Piedmont Town Center

DigitalSky

Here are some pictures of the mixed-use Piedmont Town Center coming up near SouthPark Mall, off of Barclay Downs and Assembly Rd. Pics taken 3/25/05

piedmont10pz.jpg

piedmont20nx.jpg

piedmont32le.jpg

p10103212dg.jpg

piedmont51nn.jpg

pied677mu.jpg

That last one is taken from Sharon Road, looking across the SouthPark parking lot to Piedmont Town Center in the distance.

http://www.piedmonttowncenter.com/

Their website.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like it's coming along nicely. They said something about it on the Mecheck of WBTV news at 11. The apartments are said to start off in the lower 200's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It blows my mind the prices of those places. It is one thing to pay that kind of money to live Uptown, where there are no single-family residences as an alternative, but $500K would buy you a lot more than 1500 square feet in that area.

I'm always underestimating the importance of shopping and amenities, I suppose. I guess it bodes well if we get the Epicentre going Uptown and some other retail.

E7

it is a debatable point, though. South Park growth is, technically, infill, especially with this kind of density. Being within city limits, not on a freeway, and within 5 miles of downtown seems to make this a positive for the city. True, south park retail significantly hurts chances for downtown retail, but southpark residents and employees are much more connected to downtown than distant 485 suburbs.

this project is going to be nice. i love the view of this thing as your coming down fairview from providence - heading towards park rd. it looks as if your going to drive straight into the place....great photos, cantnot!

this project is going to be nice.  i love the view of this thing as your coming down fairview from providence - heading towards park rd.  it looks as if your going to drive straight into the place....great photos, cantnot!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SP is kind of getting there on "little" skyline. Now if we could just get a couple of towers up aound the perimeter of the mall. (I know MC, SP will never allow it, but heck here's for dreaming. :P )

i am amazed @ the concern of many forumers about the lack of DT retail. i couldn't believe the poll about "wish lists" had retail so high on the list - above things like waterways or full college campus (which i believe are fantasies). i'm not dissing anyones opinion, just trying to understand. doesn't it seem that major retail DT is inevitable? if it isn't, then just give DT rail transit to southpark. i don't live in southpark, hardly go there, but i appreciate whats going on...seems positive.

i am amazed @ the concern of many forumers about the lack of DT retail.  i couldn't believe the poll about "wish lists" had retail so high on the list - above things like waterways or full college campus (which i believe are fantasies).  i'm not dissing anyones opinion, just trying to understand.  doesn't it seem that major retail DT is inevitable?  if it isn't, then just give DT rail transit to southpark.  i don't live in southpark,  hardly go there,  but i appreciate whats going on...seems positive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once the inner-loop pop hits "12,500" exect BIG things. That is the magic number. We should be there very soon with the new project coming on board. (ie residential towers, schools etc etc) I am would assume announcements within 18 months. Out center city pop is right around 10K last I checked.

out of curosity, why is it that the area inside in the loop's population is important, rather than, say, a 2 or 3 mile radius? for example, south park isn't retail demographic heaven because of a single square mile... so i wonder why the magic number for downtown is just for its square mile...

Also, things are already ramping up in anticipating a population of 12k+ in 2007. Eliz Ave, Epicenter, Midtown Square all seem to be converging on the 2007/8 timeframe.

out of curosity, why is it that the area inside in the loop's population is important, rather than, say, a 2 or 3 mile radius?  for example, south park isn't retail demographic heaven because of a single square mile... so i wonder why the magic number for downtown is just for its square mile... 

Also, things are already ramping up in anticipating a population of 12k+ in 2007.  Eliz Ave, Epicenter, Midtown Square all seem to be converging on the 2007/8 timeframe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's a great point dubone. I do not really know. I just remember hearing it on the news and from an article I read printed by the Chamber. I think the reason is the placement of retail and rent rates. Any retail outfit would need to justify the center city location based on this. I know that the Home depot deign will be somewhat of a "major project", but it is right outside the loop. In the grand scheme of things I think that the loop thing should really have no bearing, but I am just posting the figure of 12,500 w/in the loop as I heard it from other sources.

B)

out of curosity, why is it that the area inside in the loop's population is important, rather than, say, a 2 or 3 mile radius?  for example, south park isn't retail demographic heaven because of a single square mile... so i wonder why the magic number for downtown is just for its square mile...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's all about density and the type of retail. Retail uptown can't depend on large parking lots, so walkability is very important.

Now what kind of retail we get is the question. We have two grocery stores and a new full-service CVS will open next month. I think maybe a Barnes and Noble might be our next major retailer. Where they might find a large enough space to lease is beyond me.

They'd need at least 15,000 square feet, and there are no buildings with ground level space that large available.

This is all subject to what Mr Ghazi actually gets done. He can pull it all in on one site if we ever see the old Convention Center actually demolished in our lifetimes.

• 2 months later...

Archived