What would you destroy?

btoy

Don't cars have to stop for pedestrians anyway? I know this isn't a state by state or city by city thing. Hum...I may have to look into this. I know you have to in a lot of Northern and Mid-Western states and city. Can I get some feed back from some of those folks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SC Driver Manual, Page 65.

"Yielding The Right Of Way

Always yield the right of way to pedestrians, motor vehicles,

bicyclists, or anyone else who has moved into an intersection before

you."

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one that has been at the top of my demolition list for years now.  When they tore down Memorial Auditorium, they left a few small buildings along the street.  They are mostly greenish tile, with a few multi-colored tiles thrown in.  Looks very dated.  It is a horrible introduction to Greenville for people arriving on I-385.  Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that is where Canal Insurance used to be (and maybe some other businesses, but Canal is the only one I remember being there). Canal relocated to the old Sears building on Stone Ave., next to The Handlebar.

All the this talk about destruction in a few of the threads gave me an idea for a topic. 

... In Greenville, what would you like to see torn down and what would you like to see it it's place?...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would move the Greenville Transit Authority down to the current Amtrak site on

West Washington St.; then, tear down the old GTA building and construct a beautiful new Amtrak station on Augusta St... Amtrak would be a great addition to the West End.

I would move the Greenville Transit Authority down to the current Amtrak site on

West Washington St.; then, tear down the old GTA building and construct a beautiful new Amtrak station on Augusta St... Amtrak would be a great addition to the West End.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also like to see the old K-Mart/Winn-Dixie on Wade Hampton Blvd. demolished and replaced with a Super Target. I believe the smaller piece of property next to it is currently for sale.

Is that the shopping center with a Corona Mexican Restaurant?  I think there is an old Ingle's across the street as well (with the ugly red, orange, and yellow signage).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the one. :-) There's a Sav-Mor (owned by Ingles) currently open in the old Ingles site. LOL, my mom used to shop at that Ingles when I was in high school.

LOL, meaning "weird/good to see everything changing as it is." (Our family moved here from the SF Bay area in the mid-70's, and it was total culture shock!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of scaring people away from the bus system and public transportation.... I can tell you for a fact that NO ONE would ride a bus that went to the W Washington St area... People would definitely not ride other than the people who ride today-- therefore you would have no means to justify a light rail system and public transportation would continue to fail... :(

I bet that was a culture shock, especially with the way Greenville was in the 1970's.  It probably would be somewhat of a culture shock today, but not nearly like it would've been in the '70's!

Have you guys grown to like it in Greenville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, it was like being swept in a time warp back to the 1950's. One vivid memory I have is being aghast that the girls here still wore *saddle shoes*. :-}

Well, Dad has passed away... Mom and one sibling are quite content here... one sibling would move back to CA in a heartbeat; I guess I've developed a love/hate relationship with it. Actually, I moved away for a while (lived in the Triangle for 5 years); when I first returned here in the mid-90's, it was very noticeable how many cars had license plates from other states. One of the best things to come of Greenville's development is that it has brought in a more diverse population.

Speaking of scaring people away from the bus system and public transportation.... I can tell you for a fact that NO ONE would ride a bus that went to the W Washington St area... People would definitely not ride other than the people who ride today-- therefore you would have no means to justify a light rail system and public transportation would continue to fail... :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was referring to the GTA barn/garage/yard that's next to Greenville High, not the current multi-modal center by Wild Wing Cafe. I apologize for any confusion.

I just checked GTA's website... looks like they have some additional routes now, interesting.

I would also like to see the old K-Mart/Winn-Dixie on Wade Hampton Blvd. demolished and replaced with a Super Target. I believe the smaller piece of property next to it is currently for sale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to see a SuperTarget somewhere in Greenville, too. However, 1) Target is not planning on opening any SuperTarget (Target + Archer Farms Market) stores in the area and 2) the site on Wade Hampton is too close to the Target that recently opened in Greer/Taylors.

Maybe a nice Target store would fit in Travelers Rest once Winn Dixie closes its doors?

There is a traffic signal @ that location. It is connected into the flashing walk don't walk crossing signals. And it is very visible that it is a crosswalk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely right. For some reason, I had thought they removed that traffic signal. Maybe I was thinking that because the turn lane and turn signal are gone? I dunno.

The thing that I still don't understand is that the pedestrians along this stretch of road don't cross at that crossing signal. They cross wherever/whenever, and often walk right out in front of cars.

