Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I disagree. If people are trending more towards an urban, walkable lifestyle, I think downtown stands to benefit.

Agreed. The suburbs are a symbol of the overspending that led us to this crisis to begin with. People were trying to buy more house than they could afford, bigger and more expensive cars, and luxury items from high-end retail chains, all on credit and loans... these will be the first things to go and that's what suburban development has been all about. City living is far more practical in that you don't have to drive far to get anywhere and in fact you can take the bus, bike, or walk to most anyplace you need to go. There's also far more free entertainment options in the City which will be valuable to folks living on a tight budget.

Greater Richmond's population is projected to be 1,617,700 by 2030 according to Demographia. Richmond will close the gap between itself and Hampton Roads which is anticipated to have 1,843,000 by 2030.

Warning: It's a pdf.

http://www.demographia.com/db-msaproj2030.pdf

Good find. Another city I have been interestd is Salt Lake City, UT. They right there with Richmond. (Mormons are the nicest and most sincere people I have ever met.)

Edited by Shakman

Funny, I happen to be an LDS member (Mormon). I hope I haven't tried to tell you how to live your life Burt.

No more than I have tried to influence your life, Eric. Aren't all Mormon young men required to devote a year or two to missionary work "spreading the word" to non-believers? I spent 10 weeks in Salt Lake City and found the people charming, friendly and hospitable. And yes, there was a lot of subtle proselytizing, but I'm still a non-believer. It simply is not my cup of tea. Each to his own freedom of belief, and I hope the new Shockoe Slip Museum will acknowledge all those freedoms.

I enjoyed my time in SLC; I have loved my years in NYC, and I hope soon to finish up my earthly time in good old RIC.

Greater Richmond's population is projected to be 1,617,700 by 2030 according to Demographia. Richmond will close the gap between itself and Hampton Roads which is anticipated to have 1,843,000 by 2030.

Warning: It's a pdf.

http://www.demographia.com/db-msaproj2030.pdf

I have moved this down here so that it is not lost. I found the anticipated population figures for almost 200 Metropolitan areas quite interesting.

In 2030, Richmond would rank 41st while Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Newport News would be 38th.

Find your city in the list.

Edited by burt

No more than I have tried to influence your life, Eric. Aren't all Mormon young men required to devote a year or two to missionary work "spreading the word" to non-believers? I spent 10 weeks in Salt Lake City and found the people charming, friendly and hospitable. And yes, there was a lot of subtle proselytizing, but I'm still a non-believer. It simply is not my cup of tea. Each to his own freedom of belief, and I hope the new Shockoe Slip Museum will acknowledge all those freedoms.

I enjoyed my time in SLC; I have loved my years in NYC, and I hope soon to finish up my earthly time in good old RIC.

Hew! I'm glad that I haven't come off as someone who tries to tell you how to live your life, however, I hope I have influenced your life in some way on this message board as you have influenced mine (for the good, of course - you've been an awesome asset to this forum!).

All LDS young men are not required to serve a mission, but rather are encouraged to serve a two-year mission to help those who are willing and ready to listen (not to force anything on non-believers - we don't do that, nor do we tell people how to live their lives). There are many young LDS men who do not go on missions as well. I did, however, go on a two-year Spanish-speaking mission to Southern California ('95-'97). Also, believe it or not, I've never lived in Salt Lake City, UT. I'm a true Virginian and love my home state! The First Freedom Center is actually heavily supported by the LDS community in Richmond and have actually been instrumental in leading the charge to get it built. If it weren't for religious freedom in America, no LDS would be in America and that's very important to me (just a personal side note), but I also believe it is the right of each individual, no matter what your religion or none at all, to practice what you believe. This power to be able to choose how we want is an important part of what has made America what it is today! I relish the words of Patrick Henry when he said "Give me liberty or give me death!" - a perfect supporter of freedom to include the freedom to believe how one wants without persecution! That's why this First Freedom Center is so important - to commemorate religious freedom!

Eric, the proposed Religious Freedom Museum is possibly a wonderful opportunity for you. Your church affiliations, love of Richmond and knowledge of the region would be extremely useful in promotion and/or management divisions of the facility. I know you have to choose whether to remain in military service long enough to receive retirement benefits or to launch a civilian career. Wherever your future lies, I wish only the best for you.

I think this growth projection of 400,000 in 21 yrs is very significant. Alot of that growth is going to need to be in the city or the suburbs will sprawl significantly further than they do now. Midlo and the west end will be total grid lock. Hopfully downtown will get a large share of this growth.

It's pretty remarkable that estimated figures show a population growth within the city of 3,000 people since the 2000 census. Even more amazing is that estimated figures in 2005 had dropped from 197,000 to about 193,000. It now tops 200,000 according to the most recent census estimates.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow 6 pages of reaction... still a hot topic. Well I'm for it. I'm still wondering how they'd prevent balls from hitting people on Broad. And the article must have been using an ADC map. Ambler and Crane are two separate streets. I would think that Crane would be closed but then again...

I cannot open the article. Can someone post the entire article?

Well, shak, it's very frustrating. I am positive I read the story. It said, and I'm paraphrasing, that the few remaining pulic housing units at 1st Avenue and Dove Street would be demolished (I think, beginning tomorrow) and will be replaced by about 64 new mixed-income homes in the initial phase. Eventually, a community of about 2,000 housing units interspersed with commercial and retail is planned.

This is an area of Highland Park overlooking Shockoe Valley at the northern end of 1st Street viaduct. It is near a cemetary.

I'm sure the story was in either the Friday 10/24/08 or Saturday 10/25 edition of inRich. But I've gone back to check every article from last Wednesday to current, and it has disappeared. Grrrrr.

Edited by burt