Portsmouth development

vdogg

Ocean Marine sale stalls

The sale of Ocean Marine Yacht Center in Portsmouth is sunk unless a Connecticut investment group can raise $10 million within 25 days.

James River Ventures, a New England investment consortium led by John Johnson, proposed last October to buy the 19.5-acre yacht repair center and 122-slip marina from Norfolk ship repairer Marine Hydraulics International Inc.

link

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Super Walmart off Frederick Blvd today and noticed a fairly large new apartment complex across the old Norcom HS lot. I looked on the internet and am guessing that these are the Crescent Place Apartments. It looks like a great improvement over the run down housing that was over in that area. Midtown has definitely made a lot of improvent in the last few years and it looks to continue with the Gateway project mentioned above.

704838.p01.jpg

• 2 months later...

Looks like the main anchor for the Portsmouth "Gateway development in Midtown" would be a Target. Hopefully its a super target. They are calling for this thing to be open in March 2010. So we should be seeing some construction soon.. hopefully.

would be a Target. Hopefully its a super target.

I don't think that is likely. SuperTargets are around 175K sq. ft. -- this is 136K, much like the new one at Strawbridge. Also like the one at Strawbridge, there is expansion space adjacent -- possibly to grow into a SuperTarget in the future?

• 2 weeks later...

Portsmouth is now considering the option of renovating its courthouse and keeping it on the waterfront. Interesting that most posters on pilot want the land used for more profitable uses (i.e., hotels, offices, residential, etc.), and they don't even mind the cost in moving to a new location. Wow.

Courthouse

Edited by Sky06

Portsmouth is now considering the option of renovating its courthouse and keeping it on the waterfront. Interesting that most posters on pilot want the land used for more profitable uses (i.e., hotels, offices, residential, etc.), and they don't even mind the cost in moving to a new location. Wow.

Courthouse

Funny that the one area of P-town that they would keep a place with an attached Jail is the most expensive real estate in the city. I cant believe they would consider this when they could build an entirely new complex in the planned "Midtown" to help spur development.

DT PTown and Old town dont need as much help and the land could be used for something much more. Its perfectly placed between High St bars/restaurants and the Amphitheater. That entire 3 block area which includes several surface parking lots and one large low-rise parking lot, could be developed into something really nice. And speaking of a waste of space, upon looking at satellite images, I couldnt believe my eyes...the Courthouse has a RIVERFRONT SURFACE PARKING LOT!

Funny that the one area of P-town that they would keep a place with an attached Jail is the most expensive real estate in the city. I cant believe they would consider this when they could build an entirely new complex in the planned "Midtown" to help spur development.

DT PTown and Old town dont need as much help and the land could be used for something much more. Its perfectly placed between High St bars/restaurants and the Amphitheater. That entire 3 block area which includes several surface parking lots and one large low-rise parking lot, could be developed into something really nice. And speaking of a waste of space, upon looking at satellite images, I couldnt believe my eyes...the Courthouse has a RIVERFRONT SURFACE PARKING LOT!

I couldn't agree more, Portsmouth is really dropping the ball on this. The Old Town residents need to use their substantial pull with the city to make the hard choices.

The problem is money. It made sense to build that complex where it is, in 1961 (I think that is when it was started). The city is stuck -- $50M to do it right, at the traffic circle. $27M in renovations that will not address the judges security issues and not be a permanent solution. Again, not enough capital funds money to do it now. You can point all you want to how stupid it is to have it where it is, in 2008. Ken Chandler, the new city manager, recognizes it, believe me. He wants to fix it more than anyone here -- just doesn't have the money to do it. And it won't be going to Midtown -- the biggest problem in Old Town is a lack of daytime workers to patronize High Street. It will be on the Columbus Circle --- just a matter of when. Then, standby for those surface lots, that are so easy to point to, being added to the tax rolls.

Standby for a major development announcement in Portsmouth -- can't say anything now, but you will be amazed when it goes public.

I'm hoping in no way does it have anything do with Sen Lucas' shenanigans off Victory Blvd...how she fleeced $1.8 million from residents to finance it is beyond me. Here's to hoping City Council doesn't blow my tax dollars on a poorly planned pipe dream

You do have me excited tho scm

scm....is this the news?!?!? :w00t:

APM in Talks to Bring North American HQ to Portsmouth

APM Terminals, one of the world's largest marine terminal operators, is negotiating with city officials about moving its North American headquarters here, two Portsmouth City Council members said Tuesday.

APM, the Netherlands-based division of the Danish shipping conglomerate A.P. Moller-Maersk Group, now has its North American headquarters in Charlotte, N.C. Last summer, it opened a $450 million terminal off the Western Freeway in Portsmouth that is one of the world's most technologically advanced.

Landing APM's North American base would be a coup for the city because it would supply high-level jobs, tax revenue and international prestige, said Councilman Steve Heretick.

While this is great news, this is not the week of the 22nd yet. ;) Hmm. I wonder what it could be. Sounds pretty major.
Spoke one of the principals last night -- on track to go before council the week of the 22nd. And while I too am excited about the prospects of APM moving here, that isn't what I was talking about.

Spoke one of the principals last night -- on track to go before council the week of the 22nd. And while I too am excited about the prospects of APM moving here, that isn't what I was talking about.

We've been getting hints over the past two years that Portsmouth is on the verge of a major renaissance. It seems like all the pieces are just starting to fall into place. We get light rail through the expanded midtown and I think that Portsmouth will just explode.

This is indeed fantastic news ! :) I've always loved Portsmouth (most of it, anyway), and I think this is an important step in realizing that "renaissance" you mention, vdogg.

The comments on that article are about as ridiculous as usual... the first one, Portsmouth going from a "clean, faimly-friendly city" to a "container city"? Really? ... I can understand the concern over using taxpayer dollars, but people never get the connection that moving a major NA HQ to Portsmouth has the potential to really transform the city, improve overall quality of life, and generate millions more dollars for the city to be spent on improving schools, infrastructure, safety, etc. C'mon people

I can't wait for another 2 weeks to hear this "BIG" news :)

It's also the same 2 or 3 bozos on the comment section, complaining about their tax dollars. Some people do not understand the concept of taking money to make money. The cities (and therefore the taxpayers) partially funding large projects is an easy concept to understand and therefore get fired up about. When you start talking about rates of return for the public entities, these guys don't want to hear it or don't understand it. It's really frustrating to read their comments.

I live in Portsmouth, and would be more than happy to share my tax dollars on projects that will enhance the quality of life within the city.

Does anybody know a ballpark figure of how many jobs and what kind of jobs this would create for the city?

While this is great news, this is not the week of the 22nd yet. ;) Hmm. I wonder what it could be. Sounds pretty major.

I was hoping somebody couldn't contain themselves and spilled the beans early :blush:

surferheel, i'm with you, as a Portsmouth resident i'm all for my tax dollars enticing a huge international conglommerate. Thankfully Portsmouth City Council seems to be a little more advanced in ignoring residents pointless criticism.

• 2 weeks later...