What would you destroy?

btoy

Tearing down the old Ingle's and Eckerd on Poinsett Highway would be very nice. They were built nearly 30 years ago, and both stores have moved into bigger and better locations down at Cherrydale. If they could level out the site somewhat, I could see a new retail center going up such as a Bi-Lo.

Another idea is the K-Mart and former Winn-Dixie on Wade Hampton. This shopping center is mostly dead thanks to Publix, Wal-Mart, and Bi-Lo up the road. It is very funny that K-Mart still has its monthly going out of business sale.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen, brother!

Edit:  I'm sure that Palmetto Bank could negotiate some space (and a few drive through lanes) in whatever would go up on that site... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to see the Palmetto Bank building be demolished as well. Maybe if the Federal courthouse goes on the gateway site, a major office building catering to the two courthouses (Fed and County) would rise up on the site. That would also help link Main St to the BiLo Center area.

This may be a new topic since the building is in Spartanburg, but I would love to see the old Sky City building off of Reidville Road and I-26 demolished. It is an eye sore that I consider "part of the problem" and needs to go. As for what to replace it with, it is hard to say, because of the pricing, lack of visibility from Reidville Road, and the single point access. The building is probably laden with lead paint and asbestos as well, so clean up would be intensive. Any ideas?

Among others, tear down the old City Hall which I think could be moved into the newly renovated Beaumont Mills.

I would say the Old Kmart on Pine Street, but the wrecking ball is already tearing it down.

I forgot to add the Village Inn at Main and Pine.

I think I know where you are talking about, but I'm not sure. It seems like an apartment complex of some sort would be best suited there.

I would like to see the other old Sky City on N Church St next to Crenshaw be torn down. Actually, that whole shopping complex needs to be torn down. I wouldn't mind if a generic strip mall was put back. Anything is better than what is there now. However, I think that it is occupied, but by what I can't recall.

That would also fit into any plan to revitialize that N Pine shpoping area, which I hope is in existance.

I can't recall exactly where the old Sky City is located, but I would suggest either a suburban office building or maybe apartments, since you said it is somewhere near both Reidville Road and I-26. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is located directly on the interstate, behind the BiLo, Grease Monkey, some storage units, exteneded stay hotel, Dominoes Pizza. You can barely see it from Reidville Road, but it is an eyesore from the interstate. It is located right in the middle of the bridge construction project.

JDA has built about 36 acres of apartments around it. The problem with apartments is that the current owner has about 2 million in it. The land cost would be too high for multi family housing. A mixed development containing offices, a destination hotel, and some apartments might be feasible.

I think I know where you are talking about, but I'm not sure. It seems like an apartment complex of some sort would be best suited there.

I would like to see the other old Sky City on N Church St next to Crenshaw be torn down. Actually, that whole shopping complex needs to be torn down. I wouldn't mind if a generic strip mall was put back. Anything is better than what is there now. However, I think that it is occupied, but by what I can't recall.

That would also fit into any plan to revitialize that N Pine shpoping area, which I hope is in existance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this located in Whitney? I can't place where this is.

Is this located in Whitney? I can't place where this is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you go out John White Blvd and cross I-26, you would take a left on the frontage road.  it is all run down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one I am talking about located in the nothern part of town. You go up Church St/221 past the hospital, and past the Nissan dealer and it is on the right. There is something located there now, but I cant recall what it is, but the top of it is painted blue. It is not quite in Whitney, but in that direction.

The one I am talking about located in the nothern part of town. You go up Church St/221 past the hospital, and past the Nissan dealer and it is on the right. There is something located there now, but I cant recall what it is, but the top of it is painted blue. It is not quite in Whitney, but in that direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know where you are talking about. It definitely needs to go.

I have one that has been at the top of my demolition list for years now. When they tore down Memorial Auditorium, they left a few small buildings along the street. They are mostly greenish tile, with a few multi-colored tiles thrown in. Looks very dated. It is a horrible introduction to Greenville for people arriving on I-385. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I have one that has been at the top of my demolition list for years now.  When they tore down Memorial Auditorium, they left a few small buildings along the street.  They are mostly greenish tile, with a few multi-colored tiles thrown in.  Looks very dated.  It is a horrible introduction to Greenville for people arriving on I-385.  Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100%. Those buildings should be the first thing on evryones list to be destroyed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They will as soon as something is chosen for the Gateway Site.

I have one that has been at the top of my demolition list for years now.  When they tore down Memorial Auditorium, they left a few small buildings along the street.  They are mostly greenish tile, with a few multi-colored tiles thrown in.  Looks very dated.  It is a horrible introduction to Greenville for people arriving on I-385.  Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know exactly what you're talking about and I couldn't agree more! Fortunately, from the sounds of it, those are part of the overall Gateway site and will come down as soon as someone starts to put something up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, near the "Love Temple," formerly a gas station and now a point of humor for myself and my friends. The entire Whitney area is spooky-sad to me. Sometimes I'm scared to stop at that Lil' Cricket on 221.

By the way, the Crenshaw theater itself could use some work, but I think the owner's money is all tied up in advertising. How many times has he rented the giant elephant?

:rofl:

I'm just being silly.

• 2 months later...

I apologize if this site has been mentioned. But, with the Tower at Falls & Braod planned, I think the Post Office site at Camperdown and Falls across from the Bowater Parking Garage should be torn down for a Mid Rise Residential Tower. It's location to Falls Park, Cleveland Park and the new tower planned next to it just makes a post office a poor use of the property.

One Idea could be to still use the ground floor for the post office once a new structure was built.

I apologize if this site has been mentioned.  But, with the Tower at Falls & Braod planned, I think the Post Office site at Camperdown and Falls across from the Bowater Parking Garage should be torn down for a Mid Rise Residential Tower.  It's location to Falls Park, Cleveland Park and the new tower planned next to it just makes a post office a poor use of the property.

One Idea could be to still use the ground floor for the post office once a new structure was built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why don't we combine both postal locations? I do think that it's a waste of land, too. That would be a great location for housing... It's sort of off the beaten path. Very few people travel down Falls St that far, and camperdown is sort of cut off now. It would be more quiet than some other parts but still as convienient to anywere you may want to go...

As another forumer said just about everything South of Cherrydale Point on Poinsett Highway to about the Northern edge of Greenville's North Main neighborhood (aside from a couple of exception along the corridor). To be such an important entrance downtown it really is quite depressing, especially the abandoned gas station over at the corner of Poinsett and Hampton-Pickney? the place lloks like its been abandoned for at least five years if not longer.

I apologize if this site has been mentioned.  But, with the Tower at Falls & Braod planned, I think the Post Office site at Camperdown and Falls across from the Bowater Parking Garage should be torn down for a Mid Rise Residential Tower.  It's location to Falls Park, Cleveland Park and the new tower planned next to it just makes a post office a poor use of the property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That Calvin Street location is actually a very important one, but I agree that relocating to another building would be a better way to maximize the utilization of that particular piece of downtown real estate. I think in the end we'll see this happen, but how far down the road will most likely be determined by the progress of The Tower at Falls and Broad and other develpments along Broad. :)

Archived