Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Question of the day: Did Tommy or anyone go to the unveiling today?

I am at work so I had to miss it but I did take some before pictures.

I was able to attend actually... my gf took some pictures. I'll try to upload them in the next few days. There were a lot of people there. In fact, I think that was one of the reasons for Burt's visit, though I didn't happen to run into him there.

I attended the unveiling, a great event, despite some odd flaws- like the fact that they didn't acknowledge the sculptor who was present, and that Wilder didn't attend. Style took him to task for that. Rather than rewrite my review and post all the links to photos and news reports (some international)- I'll just link to my blog where I've already done all that: http://richmondva.wordpress.com/2007/04/03...-statue-review/

There you can find links to photos of the unveiling ceremony (TD estimated 5000 people) as well photos of the statue.

Oh and Oprah wasn't there, nor was she at the African-American Trailblazers awards event, where I heard rumors she'd be. Maya Angelou was there however, and was spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at Style's April 4th hard copy, there are renderings of Foushee Street Townhouses in the Architect Awards section. The design for the complex which will wrap around the Main and Cary Street corners has been revised, for the better IMO, since we last discussed it in one of the threads.

I wonder if there are plans to go forward with construction?

In the same section is a rendering of The Reserve Condominiums on 25th Street between Franklin and Main, and we know that complex IS under construction.

I suppose those of you who pick up Style every week have seen this Archicture section in the April 4th issue, but we who rely on the computer do not get many of the items you'll find in hard copies...including ads which I enjoy seeing.

If anyone knows how to scan this section, it would be appreciated. :)

Edited by burt

Thanks to Burt's friend!

The scan was low resolution, but it gives us an idea of what to expect. I'd be curious to know the likelihood of the manchester project.... and the Foushee project looks good, though I wish it was better integrated with the existing house instead of those gaps. The one in Church Hill is really coming along too, btw.

Here are some tidbits I picked up today in the Building Permits column in RTD's Business Section:

11 East Broad Street, All American Painting, owner; office; $218,273.

Hand Workshop, 1812 West Main Street; demolish interior partition and one section of roof; add second floor, roofs and interior partitions; $1.55 million.

17 and-a-half story Vistas condominium, 301 Virginia Street; condo and parking garage; $30 million.

My Notes: I don't believe I heard that Vistas will have a "half" floor. :)

I like the news about #11 E. Broad. That would be between Foushee and 1st Streets on the southside of Broad.

Bear in mind that most mentions in Building Permits are quite dated, IMO.

Edited by burt

Hey Burt, you mentioned elsewhere on the forum there's enough growth in Richmond to include downtown? Well why does Broad St look so depressing between Foushee and 5th? Can someone please get rid of that old and dated 1960s look?!!! There needs to be life other than some art place or some restaurant I'll never visit... and this is coming from someone who draws and eats.

A model, courtesy of RyanR @ RCW of the never built Executive Communications Tower:

execcommunitowermodel.jpg

Proposed to be built at the intersection of Midlothian Tnpk and Chippenham Pkwy in the early 80's, the tower would have risen 744'

While it could use some improvements in design here and there... I think the design could be improved upon and used downtown somewhere. Like instead of having that strange gray blob on top, the twisting design could gradually twist to a point. Talk about a signature tower! Ah well, one can dream.

A model, courtesy of RyanR @ RCW of the never built Executive Communications Tower:

execcommunitowermodel.jpg

Proposed to be built at the intersection of Midlothian Tnpk and Chippenham Pkwy in the early 80's, the tower would have risen 744'

While it could use some improvements in design here and there... I think the design could be improved upon and used downtown somewhere. Like instead of having that strange gray blob on top, the twisting design could gradually twist to a point. Talk about a signature tower! Ah well, one can dream.

We really need a building like that somewhere in the state of Virginia.I admire the twisting design.

The spiral design reminds me of the 115 story Fordham Tower proposed for Chicago. I like the spiral concept, but as for the old Virginia proposal, I'm not a big fan of the parking deck in such a prominent position at the base of the tower . . . at least I think that's a parking deck (reminds me of Chicago's Marina Towers).

Edited by gntrphoo

Isn't it a design by Jamgoshian (spelling) -- the architect who is responsible for the crinkled aluminum building near Willow Lawn and a proposed Tree House apartment tower on West Franklin?

I think it's neat, except for the screw-top crown. It would put Richmond on the architectural map.

Maybe the Religous Freedom people should build it as their "statement" monument on Mayo Island, make some income from residential tenants, and redesign the top with a laser beam to the heavens.

Incidentally, it a wilder concept of TBurban's design for the triangle plot at 9th and Cary.

Jamogochian was the architect behind the building. He had some pretty revolutionary designs and for many people they were too much to handle.

Controversial, yes -- but not nearly so much as Salvador Dali's proposed statue for Monument Avenue :lol:

This latest rendering of the Jamgochian tower is far different than the ugly thing seen earlier.

I really think this tower has merit and with a redesigned top would be a signature "thing" for Richmond.

The building to the immediate left is the Pohlig Box Factory Lofts, and at the bottom of the photo is Tobacco Row. You can see the tip top of Edgeworth and The Canal Walk Lofts.

Ahh, yes. And beyond Polig is the new apartment complex wrapping around the s/e corner of Franklin and 25th.

Did you get this off of Vista's cam? I haven't been able to access it lately.

Ahh, yes. And beyond Polig is the new apartment complex wrapping around the s/e corner of Franklin and 25th.

Did you get this off of Vista's cam? I haven't been able to access it lately.

You got it! I did get it off Vista's cam. It froze a few times before I could position it in the right spot. They could be having a few technical glitches from the storms yesterday. That, or just plain weathering, it's been up there for quite a while :lol:

I keep walking by that place and it looks really interesting. Looks like they added quite a bit onto the original structure. I love the Jeld-wen aluminum clad casement windows and those upper loft style bedrooms (I will assume) should be interesting. It would be nice to find out the name of this project, as I cannot see any advertisement at the site.