What would you destroy?

btoy

And don't even get me started on Boston.  People think nothing of cutting in to change lanes, even if there are mere inches between their car and yours!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that! And they care nothing of pedestrians in Boston, either. I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've nearly been hit by a car whilst crossing over to the T Station at Porter Square in Cambridge. :wacko:

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But at least I don't see the one pet peeve of mine. And I see this alot when in Atlanta. Stopping in the middle of an intersection. I know I it took me maybe 15

to 20 to get through one. Noticed I said one intersection. I see it like this. If most of the people would have just waited, like civilized folks, then most of us would not

have had to wait so long. And to think of it in some, if not in most medium to large sized cities, they post not to do this. But as I saw in Atlanta, it happened anyway.

Sorry for the rant. Now don't think that I am one of these impatient jerks that you

know are out there. 'Cause I am not. But it just crawls all over me when I see it.

Once again. SORRY. :)

I figure that there should be a separate forum for the drivers gripes, but the one thing that I learned about driving is that we all drive the way we were taught. Those of us who came from major metro areas (not Greenville) tend to drive much more agressive than those of us who learned in Greenville, or the rest of the upstate. I learned to drive in Greenville, and I cut my teeth in the metro Boston area. So it all boils down to what and how you were taught in the teenage years. To me, its pretty cut and dry.

I figure that there should be a separate forum for the drivers gripes, but the one thing that I learned about driving is that we all drive the way we were taught. Those of us who came from major metro areas (not Greenville) tend to drive much more agressive than those of us who learned in Greenville, or the rest of the upstate. I learned to drive in Greenville, and I cut my teeth in the metro Boston area. So it all boils down to what and how you were taught in the teenage years. To me, its pretty cut and dry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same goes here. I started to drive here, but learned to drive on the Beltway in Washington. :o My brother, THE beotch, pulled over on the interstate and told me to take over. :angry: Now everyone who has driven that highway knows what I am talkin' about. It was one of the most frightening experiences of my life. So when I came back down to Greenville and took a subsesquint (don't know about spelling) trip to ATL, I was cool with it. Even though I was 16 or 17. I handled it like a champ. And BTW for all who want to know,I was 14 in Washington.

Learning to drive on the Beltway sounds rough! I know a lot of seasoned drivers who wouldn't be able to hang on that road, MAJIKMAN!

And Boston, please don't get me started again on the horrible drivers there. The roads are often in poor condition, plus many are too small for the volume of people on the road. Perhaps that is why many people there cut in and out unnecessarily (plus the fact that they are frustrated due to the confusing signs and one-way streets). They go beyond aggressive there...many are dangerous. That has to be one of the worst cities to drive in, even after the Big Dig.

I learned to drive in Greenville, but absolutely love places like Atlanta and DC where my heavy foot is always going to be outweighed by at least a few other people's. ;)

Learning to drive on the Beltway sounds rough!  I know a lot of seasoned drivers who wouldn't be able to hang on that road, MAJIKMAN!

And Boston, please don't get me started again on the horrible drivers there. The roads are often in poor condition, plus many are too small for the volume of people on the road.  Perhaps that is why many people there cut in and out unnecessarily (plus the fact that they are frustrated due to the confusing signs and one-way streets).  They go beyond aggressive there...many are dangerous.  That has to be one of the worst cities to drive in, even after the Big Dig.

I learned to drive in Greenville, but absolutely love places like Atlanta and DC where my heavy foot is always going to be outweighed by at least a few other people's. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We hear ya! :D

• 6 months later...

I have been wanting to add this to this thread for months. I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned these buildings here before, but (as I grew up in Pickens cty and drove into town via 183) I would like to see a developer buy all the parcels the cline company occupies (those buildings across from the empty history museum) except one. I think those buildings are looking pretty rough, actually, very rough (along with a few other structures there) With the money cline gets from the develper, the could build a new and much larger building that would cover their needs on their remaining site. On the other sites, I could see a couple six to ten story apartment/condo bildings that offer AFFORDABLE housing; 80 to 110k. This would really help to stretch DT to the west, and be agood start on that Pete Hollis project.

I have been wanting to add this to this thread for months. I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned these buildings here before, but (as I grew up in Pickens cty and drove into town via 183) I would like to see a developer buy all the parcels the cline company occupies (those buildings across from the empty history museum) except one. I think those buildings are looking pretty rough, actually, very rough (along with a few other structures there) With the money cline gets from the develper, the could build a new and much larger building that would cover their needs on their remaining site. On the other sites, I could see a couple six to ten story apartment/condo bildings that offer AFFORDABLE housing; 80 to 110k. This would really help to stretch DT to the west, and be agood start on that Pete Hollis project.

I'm enjoying seeing all these old topics being brought back!

I agree! I had forgotten how much I hated the Kline buildings. That's such a great idea! It really would expand downtown to the west and that would actually be a great location! Heritage Green is right there. Could there be a prettier plot of land to pass by on your walk to Main St?

Excellent idea! The metal sided Cline building has always been an eyesore, and now, with the new Library and History Museum next door, it looks even worse. This little stretch, if redone, would certainly blend downtown and the Pete Hollis area well. Just down the side streets are the new condos (row houses) in Hampton Pinckney......there is the beautiful little church (with the red doors) across from the Pete Hollis gardens....and several great little buildings crying out to be redone for retail. I've got to believe, that following on the heels of West End, the entire area from the Library to Cherrydale is next in line for a major rebirth.

One thing is for sure. Downtown is about to not be "just Main Street" anymore. I don't think it is anymore, but there are skeptics out there that this should soon be evident to.

Right you are GvilleSC! McBee Station, West End, North Main.....downtown Greenville is reaching in all directions. Main Street is still the core, but downtown has definitely "spread its wings"! :D

The Cline buildings have gotten a bit of a face lift over the past few months, but they're still an eyesore driving through there. I agree that some redevelopment of this are would be a great start towards kicking off the Pete Hollis Gateway redevelopment. I'd love to see everything between these buildings and Cherrydale (with a few exceptions) redeveloped or renovated rather than turned into yet another used car lot. :whistling:

I would destroy Laurens Road and Pleasantburg Drive and would just start over; those areas are plagued with blight. Dead enclosed malls are one thing (bad enough), but dead strip malls are just ugly. Too bad as Laurens Road between Haywood and Verdae was built somewhat recently- in the '80s. Hopefully the Verdae development will help, but who knows?

My my my! What destructive little minds we have! I think this thread is kind of like grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Before you start making intelligent choices about what to destroy, it helps to do a little bit of venting of destructive energy.

So, here's a suggestion for the next UP-Greenville meet-up:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5854686068870249151

After we do this, THEN we can be rational about our answers in this thread. Anyone ELSE up for this family-friendly fun for a future meet-up?

My my my! What destructive little minds we have! I think this thread is kind of like grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Before you start making intelligent choices about what to destroy, it helps to do a little bit of venting of destructive energy.

So, here's a suggestion for the next UP-Greenville meet-up:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5854686068870249151

After we do this, THEN we can be rational about our answers in this thread. Anyone ELSE up for this family-friendly fun for a future meet-up?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Archived