Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Here's a link to The Reading Market in Phila:

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

A market is a nice idea there, but with all the office buildings, the courthouse, MCV, and the BioTech park, I feel as if is the equivalent of placing a retail center in the very center of Innsbruck offices. I do not see where there is any room for additional retail to fill in around the armory in order to create the shopping district needed to support it. I fear that a market of such would not be as much as a destination as it would be an anchor for a larger retail area, and by itself, would flop.

Edited by Icetera

A market is a nice idea there, but with all the office buildings, the courthouse, MCV, and the BioTech park, I feel as if is the equivalent of placing a retail center in the very center of Innsbruck offices. I do not see where there is any room for additional retail to fill in around the armory in order to create the shopping district needed to support it.

IMO, it in itself would attract traffic from all over. And it would certainly be a convenience for people taking up residence downtown in general and specifically in Jackson & Monroe Wards, the condos and apartments in Berry Burk, Centennial, Grace Place, Cokesberry, Miller & Rhoads, Linden Tower, Dementi, Sydnor & Hundley, The Milk Bottle, residents above stores and restaurants in the Gallery area, just to name a few. It would not now or ever be as large as Reading Market. Not to mention that it also would be an attraction to hotel guests and for workers in buildings you have listed.

At Innsbrooke, no one goes anywhere without hopping in his car. It's a suburban mentality encouraged by wide open spaces. Not a good comparison to a compact downtown, IMO.

It just possibly might spur development of more retail down there.

But, it's just another idea to toss around. :)

My example was a bit exaggerated. The issue I am referring to, is the fact that the closest available space to begin filling in retail is several blocks away on Broad St. If there was away to get this market type in the middle of that strip, I think it would flourish more than being trapped in the middle of other less-pedestrian friendly facilities. Most of the living quarters are located in more proximity to the Broad St. strip and would supply a heavier pedestrian traffic flow needed to support such a market. I do think the location would be perfect for a more lone-destination use such as your suggested symphony hall, a muesuem, etc. Either way, it is a beautiful structure and I want to see it used appropriately (aka, not a bloody hole in the ground!).

My example was a bit exaggerated. The issue I am referring to, is the fact that the closest available space to begin filling in retail is several blocks away on Broad St. If there was away to get this market type in the middle of that strip, I think it would flourish more than being trapped in the middle of other less-pedestrian friendly facilities. Most of the living quarters are located in more proximity to the Broad St. strip and would supply a heavier pedestrian traffic flow needed to support such a market. I do think the location would be perfect for a more lone-destination use such as your suggested symphony hall, a muesuem, etc. Either way, it is a beautiful structure and I want to see it used appropriately (aka, not a bloody hole in the ground!).

Ice, Blues Armory is at 6th and Marshall -- only one block off Broad. Hardly a remote location. The Coliseum is behind it as is Bio Tech Park, Richmond CenterStage is only 2 blocks away, the National Theatre and the new Fed CH are one block as is M&R Hilton and the Marriott Hotel diagonally across Marshall.

How central can you get?

If a symphony hall were carved out of it (not very liklely despite my dreams), the structure would be on the top floors for the most part.

It was a market throughout my youth and, considering the apartheid of the time (North side of Broad was also known as the "wrong" side of the street in that regrettable age), the market flourished.

There may be other drawbacks, but I don't think location is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Times-Dispatch offers a quick update on some downtown development projects, but we know most of the information already. Still worth a look, especially the narrated slideshow! It provides some really great aerial views.

What's Going Up in Downtown Richmond?

Any way you look at it, Richmond's skyline and streetscapes are changing -- and fast.

Info on new developments mentioned

Photo Slideshow of Downtown Development

I wish this report could have been more in depth...

The slide show really provides some excellent aerial shots of the city's center. There are some excellent views of the now empty Triangle at 9th and Cary. Has any word been released about the possible infill there which we've discussed in these pages?

