was never, and still am not a fan of the City Hall building. I am amazed by the under construction condo at Mayo Island. They do a LOT of the density of the city, and I got a real feeling of an industrial German city when coming across from Manchester (in a good way). The Phillip Morris campus does a good job for that part of the city, especially in adding to the entry from 64 Westbound. I especially like the way that Leigh Street is surrounded now at the colliseum.

I will admit that the brick empire of VCU is a bit bland, but it is a huge step up from the vast crumbling parking lots across Chamberlane from Monroe Park.

So in other words, I am a bit jealous. Charlotte is shiney and new and our buildings are tall and bright at night, but Richmond...I am proud of you.

You and Burt are not the only ones. I, too, get excited when I return to Richmond, especially when I haven't visited in a while. The city is doing pretty well. Sure, there are still improvements to be made, but we are moving in the right direction. I currently live in Montana right now (soon to live in California) and leaving Richmond was a good day then, but now has been very sad for me ever since. I wish I was around for all of this exciting development going on too! Thanks for your comments and please, spread the word about Richmond!!!

I'll have to join the club with The Escapists, eandslee, and burt. Spending most of my life in Harrisonburg the past 6 or 7 months has invigorated my appreciation for Richmond and its development. Every time I come back home, I take every opportunity to I can to explore the nooks and crannies that I don't normally have a chance to see. Libby Hill has become a place of personal retreat as one can lay on the hill at night and look at the east side of downtown Richmond.

I'm seriously counting the days until I'm back home to run the Monument Avenue 10k... and then I have 6 more weeks until I'm in Richmond for good... and will hopefully move into Oregon Hill.

Anyone know about the Jefferson Mews townhouses being acquired by VCU and being turned into condos for the med students, or the demolition of the southern portion along Cedar (Pleasants) St and Venable?

Isn't the Jefferson Mews complex on Jefferson between Leigh and Clay Streets in Church Hill? Do you mean the Jefferson townhomes on the edge of Union Hill? Where did you hear this?

Burt I really hope so too. It really needs a replacement bad. I've noticed lots of Cities getting Replacement Arena's. Pittsburgh is the most recent one I have heard. Pittsburgh finally agrred on getting a new arena since the Pittsburgh Penguins were thinking about moving to Kansas City MO.

Coliseum Conundrum

Very good article about the future of the Coliseum... It looks like discussions have begun on at least some level about either renovating or replacing it.

Thoughts?

So what if Elvis played there, we NEED a new arena! If anything, that is a perfect indication that our facility needs to be replaced - no city is dumb enough to have an arena so old that they can claim such an infamous accalade! I hate that Richmond gets passed over by events like the NCAA Tournament. Just think how awesome that would be if we could land tourny games in Richmond again. Greensboro, NC lands it almost every year...why not Richmond???!!!

I agree, but I thought we'd wait till there is more information. Though if everyone thinks it should have its own thread, I don't mind at all.

While I'd definitely love to see a heavy renovation or replacement, two tough questions are:

(1) If a replacement is the best option, WHERE do you build it? If on the existing site, what do we do in the downtime between the Coliseum's demo and the opening of a new facility (multi-year absence). If in a different location, where?

(2) How do we pay for it? The $200 million pricetag floated in the article seems almost conservative to me. Construction costs are always rising.

Like a song Marvin Gaye and Martha & The Vandellas sang, "Tear It On Down."

We always get syuck in the mud here in Richmond... and of course Henrico and Chesterfield could care less. One is busy building its own city and the other is busy cramming as many people as it can within its borders without proper services. Forget about Richmond and what represents us all. It'd be nice to have a bigger arena that can attract big acts and games. It'd be nice to see us on national tv for something good again. But there are some people out there satisfied with whatever we have. Maybe they think we don't have potential for anything. I don't think we could ever land a professional team since we never support them. Richmond's like the kid who keeps getting new pets and neglects them until they die. Maybe it is better we stay where we are because we just can't do. The Coliseum works just fine and it'll be here in 2071 with a historical marker outside saying, "Elvis played here."

Unlike the stadium in Shockoe, I would support a newer, less depressing structure at the Coliseum site. The Bio-Tech park is running out of space? Well when they're basically building a gloried basement and Philip Morris decided to sprawl out on three blocks, I guess so. But if we were to move the Coliseum, where would we put it? It's not like Richmond has a lot of space, and well... maybe that would be better for Shockoe than a stadium... it is an entertainment district right? The portion of Jackson Ward and Navy Hill claimed by the Bio-Tech Park and the Convention Center is basically dead anyway.

But I think, if Trani thinks, it'll be.

control c... and control v

Heres my thoughts on having a new Arena. I think that having a new Arena will help many acts not pass by Richmond but go into Richmond. I also heard in the article that loupassi said that we can no longer keep paying for renovations because its getting so costly and renovations keep going and going cost wise that with a new arena you wouldn't have to worry about renovations for many years unless of a natural disaster or something else unordinary. On the other side I still see lots of big acts still at the Coliseum this year like Martina McBride,Monster Jam and numerous other big things but with a new arena we can attract twice as much. I also wonder this with the Sports Situation. Is the reason why no one goes to watch Professional Sports in Richmond because we are so minor with Hockey and Basketball and even baseball. I almost feel like if we try a Pro Sports Team again possibly an Expansion Team with say like NBA or NHL that maybe more people would come to watch since you would see All Star Players from your team plus other teams that make it big. Because I feel like if we keep getting smaller with sports than we won't ever have big sports attendances. Even if we can have a few different exhibition games here with different teams we could experiment it that way.

Edited by Downtowner

Metro Richmond should and will get a new state-of-the-art arena seating upward of 18,000, but I know the city well enough to realize it will not happen in my lifetime. But you and your generation will live to see it, Joey.

Where should it be is the question? As Coupe points out, the present building has committments through 2012 and would have to shuffle or cancel bookings beyond that year if construction were to occur at the present site.

Much as I would prefer to have a new arena downtown, I don't see the liklihood of it. I cannot think of a better place than its present location. But unless it were to go up on the banks of the James in Manchester, where is there sufficient space in Center City? Such a building would require at the least two city blocks with good highway connections and ample parking. Except for highway access, a site in Manchester would fit all the needs.

The Diamond area is logical if and when expansion of acreage is approved.

And of course, maybe a suburban location in neighboring counties would be the answer.

Wherever it goes, Sports Backers and the City should concentrate on attracting a major league tenant. Meanwhile, how about bringing in exhibitions on a regular seasonal basis of big league hockey, basketball, arena football and other major events? I don't know of any arena that operates in such a way; Richmond would not have a "home" team but would share with cities all over the country playing occasional games in a new Richmond venue. Big name players, regardless of their team affiliation would appeal to a lot of fans in Central Virginia.

The present Coliseum, upon completion of a replacement, perhaps could be reconfigured by a savvy architect into a new performing arts structure containing a large theatre to replace the inadequate Landmark as well as a new symphony hall and ancillary facilities for the arts.

Biotech Center can expand into the Safety building and other vacant space.

That's my 2 cents. :)

Edited by burt