Richmond Developments

Cotuit

If I can remember, I think they did a part of Shockoe Bottom at 17th and Broad, Marshall and 2nd, and Hull and 7th without the utilities. Fulton Village and I think Fulton Manor have no wires above ground... but then again, they're newer areas. But I think it can be done in phases...

They can conceal the wires coming from underground along the face of the building on the side or rear to meet up with the existing connection. If the road is due to be re-paved the city would most likely eat the cost and do it themselves. If the building or the surrounding blocks are being remodeled, the cost would pass to the developer as a necessary improvement. Necessary in the sense that underground lines are less likely to fail reducing the risk of power outages.

They can conceal the wires coming from underground along the face of the building on the side or rear to meet up with the existing connection. If the road is due to be re-paved the city would most likely eat the cost and do it themselves. If the building or the surrounding blocks are being remodeled, the cost would pass to the developer as a necessary improvement. Necessary in the sense that underground lines are less likely to fail reducing the risk of power outages.

Road and sidewalk improvements would be the perfect time to try and do this and considering most roads in Shockoe Bottom are in dire need of resurfacing, I hope the city considers doing utility burial in conjunction.

Cadeho thanks for the info. Did you get a sense of how people felt about improving the aesthetics downtown? I know there a bigger fish to fry but image plays a bigger part than people think in getting more visitors/pedestrians out and about downtown...

I'm actually in favor of exposing the cobblestones or paving block in Shockoe Bottom than more asphalt. And those cracked, tilted, ugly concrete sidewalks should be bricked over. I don't think there were any objections to removing the utilities. I think that may have been an issue there were a few applauded. Those renderings were pretty... wow. People also really wanted a greener downtown with more plants and trees. I'm not a big fan of a treed-out city because I like looking at buildings and trees get in the way. At times they can get overgrown. I believe some places look better without a ton of trees.

I wish they would extend the Broad Street median greenery in both directions -- east from 8th to at least 12th and west from 4th to at least Belvidere.

We would love that Idea as well! Also a bit of prudent pruning wouldn't hurt! the wonderful trees in front of our building are massive and block the building as well..

We would love that Idea as well! Also a bit of prudent pruning wouldn't hurt! the wonderful trees in front of our building are massive and block the building as well..

*Tree hugger raises his hand* Trees help reduce the effect of the urban heat island... and in a city like Richmond, a cool spot is hard to find... trees provide on of the few naturally cooling surfaces. I would say widening sidewalks to 20' and placing the trees in 8-10 islands would allow for people to walk around the trees and also allow the trees to grow larger. If anyone has ever visited Charlotte NC downtown you will see that the trees there are pushing 70-80 feet... twice the height of Richmonds. The main reason trees fail here is due to compaction and lack of planting room. Also if you move the trees away from the buildings you will get more of the mass effect some of the other posters are asking about.

Just my two cents...

I don't think digging up Broad which also has other tunnels underneath on the eastern side of Shockoe Hill would be a good idea as far as traffic goes... but then again traffic would be bad when they put the tracks down. Maybe that would be less work than excavating under a major road.

I don't think digging up Broad which also has other tunnels underneath on the eastern side of Shockoe Hill would be a good idea as far as traffic goes... but then again traffic would be bad when they put the tracks down. Maybe that would be less work than excavating under a major road.

we could go above the road? Below is out due to the hills and soils... Along the road is sketchy... but what about above?

Mayo Island and behind the Floodwall in Manchester

DSCF1782.jpg

south bank of the James I believe

DSCF1783.jpg

Our ship shop idea, but they have something like ship museum or something

DSCF1784.jpg

McQuinn et al...

DSCF1785.jpg

Shockoe Creek

DSCF1786.jpg

Shockoe Bottom infill I believe

DSCF1788.jpg

DSCF1789.jpg

DSCF1790.jpg

A part of the pllan

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg

I think you posted way to many pictures at once or something.... I can't take the time to look at any of them because it's frozen my browser 3 times already it took 5 minutes just to get to the bottom of the page. I tried looking at photos in the richmond photos thread and had no problems so something is wrong with this set or something.