I hope inRich follows up soon with a slide show of renderings of proposed projects as well as pictures of restoration to existing structures.

Edited by burt

The slide show really provides some excellent aerial shots of the city's center. There are some excellent views of the now empty Triangle at 9th and Cary. Has any word been released about the possible infill there which we've discussed in these pages?

I hope inRich follows up soon with a slide show of renderings of proposed projects as well as pictures of restoration to existing structures.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that the slideshow included the triangle lot in the photo set since there hasn't been any public news of the possible tower that is to go up there yet. It was almost as if they were saying, "See this lot?...well, there will be a tower here very soon!" Very interesting. I really can't wait to hear more about what is planned for that location. Whatever it is, I hope it's tall and truely becomes a signature tower for Richmond as opposed to what the Centennial Tower developer is promising (though they promised a signature tower).

• 2 weeks later...

Living two blocks away as I do from the market, I was appalled when I learned it was closing. To be honest, it was one of the few places I could go on the weekend to get a bite to eat within 3 blocks. The pizza place reminded me of a place I used to eat at in Virginia Beach. I had just applied for a job with one of the companies when the told me they had to move because the building was closing. Now I am forced to think I will have to walk two blocks out of my way to get to the Coliseum. I hope the city sells fast and for the time being someone renovates the space. I remember the Waterside Marketplace in Norfolk, VA went through a similar transition in the mid-nineties, from public to private ownership. Now the place is dominated by the likes of Julians, Have a Nice Day, Bar Norfolk, Dirty Dicks and Hooters... and it is THRIVING. It is connected to its own parking deck, with easy access to hotels and the convention center... the similarities are striking. If someone where to buy the space and ask for large scale tenants of main stream companies to come in, they would do spectacular, especially with the Coliseum crowds around.

IMO.

I wonder where the Fire Dept and other tenants will relocate to? I think it should be emptied out by August.

A few I have spoken with are closing for good. A few others are heading to the Bottom, mainly the upstairs offices. My pizza guy is mum. It pains me to lose him!

I'm pretty sure that Blues Armory has not been seriously considered as a symphony space, but last night my friend, who is active with the symphony board, promised to mention it to Jim Ukrop and tell him I suggested they at least give it a serious look with a clever architect in tow.

I'm pretty sure that Blues Armory has not been seriously considered as a symphony space, but last night my friend, who is active with the symphony board, promised to mention it to Jim Ukrop and tell him I suggested they at least give it a serious look with a clever architect in tow.

Can it compete with the performing arts building right down the street or are you thinking differing uses that feed off each other?

Can it compete with the performing arts building right down the street or are you thinking differing uses that feed off each other?

Journi, I'm thinking dedicated Symphony Hall like Raleigh and Nashville enjoy in addition to their other perfrorming arts venues. Richmond with 1.2 million is in that class, IMO.

The VAPAF plan was for a music hall on Broad seating less than 1200 -- not very practical for the Symphony. If RSO ever gets a hall, it should accommodate 1800 at minimum. It would free up The Carpenter Theatre for other uses, but more importantly provide proper space for rehearsal, recording and performing for the excellent orchestra.

Incidentally, The present conductor has accepted an offer from Minnesota and will be gone by 2009. A search committee will begin seeking a replacement.

Edited by burt

What's the inside of Blues like?

It's vast! You should take the elevator to the top floor sometime to see for yourself. It's a big enough open, post-free space to allow solders to march around in formation. The 2nd level is made up of various very large rooms. Years ago, when 6th Street Marketplace was in planning Barkadale Theatre was asked to set up a dinner theatre arrangement in one of the big 2nd level spaces. They declined for financial reasons.

Last night when I brought up the matter, the first reaction was that it is "too big". I believe it could be gutted, fitted with an entire 1800-seat music hall and provide additional income with multi uses of remaining spaces.

I'm the first to accept that such a plan might be totally impractical. Still, at least a serious look should be taken before discarding the idea out of hand.

