Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I wish we could find info on Downtown Richmond Building Associates II, LLC, the company that purchased the land from thalhimers above.

I havent heard much lately about the CNB, 2C hotel is dead from what I hear, I'm not sure what is going on with the hippo, and I also havent heard anything else about canal walk east. I wish the Times-Dispatch would do some research and real reporting on this stuff......

Eric, have you noticed that a considerable amount of development news has come along since the inauguration of Wilder? His name is powerful, make no mistake! But I think he has been misled about the value of a performing arts center by petty people, described by one commentator as whiners with no agenda. I really loathe people who make personal attacks on people they hardly know. It's why I left RCW (except for my admiration for Ryan).

I love all of the big announcements...with regards to the VAPAF.....I love the idea of a new performing arts center. I love the idea of a spruced up broad st coming back to life. I don't like the fact that brad armstrong makes $250,000+ a year when the foundation is struggling to pull in sufficient funds. I think that the VAPAF should try to focus on aggressively raising more private funding. With that said, the priority should be revamping what we already have: Landmark (which should still be called the Mosque), Carpenter Center, National Theatre, as well as supporting the local performing arts groups and their facilities. Then we can build our mighty performing arts center. That said, I'd hate to see a dustbowl on broad for years to come. Its a quagmire at the moment. I think the proponents and critics both want what is best for Richmond; they just have different avenues of approach. I have a FANTASTIC idea for the fine arts in Richmond, I just wish I knew who to talk to about it....

Eric, have you noticed that a considerable amount of development news has come along since the inauguration of Wilder?  His name is powerful, make no mistake!  But I think he has been misled about the value of a performing arts center by petty people, described by one commentator as whiners with no agenda.  I really loathe people who make personal attacks on people they hardly know.  It's why I left RCW (except for my admiration for Ryan).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here, Burt. I really, honestly, don't know what to make of the whole performing arts center issue. I've heard so many good things, but at RCW, I hear so much negative. I guess I don't know enough about the performing arts center to make a definitive decision. The way I see it now; I'm just going to let happen whatever happens because I'm nothing but confused now!

I agree, and have noticed what you said about Wilder. I was hoping that once he got into office, developers would see Richmond less as a circus and more of a serious and legit pro-business, pro-quality-of-life place for developers to come in and do some awesome projects downtown. I seriously hope we hear a whole lot more serious development news soon, especially on that tract of land that was just purchased (a perfect place to put a beautiful highrise!).

I still check out RCW all the time, but I was telling Coupe that I like it here a whole lot better here because there is less "drama" and less negativity about every project out there. :wacko: I'm telling you, I get depressed and rather frustrated a lot when I read posts over there. I've even lashed out a few times when I probably shouldn't have, but hey, it felt good when I pushed the "submit" button. Ryan is an awesome guy and has done a helluva lot of work on his site! He puts his heart into that site despite all the other stuff that he does full time. He really is one to admire. I was around when RCW first got started and boy has it changed. Unfortunately, the forum, rather than getting better with more people, it has just gotten ridiculus at times. Oh well, what can you do about it now...oh yeah, we can just post on this site and be positive and progressive about Richmond development...what a novel thought! :D Glad you're around, Burt! :thumbsup:

Yes, Coupe, I several times have referred to this tract on RCW. 

The area bounded by 2nd, Main, 5th (maybe even 6th) and Canal streets is practically a wasteland of parking lots.  There may be one, two or three building of minimum distinction, but their loss, IMO, would not damage the city's fabric.  The tract slopes upward from 5th/6th to 2nd where it reaches nice elevation.  My hope is that the entire area could be developed with mixed-use, mostly residential, crowned at its higher points by a couple of high rise towers.

I think I read not long ago that another full block (maybe 2nd to 3rd between Cary and Canal) was recently sold by Thalhimer Realty.  I'm almost sure the info you just posted is the 2nd acquisition toward a possible major investment in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

speaking of this and highrise potential for that area, I think it would be exceptional to have highrises extend from the CBD towards Monroe Park near the high/mid-rise residential towers around there. I don't think it is that unrealistic, especially with entire city blocks being purchased for redevelopment in that area...!

Coup. Tell US about your fantastic idea for the arts in Richmond. I'd love to hear. Also, why do you always fail to mention the Empire Theatre complex among the existing facilities needing restoration?

And NO - the Landmark should not revert to a name that could offend a lot of people. Muslims do not believe Mosques should be places of entertainment.

Brad Armstrong deserves every penny he's paid (and I think it's $30,000 more than you quoted). Just the ordeal of confronting some of the ugliest naysayers in memory is reason enough for that.

I do agree with one argument, and that deals with the size of the Hall. Idealy, it should accommodate 2000 to 2500 people. However, with the 2000 seat Carpenter Center adjacent and the 3500 seat LANDMARK half a mile up-town, there is ample seating for the big events.

