Portsmouth development

vdogg

• 3 weeks later...

Plans for another highrise, on Portsmouth's North Pier, appear to be moving forward. :)

But John S. Johnson, CEO of James River Ventures, the New England investment group that bought Ocean Marine, said he has met with Mayor James Holley and Lynch to discuss the cityowned site next to City Hall. A national chain steak house

If mixed use is the future, the future is now

Less than two years after being announced, the first three buildings are up and construction crews are turning ground for more in Hampton Roads Crossing.

The planned 148-acre development, which straddles the border of Portsmouth and Suffolk, is combining a high-tech research and education park with an urban-style mix of homes, shops and offices. There are also sites for two hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

Portsmouth officials want to begin steps to expand regional jail

City leaders have long lamented the use of a prime waterfront site for the aging Portsmouth City Jail . Some council members have advocated tearing it down and sending inmates to an expanded regional jail. But if the city jail were to close, some Portsmouth deputies

Oxford Place Condos

Someone told me a few months back about the "new condos going in behind Daily Grind on High". But I didn't know what they were talking about until tonight. We had dinner at Roger Brown's, and when we left, I finally saw what my friend was talking about.

Great location -- more of the residential growth on High Street -- at both ends.

Are the signs renderings, or just advertisements? If they're just advertisements, it could still be a ways off.

No, they are just signs with the companys name. They have a lot of No trespassing signs everywhere. And also a plus, All of Jeffery Wilson is boarded up, no one is currently living in the complex.

No, they are just signs with the companys name. They have a lot of No trespassing signs everywhere. And also a plus, All of Jeffery Wilson is boarded up, no one is currently living in the complex.

Does anyone know about the new apartments on the lot nex to Jerrery Wilson? Is it section 8 housing?

I agree, vdogg, it's too vague to make a judgment. If this were done right, it could be an excellent design. However, I have my doubts. With Portsmouth's financial situation it would seem extravagant if they built their new courthouse in brick and stone. They'll probably go with the least expensive materials, and they're perfectly justified in doing so. There are good arguments for building a courthouse as a public monument, and there are good arguments to be made on the side of fiscal responsibility in hard times as well. As a person who is happy to call Portsmouth home no matter where I live, I sorta hope they'll build a great courthouse. But if not, I'd understand.

I like the traditional quad layout of the new TCC campus. It's cool that each campus has its own identidy: Norfolk is urban, VB is lake-center oriented/hapzard growth (mid/late 20th century college-style), and Portsmouth is traditional (pre-1900 style). I'm not including Chesapeake because it's only 2 building.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I do not know if this was previously posted. It is regarding the I C Norcom lot. Well the project I believe will be name "Gateway"

It is a pretty massive project, not only does it include the old Norcom lot, but other lots surrounding the New IHOP . So Its pretty large.

GATEWAY

There is no renderings out yet, but a layout. I hope this project becomes a major focus for Portsmouth. Best of luck Ptown!

Fire Destroys Zion Baptist Church and Three Other Significant Structures in Portsmouth

The Zion Baptist Church was destroyed by fire last Thursday, carrying three other significant structures along with it. The restored building which housed Skipjack Antiques was damaged and has been demolished by the city. The demolition seems hasty to me, but I haven't even been able to get a true picture of the damage. To say the least, this is devastating for the 600 block of High Street. It's sad to think that so much effort on the part of the local residents has been set back by this tragedy.

The Virginian-Pilot Online

• 2 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/firm-propo...uild-courthouse

Firm proposes deal to build Portsmouth courthouse and other developments including 6-star hotel on oceanfront, and McArther Center style mall in Victory Crossing.

Kinda sounds like another South Korean story that Virginia Beach had. But, good luck to them. :dontknow::ermm:

The fall through of the South Korean deal was largely the fault of Va. Beach. There actually was some confirmation to the legitimacy of Sunrise, the differences were largely cultural. We'll never know if they were truly legit or not because we never got to the point that we could fully vet that company, Dave Hansen made sure of that. This seems like it has a little less legitimacy than the last deal, but again, we'll see. Portsmouth should vet them just like anyone else. What they should not do is be completely dismissive.

BTW, there is only one 6-star hotel in the world. It is the Armani Hotel being built as part of the Burj Dubai. So...ummm...yeah, don't think that ones happening. :lol: Doesn't mean some of the other components can't work though.