Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I'm always suspicious when I think I'm the first to post something on here but a search didn't indicate anything recent about this. NBC12 is reporting that developers plan on renovating the Cold Storage Complex north of Broad Street. This seems like the real deal folks as the owner of Old City Bar has already signed on to bring a brewery there. Click the link to get the full details and a video of the story.

NBC12: Developers plan renovations of downtown complex

I actually read some city documents about this a few months ago... I'm surprised we never discussed this project.

Anyways, I think this will be a GREAT addition to Shockoe Bottom, and a fairly large scale project. 5 city blocks being redeveloped is a big deal!

Another brew-pub sounds excellent!

One thing sticking in my head from those old documents I read was that some residential units actually wouldn't have any natural light as they would be interior units in the buildings! I thought that was kinda ehhh. Maybe this "issue" has been fixed or perhaps the city is okay with X number of units without natural light access.

I actually read some city documents about this a few months ago... I'm surprised we never discussed this project.

Anyways, I think this will be a GREAT addition to Shockoe Bottom, and a fairly large scale project. 5 city blocks being redeveloped is a big deal!

Another brew-pub sounds excellent!

One thing sticking in my head from those old documents I read was that some residential units actually wouldn't have any natural light as they would be interior units in the buildings! I thought that was kinda ehhh. Maybe this "issue" has been fixed or perhaps the city is okay with X number of units without natural light access.

Quickie question. Is the Sisson building considered part of this complex? It wouldl be really nice to come off the Broad St ramp onto Oliver Hill Way and see this development instead of abandoned warehouses.

• 2 weeks later...

Another quickie question... ;)

What's the name of the building going next to the American Tobacco Center? I drove by there the other day and noticed that the facade of an old building here is being preserved and is going to be turned into condos/apartments. The name of it eludes me so I couldn't do a search on it. Any help would be appreciated.

It was built about 1850 and can be seen in Matthew Brady's pan from Church Hill in 1865.

And I think it can be seen in some of your photos, Cam. Why don't you post them here?

All of it will be an expansion of American Tobacco apartments which, when completed, sold out quickly in the old Shockoe Valley Art Center on East Grace between 20th and 21st and adjacent buildings along 20th Street.

Next door to the corner building at 21st and Franklin which is undergoing renovation an entire new building of about 4 stories is being erected and will also contain apartments.

And by the way, the apartment building at the n/e corner of 20th and Franklin, the only parcel not in the American Tobacco portfolio, was sold at aution recently. Wonder what its status is now? If purchased by American Tobacco Apartments, it would mean they control the entire 20th/21st/Grace/Franklin block.

Edited by burt

Thanks for all the info. The building undergoing renovation on 21st and Franklin... is that the building that used to house Secrets in the City whose western wall collapsed during Gaston? Would love to see that building being used again.

If you're referring to the building on the south side of Franklin at 21st, yes that used to be a club. Is it vacant now?

There's a tiny, historic gated Hebrew Cemetery next to the club on Franklin Street.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a story by Michael Martz from today's TD about the Downtown Master Plan and comments arising from the recent charrette:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-26-0206.html

i think that he hit the nail on the head... im sorry but most people who really should be involved are not going to attend a meeting at plant zero... just a little too snooty in my opinion. No, they need to do a second, less design intensive, round of public opinion meetings in local schools around the city. If they really want a diverse opinion they could try and canvas some locals on the streets who actually are using the space they are looking to master plan. They may have come up with wonderful ideas, but whose ideas are the question...

How is plant zero snooty? A bunch of artists studios, some meeting space, living space, and a cafe is snooty?

The process is far from over, and public input will be asked for throughout. Having attended the charrette on Saturday, I can say first hand that most of the people participating lived and/or worked downtown. This past week, the entire design process has been open to the public. Anyone could come in, see what's going on, and offer suggestions, insight, etc...

i think that he hit the nail on the head... im sorry but most people who really should be involved are not going to attend a meeting at plant zero... just a little too snooty in my opinion.

And you've spent how much time around the Plant Zero folks?

Well I, for one, enjoyed the four days I attended. I just wish I had had time to do the Tree Hill design sessions. I don't feel Plant Zero or those who participated as "snooty." It was picked because it was an example of what needs to be done elsewhere in the city... and it is happening. Had it been in Shockoe Bottom somewhere, would it have been snooty? Or the Convention Center? It was open to the public and open to those who do use those streets and spaces. There were a lot of passionate people of all adult ages there.

On the diversity issue, I have asked some of those I know to take a look or to participate and every time I got, "Why?" and "That's boring." For the most part, I hate to say, blacks really don't care about planning issues, even if it affects them. the only time they seem to care is if there is a threat to something they hold dear, like bans against wearing low baggy pants and the destruction of the city's housing projects. Had the meeting been about demolishing Gilpin, Whitcomb, Mosby, Creighton, and Fairfield, the place would be so black you'd think it was Africa. The Free Press would have said nothing about a lack of diversity then.

But hey, it was way underpromoted to me. I would never have known about it had it not been for the post at RCW and it came up so quickly I couldn't request time off or a vacation. The media didn't cover it until like the very last day before it started. I doubt this was something to slight the black, Asian, and Hispanic communities. And it's not over! Now the cat is out of the bag, every opinion counts!

Edited by Cadeho

Here's the story from Michael Martz of the TD about last night's packed charrette finale. I sure would like to see some of the drawings and renderings if any of you know how to obtain them.

It looks like one-way streets will make a come-back. And exactly what is the plan for property around Ethyl (NewMarket's) Gambels Hill Headquarters and the land nearest MeadWestVaco?

And is Shockoe Creek to be uncovered? Isn't it directly under the Farmer's Market?

More details, please, from those of you who were there, and thanks Cam for sharing as much as you did.

I don't suppose there was any talk of connecting the canals, was there?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-27-0215.html

Edited by burt

Shockoe Creek can't be uncovered because it is part of the combined sewer system now. Further up in the Shockoe Valley I think the emphasis was on returning the area to green space and removing current industrial buildings to create a park like Rock Creek Park in DC or something.

There's also talk of connecting the canal that heads to Maymont and beyond with the Haxall near tredegar. The old bed would be refilled through the Ethyl property up to 5th street where the water would cascade in a series of steps down to the lower canal.

How is plant zero snooty? A bunch of artists studios, some meeting space, living space, and a cafe is snooty?

The process is far from over, and public input will be asked for throughout. Having attended the charrette on Saturday, I can say first hand that most of the people participating lived and/or worked downtown. This past week, the entire design process has been open to the public. Anyone could come in, see what's going on, and offer suggestions, insight, etc...

Ok I begged to get flamed on the snooty comment... but for the sake of argument, arent we all middle class or above male, and possible white local Richmonders? I know most people who attended were interested in the process and Im sure the design and suggestions were all nice...

For those who attended, what was your opinion of the mix of those who showed? If it was in the vicinity of a 50/50 white to African American mix, then I will hush up.

But based on the article it was nowhere near that... which is where my snooty comment originated from... I actually love the concept of Plant Zero... but in the context of this exercise I find it excluded a large, and important, portion of the local population. And this isnt just my opinion, it is the opinion of other people I have talked to who didnt go to the exercise, they found Plant Zero to be exclusive and just another portrayal of the government ignoring their opinions and needs. Why couldnt this process have been done at a library, city hall, or the convention center?

I also find it very interesting that SMBW architects is located a block or two away from this... pretty convenient for them...