Another area of disagreement in my mind is the plan to reconfigure the National to a "theatre within a theatre", effectively reducing its seating from 1100 to 400. That's plain dumb!! It operated with its present lobby space and restrooms for years handling hundreds of patrons five times a day. There's plenty of space in the building to expand lobby and toilets areas along 7th street and in the retail areas east and west of the present boxoffice. Since a building has been constructed abutting the theatre's eastern wall, there may be some problems with the Fire Department, but the Carpenter Center has survived with a similar problem for years.

The National's stage house is only 25 feet deep but has nice wing space. A re-rigged fly gallery and new stage floor would make for an excellent facility.

OK Coup, now you've heard me out. Let's hear you.

An by the way, if you haven't visited the site, go to VAPAF.com, then go to "What we're building" (or similar - I've forgotten the exact wording) and you'll see all the floor plans and renderings.

:):)

You know everyone I think thats exactly why we all left RCW just to much negativity especially scottb he's the worst of it.I just don't get why people like to be negative so much. I mean yea I still check it.But RCW needs to get those people to stop being so negative. By the way has anyone heard anything or seen the construction of the new Federal Courthouse.

Coup.  Tell US about your fantastic idea for the arts in Richmond.  I'd love to hear.  Also, why do you always fail to mention the Empire Theatre complex among the existing facilities needing restoration?

And NO - the Landmark should not revert to a name that could offend a lot of people.  Muslims do not believe Mosques should be places of entertainment.

Brad Armstrong deserves every penny he's paid (and I think it's $30,000 more than you quoted).  Just the ordeal of confronting some of the ugliest naysayers in memory is reason enough for that.

I do agree with one argument, and that deals with the size of the Hall.  Idealy, it should accommodate 2000 to 2500 people.  However, with the 2000 seat Carpenter Center adjacent and the 3500 seat LANDMARK half a mile up-town, there is ample seating for the big events.

Another area of disagreement in my mind is the plan to reconfigure the National to a "theatre within a theatre", effectively reducing its seating from 1100 to 400.  That's plain dumb!!  It operated with its present lobby space and restrooms for years handling hundreds of patrons five times a day.  There's plenty of space in the building to expand lobby and toilets areas along 7th street and in the retail areas east and west of the present boxoffice.  Since a building has been constructed abutting the theatre's eastern wall, there may be some problems with the Fire Department, but the Carpenter Center has survived with a similar problem for years. 

The National's stage house is only 25 feet deep but has nice wing space. A re-rigged fly gallery and new stage floor would make for an excellent facility.

OK Coup, now you've heard me out.  Let's hear you.

An by the way, if you haven't visited the site, go to VAPAF.com, then go to "What we're building" (or similar - I've forgotten the exact wording) and you'll see all the floor plans and renderings.

:)  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forgive me for failing to mention the Empire. You've been around longer than I have and surely must know Richmond better than myself (which is why I am glad you are here). I have visited the VAPAF site many times and I wish it was updated every once in a while. Like I said, I love the thought of it and I'd love to see it happen. I just am on the fence though at the moment. With the Landmark, maybe my beef is with the name Landmark. IMO, it is not nearly as elegant to the ear as The Mosque which has become politically incorrect to keep as the name. It was designed to look like a mosque and is such a beautiful building inside and out. I think the name should reflect this beauty.

My idea for the arts? First off, I've never been very artisitic. As a kid I really wanted to be an architect. But that has become a pipedream. Other than that, art hasn't been one of my highest priorities. But this isnt about me. It's about bettering the lives of people that might be less fortunate, and showing kids that a passion for what they believe in can go a long way. It may not come out as great as it is in my head but bear with me. I've seen it done in a small town in Maine, which is one of the few, if not only place(s) in the world to have it occur. My idea is for their to be a fine arts gallery in the City of Richmond, under the wing of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, which is totally stocked and run by students attending Richmond public schools. The gallery would be supplied grants from local corporations, philanthropists or other places for its operating costs. The gallery would be full of pieces of art done by Richmond students. All pieces would/could also be for sale, with all proceeds going to the artist. The gallery would be totally run by selected students with a passion for the arts. They would have total control over exhibits, gallery design, etc. etc. with advisors from VMFA (or other places) offering help and advice on running the gallery. I think the total experience would give motivation, inspiration, and a feeling of accomplishment to kids in Richmond with a true passion for the fine arts. I think it would be wonderful for kids growing up in poverty, lacking role models and motivation, as it would show them light. A partnership could be struck between the Richmond public schools and the VMFA as well as any financial contributors to make this a reality. A property to house the gallery could be fixed up and donated (hopefully near the VMFA). Once students graduate, they would be no longer eligible to participate in the gallery. It's been done. It can happen in Richmond and be a huge success. Not only can it be an outlet for those with a passion for art, it can act as an alternative to gangs or other damaging activity. It can give kids real hands on experience in the world of art galleries and teach them how to budget and run a business. It's been done. It can happen in Richmond and be a huge success.

So there's my spiel. Any thoughts? Who wants to help me make this thing happen?