According to chpn, there'll be a residential and commercial development on E. Marshall.

Now I have always looked at this lot and wanted to build my compound there. Oh well, and the house I'll never afford is almost directly behind it!

On a personal note, I've discovered the things I want, I'll never have. I also wanted the designof anything going there to echo the Greek Revival row of houses along 19th St... um Cedar St.

pdf

And see Burt, look at the renderings. I like the design and LOOK! It doesn't block the view from Jefferson Hill Park. Echo Harbour better take note. They can still have a development along the river at 5, 6, or 7 stories.

Edited by Cadeho

Thanks for the Church Hill bulletin about the new midrise at the foot of Jefferson Park, Cam. It has the Richmond look so dear to your heart. I'll check out the pdf later.

The more I think about Echo Harbour the better I like it. :)

Edited by burt

I'm always suspicious when I think I'm the first to post something on here but a search didn't indicate anything recent about this. NBC12 is reporting that developers plan on renovating the Cold Storage Complex north of Broad Street. This seems like the real deal folks as the owner of Old City Bar has already signed on to bring a brewery there. Click the link to get the full details and a video of the story.

NBC12: Developers plan renovations of downtown complex

Actually Burt, the building doesn't have the "Richmond look." To me that's our watered-down version of Italiante. We need more Colonial, Federal, and Greek Revivals. My point was, Echo Harbour can keep its architecture, I don't have a problem with the architecture, but this developer was smart enough to preserve the view by not taking it away. Echo harbour needs to take note.

I am excited about the Richmond Cold Storage plans. I hope that they include a deck for parking because the land where the Loving Warehouse was and its semi-twin need development of their own that can tower.

Actually Burt, the building doesn't have the "Richmond look." To me that's our watered-down version of Italiante. We need more Colonial, Federal, and Greek Revivals. My point was, Echo Harbour can keep its architecture, I don't have a problem with the architecture, but this developer was smart enough to preserve the view by not taking it away. Echo harbour needs to take note.

I am excited about the Richmond Cold Storage plans. I hope that they include a deck for parking because the land where the Loving Warehouse was and its semi-twin need development of their own that can tower.

I'm excited, too, about Cold Storage as well as your Italinate midrise and hope they all get built.

As for Echo Harbor, there's no view for Libby Hillers to worry about. As long as the "Richmond" curve is preserved, all is well. And, by the way, that will be enhanced when Lehigh silos are dismantled.

I generally like how that Jefferson Park project is to be massed, with the office/retail space along 19th and semi-underground parking. That's much more practical in a hilly city like Richmond than it is in more flat towns where the entire underground parking would have to be excavated.

I'm not much of a fan of the Marshall Street elevation, though. It looks like almost the entire block face will be a blank wall at the pedestrian level, with only a few breaks for parking entrances. An easy way to remedy that without reworking the parking would be to give the first-floor units exterior doors along Marshall with stairs down to the sidewalk -- at least it would break it up some and give the appearance of life.

This project is going to have to appeal to the low/middle end of the price spectrum to sell, though. Richmond seems to have a glut of middle/high-end condo units.

Edited by joey

I'm excited, too, about Cold Storage as well as your Italinate midrise and hope they all get built.

As for Echo Harbor, there's no view for Libby Hillers to worry about. As long as the "Richmond" curve is preserved, all is well. And, by the way, that will be enhanced when Lehigh silos are dismantled.

The design is NOT Italiante. It's sort of modern so far like um.. what's the name of those condos near the Craig house? I've forgotten them already.

The design is NOT Italiante. It's sort of modern so far like um.. what's the name of those condos near the Craig house? I've forgotten them already.

OK, so it NOT Italinate and it's NOT Richmond, despite the inference I took from your earlier statement. But I'm glad you like it. I got nothing at all when I tried to bring up the pdf -- only a blank page.

Maybe you mean Sterling Row which is near The Craig House.

In another thread, I mentioned that Sterling Row is having its grand opening next week.