Portsmouth development

vdogg

HISTORIC DOWNTOWN PORTSMOUTH LOFT TOUR

This mobile workshop will tour the recently renovated and nearly complete Montgomery Square project in the heart of Downtown Portsmouth. A collection of 9 different age and

construction type buildings coming together to form 69 high-end and loft-style apartments, 50,000 square feet of retail/commercial space and various support amenities. With

a total investment of more than $28,000,000, this project made use of both Historic Tax Credits and VHDA’s Mixeduse with Mixed-income financing program. Participants will

be able to take a tour of the project, meet with the developers who will speak about the realworld challenges of adaptively reusing historic buildings and using the tax credit

program, meet with a VHDA representative who will discuss the financing program and meet with a Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority representative who will

discuss how the project came together.

MOBILE WORKSHOPS

This is a workshop to be provided by the Virginia American Planning Association conference to be held in Norfolk in May.

There are many reasons to go visit Olde Towne Portsmouth, if you haven't been there, you guys should all check it out.

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Ntelos is opening a store in the eastern most part of the Montgomery Square redevelopment. (near Effingham and High)

There is very little vacant retail left on High St East of Effingham.

Also signage has been placed at the corner of Chesnut and High concerning a redevelopment of several buildings into a "retail and lifestyle" center. The signs are posted on about half of the buildings in the 800th block of High St.

Portsmouth needs to get a couple of corporate relocations operating downtown (West of Effingham St). I see a lot of potential down there, the "live and play" atmosphere is there but there isn't a whole lot of "work".

• 3 weeks later...

Another apartment renovation in the works for Old Towne:

462651000.jpg?cid=omc

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/05/historic-portsmouth-building-could-get-facelift

Andy McCullough, one of the developers, said he is working on a site plan for 20 apartments and an investment of $2.6 million to $2.8 million on the project, which he is doing with partner Bill Roach.

The men also renovated the Montgomery Square building in the 700 block of High St. That project included 69 upscale apartments, 52 of which are occupied or preleased, McCullough said

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to Old Town/Downtown Portsmouth this evening for my cousin's graduation at the nTelos Pavillion.. I was impressed.. I've really never been down there except High Street, and I really like it.. it also looks like quite a bit of construction activity.. & the views along the waterfront of downtown Norfolk are GREAT.

• 1 month later...

New apartment developments planned for downtown Portsmouth.

499061.jpg

499071000.jpg

Hints at possibly getting rid of the near waterfront jail...

http://hamptonroads....-waterfront#rfq

Hopefully this proposal goes through and it is built. Unfortunately we know how many proposals have sprouted up and then vanished into no mans land in Portsmouth.

P.S. Who's ides was it to put a jail on the waterfront?! :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Ground is broken for court complex.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/ground-broken-court-complex-portsmouth

I am surprised to see it started now. Seems soon to me. I was also surprised to see it on the other side of 264 from Old Town. Maybe it'll transform that side of the interstate. That also leaves room for those great new towers that we've seen renderings of, right? ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/3.6m-sale-of-land-approved-in-ports?ref=scroller&categoryId=20000&status=true

The plan is to build two separate buildings.

"The building will be a fantastic addition to the architecture and the appearance of downtown, but more important are the residents returning to the city's downtown," said Small.

Local shop and restaurant owners that WAVY.com spoke with were excited about the plans. To have almost 300 apartment units within walking distance means potentially much more business for them.

"Definitely bring more people down, down here to the restaurants and in going to the restaurants. They're going to see our business," said Downtown merchant Madeline Grimes.

The hope for the city leaders is to close the deal by early 2012.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think that they added a few floors to the tower at the medical hospital.

It's good to see some more height on the Portsmouth side of the water.

Ok, I thought it was just me. It definitely looks taller now. I've been searching for months though and haven't found any information on this project.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone believe that the old Holiday Inn site will be developed in the near future?

Hopefully, when the market improves, the waterfront properties will finally get new development to include the city hall property. I really hope that the downtown waterfront will build vertical to compliment the same type developments across the river in downtown Norfolk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...