On another note, I noticed this evening that O'Reilly Auto Parts is being constructed between Rutherford and Cherrydale. This is the second new business that has recently made its presence known along this stretch, following a new Dollar General which is filling an old vacant store front.

Traveler's Rest would be to Close to the Store at Cherrydale they are about to start.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could find some evidence that shows that this rumor is true, but for now, it's just a rumor as far as I can discern.

I've seen nothing concrete that indicates that Target is going to be building there. A lot of the homes on Edgewater, Orlando, and Apopka in the neighborhood across Pleasantburg from Cherrydale are abandoned and are owned by Timm Creek, LLC. I've not been able to find anything thus far that ties Timm Creek, LLC to Target.

Additionally, unless other homes around that neighborhood are abandoned, the area area in question isn't large enough for a store and parking. Maybe there is something bigger here that I'm not seeing, but I can't quite fathom Target putting a store across from Cherrydale just yet.

Does anybody know anything else about this rumored project that may prove otherwise?

Target wouldn't likely have any ownership in it till after it was built. Timm Creek, is probubly asscociated with a developer or investor.

One of the members of this boord works for RealtyLink made he can shed some light. Their signs were on the site until recently when a different set of signs appeared.

SC Driver Manual, Page 65.

"Yielding The Right Of Way

Always yield the right of way to pedestrians, motor vehicles,

bicyclists, or anyone else who has moved into an intersection before

you."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I thought. So is it that we have people around here that are that bad at driving. Or is like some people say, They must go their licenses at K-mart or something. But I can also say this to. Some don't have liceneses to begin with. Which baffles me the worst, because you would figure they would be the safest driver out there. But what do I know.

I'm half under the impression that many people around town learned to drive from the same bad instructor.

It baffles me how many people park back at least a car length from the trip wire and fail to trip the lights around here :ph34r: Did I really just say that? Oh well, sobeit. It's true. People just don't know how to trip lights. They sit back from the trip wire/stop bar. I actually saw a guy get out of his car the other day and walk up to the two people at the front of the line and ask them to pull up to the stop bar to trip the light. It was hilarious, but I give him props for it! :thumbsup:

I'm half under the impression that many people around town learned to drive from the same bad instructor.

It baffles me how many people park back at least a car length from the trip wire and fail to trip the lights around here  :ph34r:  Did I really just say that?  Oh well, sobeit.  It's true.  People just don't know how to trip lights.  They sit back from the trip wire/stop bar.  I actually saw a guy get out of his car the other day and walk up to the two people at the front of the line and ask them to pull up to the stop bar to trip the light.  It was hilarious, but I give him props for it!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The worst drivers I've ever seen are here in SC.

The auto manufaturers could save a ton of money if they left turn signals off cars sold in SC... Not used. :angry:

SCDOT could save a ton of money by leaving lane markers off the roads... Not used. :angry:

Its obvious that they teach you to swing across as many lanes as possible when you turn onto a multi lane road. I guess you get a bonus point for each lane.

The biggest problem is that the southerners are teaching the southerners to drive.

Oh did I say that out loud? Oops, RT, you and I seem to have the same problem. :whistling:

I haven't noticed those things so much here...believe me, drivers are better at giving turn signals and changing lanes here than they are in Florida :thumbsup: I do see some people swing wide when turning into lanes, but I think that's due to the size of their vehicles more than anything :P

Granted, the stripes could be painted with a little better paint so they would show up better at night. Reflectors marking the lines are also something that could be useful. :whistling:

One thing I do notice that drivers do here that I absolutely LOVE ... they wave to one another and to pedestrians (and not just with one finger, either). I find this very refreshing and it's always something I welcome when I return home and is something that I do in return.

One thing I do notice that drivers do here that I absolutely LOVE ... they wave to one another and to pedestrians (and not just with one finger, either).  I find this very refreshing and it's always something I welcome when I return home and is something that I do in return.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, the NY salute. I don't miss that one bit :rofl:

If you ask me, drivers in the Northern Virginia/DC area are much worse than drivers in Greenville. It varies a lot there, but overall I felt that people weren't good drivers. And don't even get me started on Boston. People think nothing of cutting in to change lanes, even if there are mere inches between their car and yours!

And of course it is frustrating when you pull off the road in a rural area and you get behind someone going 25 mph in their old farm truck. :angry:

Also, I had never really thought about it, but a friend of mine from Los Angeles visited me in Greenville around Christmas last year and he was amazed at how fast people drove. He was especially amazed when we went to Atlanta! :D

Archived