Richmond Developments

Cotuit

HAHAHA Burt! The trees in the median were quite slick when I was taking pics of Thalhimer's demolition. My mother says that's one problem, the other is the 7th St side of the National smells like urine... They may need to clean that up too... and speaking of Shockoe Bottom.. the corner of 19th and Grace for a mysterious reason really has a strong urine smell...

HAHAHA Burt! The trees in the median were quite slick when I was taking pics of Thalhimer's demolition. My mother says that's one problem, the other is the 7th St side of the National smells like urine... They may need to clean that up too... and speaking of Shockoe Bottom.. the corner of 19th and Grace for a mysterious reason really has a strong urine smell...

3 guesses... and the answer starts with B and ends with ums...

In my job, I have opportuntiies to develop deals "out in the field". Anyhow, in having travelled around the Richmond's East End and downtown areas I have noticed a few things that raise some concern. After, watching a news segment detailing how these partners purchased several blocks of row homes and dilapiated homes to restore and convert into rentals, a few light bulbs went off in my head. With all the new constuction of homes and condos, what is being done in regards of the preservation of areas in low-income areas. There are always going to be a certain segment of the population that fall into this category for whatever reason, I still feel it's important that those areas are kept in the radar in regards to preservation, maintenance, etc.

Will the City allow those areas to perish so more developers can purchase the area for a "good deal" and then build one-bedroom condows starting in the low 200s????

I only wish someone would hear me. Woodville needs to reclaim its identity, Fairfield should be history, and homes like those in Carver/Newtowne should take its place.

I'd love to renovate my grandmother's house and others in the surrounding blocks but it's not in a "historic" area and as long as Fairfield is a neighbor, no one's going to think it important enough to invest money in the handful of old houses left from the old "town."

Other areas of the city, I'm surprised at the amount of new places being build in the East End of the city proper... and most done respectfully close to the Italiantes in the area. I just wish there were more Greek Revivals and those cute country farm homes.

Here's the story from inRich if anybody missed it:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news/...09-13-0196.html

That block is prime real estate with easy access to the college, the expressway and numerous job oppurtunities. Someone will pay a lot of money to have that much open space. Lets hope they put the grid back together.

That block is prime real estate with easy access to the college, the expressway and numerous job oppurtunities. Someone will pay a lot of money to have that much open space. Lets hope they put the grid back together.

I would like to place a $20 bet on there being an environmental issue at that site.

Any parcel of land used as a depot for large vehicles for all those years has to have a saturation level of fuel and oil, greater than any environmental regulation will permit. It seems that I remember an issue with the old Trailways site and the bottom floor having to be "jacked" due to the saturation levels there. Any potential developers should keep that factor in the back of their heads.

DC im with you on that I mean there has definitly got to be some environmental issue with that site. I can see it with a Bus Depot or anything industrial or transportation wise. Id almost say the land that the city owns next to the diamond to store there utilities has environmental issues but if it doesnt I can guranteed its not gonna be just fresh dirt.

DC im with you on that I mean there has definitly got to be some environmental issue with that site. I can see it with a Bus Depot or anything industrial or transportation wise. Id almost say the land that the city owns next to the diamond to store there utilities has environmental issues but if it doesnt I can guranteed its not gonna be just fresh dirt.

Well trucking in and out dirt is always a large expense, and then dumping the 'dirty' dirt (yeah i said it) is a large, vigorous process, but in the case of this property, the developer would easily recover in profit margin due to the product he or she could sell.

Well trucking in and out dirt is always a large expense, and then dumping the 'dirty' dirt (yeah i said it) is a large, vigorous process, but in the case of this property, the developer would easily recover in profit margin due to the product he or she could sell.

Agreed.

Guys I couldnt help bringing up this topic again but I must say we got to have the crapiest events on going at the coliseum. Im not lying man they are flat out sad at whats going on at the coliseum. I am dying to having a new Arena more and more. If we had a better Hockey Team id go see some Hockey Games during the Winter. I would also like the Coliseum to just be put out of its misery cause its sad with all the events at the coliseum. Yep were the Laughing Stock with new entertainment venues. I really want a new Arena more and more. its killing me.

Well im not just talking about Hockey Im talking about everything is crap at the coliseum. Theres not one good thing about the coliseum these days. Im just ready to see it taken out of its misery. Cause its sad with the crap thats on going at the coliseum. I mean who would pay for that crap. I mean WTF is this Entertainment Management Company thinking that is scheduling stuff for the Coliseum.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone ever going to do something with the building next to the Marriot? The brick one facing broad on the other side of 6th st?

The building that REALLY needs attention is the brown and tan structure on the n/w corner of 7th and Broad across from The National. Our friend Shak worked out of there when he was helping to construct the new Fed CH.

I think the brown midrise at 6th and Broad gets a bad rap. It's no beauty but I sort of like its angled configuration.

A doorman and a bellhop at The Marriott whom I know and drop in to see on every visit say The Marriott is doing very brisk business. If it is sold, maybe a new owner will forge ahead with an addition bringing room count to over 600. An enlarged Marriott together with M&R Hilton Garden Inn totaling 850 rooms would help the Convention Center attract larger groups.

Edited by burt