Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Ya I really like the plan for Mayo Island. I like the idea of a Trolley Station on that island. I also like the amphitheater alot too. I like the Shockoe Bottom now and future pictures. I can't wait to see the day that shops are on all those parking lots down there. I hope it happens soon too.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears, according to SupMeUp at RCW, that a new (albeit smaller) office building is in the works for Monroe Ward at 119 S 1st St, basically the northeast corner of 1st and Canal. At 4-stories and 50,000 ft, it probably won't be anything spectacular, but it would be a great in-fill project. Street level retail could be in the works as well. A Special Use Permit has been applied for so that the building can forego any parking requirements.

Look for those blocks to grow in the next few years. Especially once the new dorms and campus buildings are done. Even this location is great, its only 2 blocks from the expansion! Tons of money to be made there in low rent apartments and street level retail from the students....

If I were rich I would be doing the project myself!

Look for those blocks to grow in the next few years. Especially once the new dorms and campus buildings are done. Even this location is great, its only 2 blocks from the expansion! Tons of money to be made there in low rent apartments and street level retail from the students....

If I were rich I would be doing the project myself!

Apparently, nearby a new apartment project may be in the works called Archer Landing that could rise as 10 stories.

Also, if another stalled project, Foushee Mews, ever gets the ball rolling, that would be even more infill nearby. I've heard that the Foushee Mews project changed ownership in the past few months, so I don't know what will end up happening now.

Looking at the pix you posted from the charrette, Cam, it looks as if there might at least be boats docked in the canal, if not coupe's and my ship shops. Does that mean that there was discussion of Norfolk Southern repairing the bacule bridge blocking passage to the Great Ship Lock? I kinda like the idea of a maritime museum at the end of Chappel Island. It could tell the story of the ship building dry docks that used to be down there and all the maritime activity the old section once knew.

I don't see a single suggestion of trying to connect Kanawa and Haxall canals. Can't believe that a connection was not stressed as VITALLY important to a canal walk feature in Richmond! People who drag their feet on this are just not imaginative and apparently don't, for unknown reasons, want to see a connection. It pisses me off royally because no one could convince me that it is undoable.

I like the idea of uncovering Shockoe Creek north of the King Bridge and forming a couple of ponds.

Uptown, those proposed buildings around The Coliseum seem odd, to say the least. And the map doesn't clearly show the new Phillip Morris Research Center. The buildings shown surrounding the Fed Reserve would be questionable additions, even if they were architectually compatible.

I note that Franklin will be realigned thru Main Street Station but surely they wouldn't divide the train shed. I suppose they just wanted to illustrate that it would run under the track trestles and shed. Was there talk of making the shed (ground and upper levels) into a proper farmers market to replace the pitiful open air thing on 17th Street?

Many thanks for recording the charrette on film and sharing it with us.

PS: Driving by I didn't see any kind of construction underway on Fed Reserve Parking Deck on Byrd between 5th and 7th, though there was lots of activity down toward M/WVaco.

Edited by burt

People did suggest connecting the canals, though it will be tough until Alcoa moves on. Plus, it won't be cheap by any means and unfortunately money is the most prohibitive factor.

The Main Street Station studies have suggested reconnecting Frankling St beneath Main St Station, though it might be only a pedestrian connection beneath. Something to do with laws on the books or something.

Some of the images are unrealistic (such as buildings surrounding the Fed Reserve tower) but that's to be expected in the beginning of the process. As time goes on, the plan will become more realistic.

It appears, according to SupMeUp at RCW, that a new (albeit smaller) office building is in the works for Monroe Ward at 119 S 1st St, basically the northeast corner of 1st and Canal. At 4-stories and 50,000 ft, it probably won't be anything spectacular, but it would be a great in-fill project. Street level retail could be in the works as well. A Special Use Permit has been applied for so that the building can forego any parking requirements.

Ahh here's a rendering courtesy SupMeUp and Ryan at RCW:

Rendering of Raven's View

I think it looks pretty good and is in the scale of the surrounding neighborhood. Commonwealth Architects usually do a nice job.

Ahh here's a rendering courtesy SupMeUp and Ryan at RCW:

Rendering of Raven's View

I think it looks pretty good and is in the scale of the surrounding neighborhood. Commonwealth Architects usually do a nice job.

I like it! It should mesh with the new buildings around Cary and VCU. It'll be nice to see this in that area..any word out on groundbreaking?

Today's Building Permits column in the TD has some good news: Philip Morris will construct a park somewhere on its downtown property that will have a FOUNTAIN/water feature :yahoo: . The cost of this project will be $650,000. The story isn't clear about the park's exact site only to say it will be in "lot south".

The night time illumination of its roof line and the promised park will brighten up the Bio Tech district.

They have space at the southeast coner of Jackson and 7th... I was hoping that maybe they could have had shop for the lunch time crowd in the area... but a fountain is good.

Is there space at 5th and Jackson? A fountain there would give traffic arriving on I-64 a good first impression of the city.

Edited by burt

Is there space at 5th and Jackson? A fountain there would give traffic arriving on I-64 a good first impression of the city.

Possibly 5th and DuVal. I think they've crowded the corner of 5th and Jackson... now there is a hidden fountain at 4th and Jackson.

Very good news! Is that complex the whole block, or just a couple buildings?

I think it's only a couple of buildings but add to it the nearby Cold Storage project it will transform that whole area. There was some concern that this project had stalled but apparently things are back on track again :)

There's a TD story today about a flock of purple martins that spend migratory time in Shockoe Bottom enroute to their seasonal destination. It has been suggested that their sky ballet could be a tourist attraction like the bat bridge in Austin.

Hopefully, pedestrians and work crews at Sisson are not being bombarded by the birds.

When you go clubbing down there don't park under a tree! :)