Coupe, your idea for the arts is splendid. Less privileged kids most certainly should have outlets to express positive vibes (the name of an interesting cafe just opened in Stratford Hills, by the way). Actually, I believe Va. Museum, in one of its Outreach programs, does just that, but in a far less comprehensive manner than your plan. Expanding on your idea, maybe now that certain school buildings are being closed, they could be converted for artistic uses, and that includes Performing Arts. Kids could produce in neighborhood venues, be judged by experts periodically, and maybe twice a year, bring the winning top 10 contenders from each location to the Convention Center for an Artistic Face Off Competition. All the young artists' painting/sculptures,mixed-media creations, etc. would be on sale, while the winning young performing artists and first and second runners-up would be awarded scholarships or sponsorships.

The Governor' School at Maggie Walkers gets state funding, why not the above plan?

Edited by burt

I think surplus city schools would be a great place to house such a venture. Many of the older ones are Rich in architectural details of the past. I wish there was a way I could see if this could happen....

In other news, Rockett's Landing is revving up:

"Rocketts Landing

Those interested in getting a sense of what is envisioned for the Village of Rocketts Landing project along the James River will soon get the chance.

The developers of the $250 million waterfront project have begun renovating a three-story building on the site to house a 3,000-square-foot preview center.

The center will give prospective buyers a vision of what the upscale waterfront condominiums, town homes and modern apartments will look like. The first floor will house the preview center, and the two upper floors will the developers' offices.

Work on the center should be completed in July. Construction on Rocketts Landing's town homes and condominiums should begin this year with initial occupancy in early 2007."

article

Great news. Sounds like Rocketts Landing is a definite GO.

Any news on the other development(s) east (or actually, south) of there on the river? One of them will have 3200 home sites and require a new interchange with Pocahontas Pkwy. :rolleyes:

Edited by burt

When I went to that CMSS Architects website I found something interesting It's called

One Shockoe Plaza. Has anyone heard of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No but i'll definately check it out. Did they have any renderings? Is it highrise, midrise, urban etc? I've never even heard it mentioned.

This is literally across the canal from the new vistas project:

"Concert venue coming?

Plans appear to be moving ahead to transform part of the Lady Bird Hat Co. building near the Canal Walk's Turning Basin into a concert venue.

No deals have been signed. But the concert hall developer believes one will be this month even as early as this week.

Even so, Fulton Hill Properties, the building's owner, is having roof, utility and foundation work done to prepare for the overhaul.

Plans call for putting Toad's Place there, which would be modeled after Toad's Place concert venue in New Haven, Conn.

It would take up about 20,000 square feet on three levels. There also might be a restaurant or music-related shop."

article

I drove by today and yes it does! Also, it seemed like some work was being done at the Miller & Rhoads building. Not quite sure what though. The Park Place Apartments overlooking Monroe Park are coming along and they look pretty awesome with all the bay windows. I didn't see a lot of activity at the edgeworth building, perhaps most of the work right now is being done on the Main St. side. There is also a big warehouse renovation in the bottom going on at about grace and 20th/21st st. Carytown looked beautiful today. I'm so glad that it wasn't that affected by the new upscale malls.

Grace St looks awesome where they have redone the streetscapes. Only problem is that there are so many empty storefronts there at the moment. There are a few blocks that are just begging for 1st floor retail with residential on the top floors.

okay, that's my spiel for today

To be honest, I've never been over by VUU, but this seems like a really nice development that has occurred over there:

"Gateway to VUU

The beautification project along Lombardy Street gives the area a fresh look

BY MICHAEL PAUL WILLIAMS

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Jun 10, 2005

If you hadn't noticed, Virginia Union University has a new front door.

In mid-April, the city completed a Lombardy Street beautification project, closing the door on a controversy over the street that began in 2001. Workers planted a new traffic circle at the south entrance of VUU's campus that's fit for a monument. But immediate plans call for the circle to be landscaped with a cherry tree surrounded by flowers.

Also as part of the $477,000 Department of Public Works project, a traffic-calming median was installed to trim the on-campus stretch of Lombardy from four to two lanes.

Bicycle lanes were painted along the side of the road. And two brick-paved crosswalks were installed to carry pedestrians across Lombardy to Hovey Field and an adjacent parking lot -- and someday, VUU officials hope, to a planned university wellness center............"

article

This is literally across the canal from the new vistas project:

"Concert venue coming?

Plans appear to be moving ahead to transform part of the Lady Bird Hat Co. building near the Canal Walk's Turning Basin into a concert venue.

No deals have been signed. But the concert hall developer believes one will be this month even as early as this week.

Even so, Fulton Hill Properties, the building's owner, is having roof, utility and foundation work done to prepare for the overhaul.

Plans call for putting Toad's Place there, which would be modeled after Toad's Place concert venue in New Haven, Conn.

It would take up about 20,000 square feet on three levels. There also might be a restaurant or music-related shop."

article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any news yet?