What would you destroy?

btoy

All the this talk about destruction in a few of the threads gave me an idea for a topic.

In Greenville, what would you like to see torn down and what would you like to see it it's place?

I have two.

County Square I would like to see the county move in to like a new tower somewhere and have this complex totally leveled. In it's place I would Like a mixed used development, Mostly midrise condos and apartments with some office and retail, with townhouses filling it out. I would like parking decks with very little lot parking. Another Idea would be a regional shopping center with lots of housing and office above it. No parking lot, but a large deack instead, fill out the rest of the space with townhomes and houses.

I think this would be a great area for this becuase It is a high point for Greenville and the view would be great. Also it would be right up agianst the Park. I think that it should be developed in a way to pay homage to the old Furman campus that was on the site.

The McBee Aprtments

Just another Great peice of land downtown. My ideas for it would be similar to my last idea. High density midrise mixed use. Mostly housing.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the this talk about destruction in a few of the threads gave me an idea for a topic. 

In Greenville, what would you like to see torn down and what would you like to see it it's place?

I have two. 

County Square  I would like to see the county move in to like a new tower somewhere and have this complex totally leveled.  In it's place I would Like a mixed used development, Mostly midrise condos and apartments with some office and retail, with townhouses filling it out.  I would like parking decks with very little lot parking.  Another Idea would be a regional shopping center with lots of housing and office above it.  No parking lot, but a large deack instead, fill out the rest of the space with townhomes and houses.

I think this would be a great area for this becuase It is a high point for Greenville and the view would be great.  Also it would be right up agianst the Park.  I think that it should be developed in a way to pay homage to the old Furman campus that was on the site.

The McBee Aprtments

Just another Great peice of land downtown.  My ideas for it would be similar to my last idea.  High density midrise mixed use.  Mostly housing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree on County Square. This is a prime location, and your idea would dovetail nicely with the city's plans for Church Street and the Haynie/Sirrine neighborhood. The problem will be in getting County Council to go along. They aren't exactly the most urban-friendly folks.

The County should do a public/private joint venture with a developer to build on the Memorial Auditorium site. That would give the developer the needed pre-leasing to build the full project. As a jesture of goodwill, the city could cut the county a nice discount on parking in the Bi-LO garage. According to the Journal, that garage only has a 5% utilization currently. It also might be beneficial to the county to have the County Square offices within spitting distance of the Courthouse.

Where is the McBee Apartments?

Greenville Transit Authority Parking Deck

It is on Washington Next to Barley's and Wild WIngs, and alot should happen in the near future accross the street with the renovations at Bank of America. I think that is a hot site for another tower in the future.

I partially disagree on the transit center. When I've been in there, its about the only thing in Greenville that reminds me of the northeast. If you go in the back, its just like a subway station from in Boston or Philly. I'd say scrap the parking deck on top, and build up from that. Something 8-15 stories would level out great.

I concur on the Bank of America building, can't wait to see the renovations, it's really an eyesore. It's just the blah factor to it. You know I dont think it should be destroyed but the Ogletree building is a total waste of space, in the shadows of giants. Its all out of place. Also that little Two story building across Elford from the Landmark building. Just a bad location for small buildings. I guess I wont think so bad of the Ogletree building once the Pinnacle on main is built, itll take my mind off how out of place it is. Hey! lightbulb, why not demolish that and use that whole area for the Pinnacle, ya know fill in that gap real nice. JMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I concur on the Bank of America building, can't wait to see the renovations, it's really an eyesore. It's just the blah factor to it. You know I dont think it should be destroyed but the Ogletree building is a total waste of space, in the shadows of giants. Its all out of place. Also that little Two story building across Elford from the Landmark building. Just a bad location for small buildings. I guess I wont think so bad of the Ogletree building once the Pinnacle on main is built, itll take my mind off how out of place it is. Hey! lightbulb, why not demolish that and use that whole area for the Pinnacle, ya know fill in that gap real nice. JMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Pinnacle Two. Actually I really like the Ogletree building, although it could be twice as tall. :)

Another building that should go down by means of dynamite or a wrecking ball is THE GREENVILLE NEWS building! That thing is so ugly and I think that they should replace it with a building that will fit in with the new city hall and the peace center. Also, it should host retail shops on the first floor to lure shopper farther down Main Street and prevent them from stopping at Broad St.

Another building that should go down by means of dynamite or a wrecking ball is THE GREENVILLE NEWS building! That thing is so ugly and I think that they should replace it with a building that will fit in with the new city hall and the peace center. Also, it should host retail shops on the first floor to lure shopper farther down Main Street and prevent them from stopping at Broad St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this. It is certainly not an attractive building.

Also, it should host retail shops on the first floor to lure shopper farther down Main Street and prevent them from stopping at Broad St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm....perhaps a nice "Out of Town News" shop which sells magazines and Newspapers from around the country/globe would be a good retail shop for a new Greenville News mixed-use building. It wouldn't be Harvard Square in Cambridge, but it'd be close enough for me B)

Even though this one has been in front of my face every day for the past few years, I only just now realized that it would be PERFECT for this topic.

I'd level just about EVERYTHING along Rutherford Road (with a few exceptions, of course - such as WYFF's office and a few of the older homes) between Stone Avenue and Cherrydale Point. Of course, sadly, some things have already been leveled and haven't been replaced. :cry:

I'd replace it all with mixed-use (some retail with a LOT of residential) properties all along Rutherford. I'd continue the nice street signage, lighting and landscaping, and put in wide sidewalks all along the way (that area has it's fair share of pedestrian traffic and indicents).

To me, Cherrydale Point (especially the "Welcome to Greenville" sign) and the new streetscape improvements South of Stone Avenue into the Heritage Green area are very nice. It's the stuff in between that needs some work. It rather reminds me of what South Orange Blossom Trail (AKA "OBT" or US 441) used to be like in Orlando before the streetscape beautification took place there. I'd love to see the same here.

I agree with this. It is certainly not an attractive building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to see the Greenville News torn down, but I don't see it happening. THey just did an expansion a few years ago. Remember they torn down the old jail. A building that should NEVER have been torn down. Another great loss, in my opinion up there with the loss of the Town Hall, the old Furman University, and Victor Mill in Greer.

• 4 weeks later...

I have another idea for a place to tear down to build new. The Palmetto Bank building at Church St & E. North St. , it is small and 70'sish ugly. But better is that it has a huge parking lot and is on a high point.

If something huge were buildt there it could have as much impact on the entrance to the city as could the Gateway Site.

What do yall think?

Believe me, I've thought about that many times myself. As a persone who banks there (among other places), I can say from experience that it isn't the easiest place to get into and out of. A tower with a large parking garage would suit the site well IMO.

I would also like to see more pedestrian bridges to cross over the busiest roads such as:

Church Street

North Street

Washington Street

etc.

Also a beautifully designed enclosed pedestrian bridge over "I-385" as it passes the Gateway site. :)

Archived