Portsmouth development

vdogg

Examples of good waterfront development

My wife and I spent several days in Saint Petersburg, Fl. last week. The development downtown is amazing. This provides a good overview of what has been done, and what is planned. Specific details of two mixed use (retail/residential) are here. Take a look at this and this currently under construction. We should settle for nothing less, and certainly nothing as bad as the Fort Norfolk Prison.

• 1 month later...

Work on the Comfort Restaurant looks to be coming coming around. Construction on it has been going on for well over a month. It also looks like the upstairs is being renovated into condos/apartments.

I believe work may me commencing on the Farm Fresh building as well. Yesterday moring, the doors of the building were open and it looked like a couple of construction workers were going in and out. My question is, where will the parking be for the store? Are parking requirements relaxed in Portsmouth for a "Neighborhood Grocery Store"?

A few new apartments and an ice cream store beside Olde Towne Bakery (I've been told) are also going up on High Street in Olde Towne. It looks like the apartments are either fully completed or nearly completed. The ice cream shop renovation just went underway a couple of weeks ago.

A few older businesses have also shut down as the redevelopment continues on High Street. Both pawn shops have recently went out of business. I've heard that they both will be renovated and new businesses will be coming in, but I haven't heard which businesses they will be. There was a rumor a few months back that a Panera Bread Restaurant may be coming to the area.

Two new Restaurants have opened on High Street over the past few months. Alt Platz Brewery opened over the winter and a new Italian Resaurant (can't remember the name, something Amore) opened basically across the street from Alt Platz. I haven't been to Alt Platz, but the Italian place is pretty good. The atmosphere of the place is great and the food is good, and very cheap for an Italian restaurant. My wife and I got a couple of takeout subs for dinner last night, and it came up to just over 12 dollars.

Finally, it looks like the construction of the city "gateway" is coming along as well. Much of the curbing has been installed and it looks like the traffic divider has also been consructed and initial landscaping efforts have begun on it (basically dirt has been added to it).

That's all i got for right now, but I'll keep everyone updating as some of these projects progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Alt Platz Brewery opened over the winter and a new Italian Resaurant (can't remember the name, something Amore) opened basically across the street from Alt Platz. I haven't been to Alt Platz, but the Italian place is pretty good. The atmosphere of the place is great and the food is good, and very cheap for an Italian restaurant. My wife and I got a couple of takeout subs for dinner last night, and it came up to just over 12 dollars.

Finally, it looks like the construction of the city "gateway" is coming along as well. Much of the curbing has been installed and it looks like the traffic divider has also been consructed and initial landscaping efforts have begun on it (basically dirt has been added to it).

That's all i got for right now, but I'll keep everyone updating as some of these projects progress.

Had a chance to visit Alt Platz Brewery yet?

Good news about the Norcom property. Don't expect high-end retailers though, probably something along the lines of a modern strip mall, maybe a bit nicer, but really that would still be a major improvement.

Edited by Glassoul

Portsmouth Moves Ahead With Plans for New Shopping Center at I.C. Norcom Site

Plans for a new development with stores at the site of the old I.C. Norcom School are proceeding on schedule. The exact stores have yet to be announced. I will take them at their word that the development will have an "urban" feel.

The Virginian Pilot

Authority advances plans for new TCC campus.

City leaders today edged closer to the promise of hosting almost 5,000 community college students in Portsmouth by the fall of 2008. This morning, the city's Economic Development Authority approved final agreements for a new Tidewater Community College campus in the Victory business park development. The endorsement is contingent on City Council's approval of the agreement tonight.

The EDA will convey 35 acres of land to the State Board for Community Colleges. The city will pay about $12 million toward infrastructure supporting the urban campus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hotel Developer Sues Portsmouth

A developer whose plans for a Value Place hotel near the new Victory development has decided to sue the Portsmouth City Council. I do not see the proposed hotel as an asset to the area. The addition of fake shutters would, in fact, make the cheap building look even worse. Just say NO to Value Place.

The Virginian-Pilot

Edited by tombarnes

Montgomery Square @ High Street

"Portsmouth's newest destination" has started on the southeast corner of High and Effingham. It comprises all of the 700 Block of High, on the southside of the street.

The first building rehabilitated is 725 High, and will be the home of Comfort, a Richmond restaurant -- slated to open, initially for dinner only, in two weeks. It comprises over 38,000 sq. ft. of development, and will have 21 rental residential units above the restaurant.

In August '07, rehab will start on 719 High, which will also feature retail on the first floor, and 16 rental residential units above. In both buildings, units will be 1 and 2 BR, and are targeted to rent for $800 - $1000.

The final piece is the corner building -- and the developer, The Rockville Group, is in discussions with Farm Fresh to open a store similar to their planned Marketplace concept in Harbor Heights. There is some concern on Ron Dennis' part that a store there will cannibalize sales from the FF at Victory Crossing. The developer is willing to entertain the thought of rental concessions should that happen. They are also willing to pass redevelopment tax credits, in the amount of $3M, to FF to offset the $6M in finish out. Nearly 40 lofts are planned for this building. There have also been discussions with Trader Joe's -- the only rub being that TJ's is not a full service grocer, and for that reason, would not serve as broad a market as FF. The drawings I saw also showed a drug store in part of that building, fronting on High.

All in all -- over 125K sq. ft. of mixed use redevelopment. There is also the potential for a 400+ space parking garage behind the site, between King and County streets, half a block off Effingham.

Great news for Portsmouth -- urban living, with a different feel from Granby, and, for now, lower price points. Don't be surprised, however, if the lofts, should they prove successful, go condo in a few years.

• 3 weeks later...

Another mention of Comfort coming to Portsmouth in the latest issue of Food and Wine magazine. Although the mention of Portsmouth being one hour outside Richmond might be pushing it... Anyway, those of you in Portsmouth will enjoy Comfort. I know we love it in Richmond.

Food and Wine - Comfort expansion

Another mention of Comfort coming to Portsmouth in the latest issue of Food and Wine magazine. Although the mention of Portsmouth being one hour outside Richmond might be pushing it... Anyway, those of you in Portsmouth will enjoy Comfort. I know we love it in Richmond.

Food and Wine - Comfort expansion

Drove by last night -- there was someone coming out of the entrance to the lofts. Asked, and they said about two weeks until Comfort opens -- still needs a COO and to pass the health inspection.

I am going to have to patronize that place until they love me so much they will add Chicken Fried Steak to the menu. They just don't know what they are missing....

I wish I was at Threadgill's right now eating a CFS, mashed potatoes and cream gravy, and stewed okra. Comfort is perfectly capable of filling that craving, once they make a slight menu addition. (grin).

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the opening would be soon. I drive by it on Crawford every day and it has looked nearly completed for some time now. From what I have seen, the entrance looks very nice.

Also, it looks like the Comfort restaurant and the catering/lunch restaurant will be open for business fairly soon. Also, my wife and I walked by the new ice cream shop on Monday, and the inside looked very well done. They haven't done much to the outside, but if I recall correctly, they were having issues with the zoning and/or planning staff.