Portsmouth development

vdogg

Poor Portsmouth :( . Every time i open the paper it's more bad news for them. I really wish they could get their redevelopment under way. I just love they way their skyline compliments Norfolks and with Norfolk growing there gonna have to try to keep up somehow. And i really don't think a walmart is the answer to their woes either. The Gas lamp district project, which is an urban infill development project that is currently stalled, would be the best direction for them to take IMO.

Home Depot withdrawal deals blow to Portsmouth

By MEGHAN HOYER, The Virginian-Pilot

Edited by vdogg

They should join with the city of Norfolk, I think Norfolk would bring P-town back to life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There has been serious discussion of this for a long time. One major concern for both cities is the magnification of their current problems, particularly for Norfolk. Norfolk is currently going through a decent size revitalization but i think things are still a bit too fragile for them to go through a major upheaval like this. Maybe 10 years down the road once downtown is more built out and things are a little more settled.

They should join with the city of Norfolk, I think Norfolk would bring P-town back to life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heck they don't even have to do that. They (and all the cities in HR) could just consolidate some services, like Firefighting, Police, water systems, etc. That would save the cities a lot of money, some more than others admitedly, but in the long run, even VA BCH would benefit from a more sucessful Portsmouth.

Heck they don't even have to do that. They (and all the cities in HR) could just consolidate some services, like Firefighting, Police, water systems, etc. That would save the cities a lot of money, some more than others admitedly, but in the long run, even VA BCH would benefit from a more sucessful Portsmouth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that we should put it to a vote and let the citizens decide what we want! I vote YEA!

I can't see any reason not to merge the two cities other than some jobs will be lost by council members who long to hold on to their positions of power!

We could consoladate all our jail and corrections facilities at one location while both waterfronts are freed up for prime development. I really don't know why Norfolk and Portsmouth both have it's jails on sites which are vital to each city.

A good start would be combining services and evaluating the results of this action.

I think that we should put it to a vote and let the citizens decide what we want! I vote YEA!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do that kr and you will probably disappointed by the result. I really can't see anyway, short of military force, of convincing the people of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and probably to some degree Suffolk, to join forces with Norfolk. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who are anti-regionalism in this area. Yes it makes sense but by and large i don't see the support for it. I could see the support being garnered for a Norfolk, P-town merger but thats about it.

I could see the support being garnered for a Norfolk, P-town merger but thats about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think one of the biggest issues would be what would you call the combined city? Both the Norfolk and Portsmouth names have historical reference because of each cities history, and because the names themselves are historically significant to their founding and founders.

On a brighter note for Portsmouth, they have reopened a 7 story hotel downtown, and will soon have shops and a restaurant on the first floor.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...4468&ran=209862

Edited by Glassoul

I don't think Portsmouth will ever get out of the red without some help. Maybe thats the only way the merger will ever happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hold out some hope for my hometown. If they get that Gas Lamp district going and bring in some decent rateables downtown they could create enough energy to make improvements to city infrastructure, schools, etc. It's not an easy road ahead for Portsmouth but fortunately there are similarly distressed communities around the country that have been able to make significant progress toward improving themselves

I hope your right, but Portsmouth has to get rid of that nasty cloud that has been hovering over it for so many years. Portsmouth rep has to improve before we see good retail come in their. Its going to be a challange for them to eliminate that rep, but lets hope they do because it influences the metro area too.

A bit more good news for Portsmouth.

Lindab to move U.S. headquarters to Portsmouth and invest $6 million.

(Though most of their staff is already in Portsmouth, the remainder from CT will be relocating there over the next couple of years, and they will be adding about 60 jobs to the 120 on the payroll now.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...4492&ran=220315

• 3 weeks later...

I think this area will be alot more attractive once alot of these projects have either begun or in the process of being completed. We will as an area have alot to bring to the table. What we really need is if you ask someone to chose us and alot of other areas is something for us to stand out for them to want to come to this area, it either needs to be jobs, culture, or major league sports. With these improvements to the area it should make our way of life better.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally hate Walmart but i guess that some development is better than no development at all. I mean they need something there.

Wal-Mart Supercenter will open in Portsmouth's Midtown

By MEGHAN HOYER, The Virginian-Pilot

A close up of proposed Gas lamp district.

index.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When are they actually going to build this thing????? I think it will help P-town grow and I think the Wal-Mart will also help things come about. The only down fall is that the projects are in walking distance so there might be alot of problems in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart.

When are they actually going to build this thing????? I think it will help P-town grow and I think the Wal-Mart will also help things come about. The only down fall is that the projects are in walking distance so there might be alot of problems in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know that they are gonna build it. I remember an article a while back about P-town city council holding this up for some reason. I just can't remember what that is.