Portsmouth development

vdogg

Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Suffolk did consider mergering before. Suffolk eventually backed out, that collapsed the whole plan. Suffolk had the extra space that both Norfolk and Portsmouth needed to grow. It's funny how you all speak of Portsmouth, is so disrespectful. Norfolk and Portsmouth were both set up to fail when the Virginia assembly practically suffocated both cities. When Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, and Suffolk were created it killed all chances of the REAL cities in the area from growing by annexing land. Hampton Roads only exist because of the industries in Norfolk and Portsmouth PERIOD. How in the hell did new cities suck up all the free land, it was robbery. It's also rooted in racism but I digress..... Honestly the state should force South Hampton Roads to merge because both cities were ROBBED. Norfolk/ Portsmouth  would easily be a major cities without Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Funny thing is those 2 cities get along best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/columnist/ida-kays-portsmouth/article_bd323de0-44d6-11e9-8aa4-67b511d9f138.html

The only thing I agree with in this article is owning City Hall instead of renting it. Everything else seems like typical NIMBY bs and fear-mongering. It seems like literally every possible positive development in this area is couched in a negative light, and the spin of "conspiracy" is put on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Governor Northam Announces $60 Million Investment in the City of Portsmouth

Governor Ralph Northam today announced that Preferred Freezer Services, one of the largest public refrigerated warehousing companies in the world, will invest $60 million to construct a 200,000-square-foot cold storage warehouse in the City of Portsmouth. The new facility will be used to import, export, process, and distribute a variety of food products, positioning the company to meet the growing demand for cold storage space. Virginia successfully competed with Georgia for the project, which will create 60 new jobs.”

• Like 1

I think the "campus" statement is bigger news than the 60 warehouse job creation. If the build out by Buddy goes well we may have a headquarters move in the near future. I'm sure it's cheaper to do business in Va versus NJ. Sounds similar to what Atlanta and Norfolk Southern pulled on Norfolk. Obviously, this is not a F500 company but...

• Like 1

Portsmouth's state of the city's biggest news was the preferred freezer development, a cannabis oil shop opening in November, and making Portsmouth a smart city and adding an internal fiber loop to the regional one. 

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_11d27aee-5a0e-11e9-be76-b740e48645f1.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm all for citizen suggestions but this "public input" always worries me. Let's be honest, most people are generally ignorant when it comes to things like this. You will always get the "Don't do anything and use the money for the schools and teachers" or "I want to just have a giant park for my kids and dogs to play". I mean honestly, if all the NIMBY's had it their way DT Norfolk would look like a botanical gardens with swing sets and plywood stand-ins for kiddy pictures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Portsmouth Civic Center has been condemned. The city manager expects all prisoners will be transferred to Hampton Roads Regional Jail. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/local/article_7f86434a-ae14-11e9-b918-db87419989b4.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

You gotta feel for the sheriff and all his staff. But I wonder if this is really a safety issue, a development move or just a budget cutting decision.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Grammar
  • Like 1

The things that go on in Portsmouth... I feel for the people of Portsmouth, and I really want the city to succeed, but there seems to be an embarrassing level of mismanagement and infighting at every single level of city government. There is simply no part of that city's government that functions correctly and everybody seems to be at each other's throats. Portsmouth will never pull themselves out of this slump unless they get their act together.

• Like 3

How does Portsmouth even proceed at this point? The prior mayor had the controversial "low-speed chase" with the Sheriff's office, one of the council members makes racist tweets, and now this. The schools are in bad shape, and it seems like every time they want to move forward, something pulls them back. It's a city with a lot of potential, but they can't seem to get out of their own way.

• Like 2