Portsmouth development

vdogg

It's not whether we can sustain these developments or not. Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Virginia Beach, Newport News, and now even Chesapeake feel the pinch of not being able to grow out anymore. Their only choice is to grow up and create dense developments like this. It is not really a fad (except the condo craze). You have alot of retirees wanting to get out of their cars and single family houses who tire of the yardwork week in and week out and seek a more pedestrian friendly environment. The urban developments in every city are capturing that group in addition to the population that still seems to be migrating into Hampton Roads. Portsmouth's developments are very encouraging. I would love to see this city completely revitalized.

What do you mean only my city should be doing this. That is not my point dude. I'm talking regionally if we can keep having these pop up and actually support it! Calm your nerves dude

That's cool. I'm calm. It's just an oddity that this area has so many cities and downtowns. There doesn't appear to be any regionalism; just 7 cites connected by some highways and tunnels and bridges. I guess I see the tall towers in VA Beach and Norfolk having huge chearing squads and then when this pretty cool relatively low profile developement pops up I see doubts. I've lived in Richmond and Philly, and what I miss about those cities is that you really only had one downtown and if you were a downtown fan as I am you never had to face the possibility that the neighboring village was going to built a "Town Center" and in some ways take some of the wind out of your sail. If you wanted highrise living in Philly you went to Center City (that's what they call their downtown in case you don't know). Here you can scratch your old head and think, hmmmm, I can live in Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Newport News. We're sort of a little (I'm talking little, little) LA in this respect. If you're like me and prefer a nice and tidy singular big downtown, I think your basically screwed in Hampton Roads. But in the end, so what. I like it here and it's definately an interesting set up. Yes, I'd rather see Norfolk get all the wind so it's sail can really get huge and we can bask in the glory of a big downtown and probably have pro sports and towers twice the height. Because that's not gonna ever happen, I'll be happy for this little thingy here in Portsmouth and not worry about the winds dying down.

I don't think having multiple "town centers" is a bad or even competitive thing. With the exception of perhaps Va Beach Town Center, these new urban developments are intended to serve the needs of community residents, rather than to be regional destinations. They provide a few retail, restaurant, workplace establishments, and residences that come together to create a sense of place or center within a community.

Think of New England or Northeastern suburbs. Within northern New Jersey there are literally hundreds of incorporated municipalities, all bordering each other (instead of 7 cities, think 368 cities, towns, & boroughs). Almost all have a downtown of some sort, whether it be just a couple blocks of a Main Street or highrise office and residential buildings. The spaces between these old village/town/city centers are where you find the sprawly mess typical of most suburban regions.

I think much of New Urbanism is an attempt to recreate these old suburban villages/towns/cities, thereby giving a "sense of place" (big planning buzz phrase) or a focus to what many see as mindless suburbia.

Therefore I think this "town center" in Portsmouth, whether it consists of just this one building, or grows to a several-block area, will serve the needs of residents in a small part of Portsmouth. The SoNo development will serve residents in a small part of South Norfolk. And so on. You may visit some or all of these areas at some point, but their real intention, IMO, is to be community centers, not regional draws. Therefore I say bring them on. Suburbia and neglected urban neighborhoods need some breaths of fresh air. These things allow people to do their everyday shopping in their neighborhoods. They'll still go downtown for special needs and occasions that their village centers cannot provide.

Edited by lammius

Portsmouth Rejects Condos across from Belharbor :angry:

A proposal to build condominiums instead of a trash port along the waterfront died Monday, when the City Council rejected residential uses for the highly industrialized area around the Jordan Bridge.

The move kills developer G. Paylor Spruill's offer to build a 500-unit condominium complex similar to Belharbour Station at SoNo, the development he is working on across the river in Chesapeake.

While I do understand the reasoning this is horribly disappointing news that both calls into question the viability of Belharbor Station at SoNo and increases the likelihood of us becoming New Yorks trash dump. Whatever the decided future use of that land now I believe that turning it into a trash dump, against near unanimous community opposition across both cities, is a completely unacceptable outcome. Come on Portsmouth, get a little self respect and do not allow another city to dump its trash on you. <_<

After reading the consultant firms statements I'm fine with the city's decision not to approve this development. They should also reject the trash dump a.k.a "terminal" for that area. In this case having nothing built there is way better than the alternative. Say NO to trash Portsmouth!!!!

After reading the consultant firms statements I'm fine with the city's decision not to approve this development. They should also reject the trash dump a.k.a "terminal" for that area. In this case having nothing built there is way better than the alternative. Say NO to trash Portsmouth!!!!

I too understand why they rejected the development, but damn a trash dump. I guess they need money bad.

I too understand why they rejected the development, but damn a trash dump. I guess they need money bad.

Regarding Portsmouth's rejection of residential on the Allied Site -- the city manager of Portsmouth called Paylor Spruill on the telephone on the morning of the article in the paper and told him the article was incorrect, that the Portsmouth City Council is still considering his residential proposal. This article was written and published strategically yesterday morning before Paylor Spruill presented his formal proposal in front of the Portsmouth City Council last night. Paylor Spruill says he believes the article was intended to interrupt his presentation to City Council last evening and undermind his efforts elsewhere. In my opinion, it sounds like SPSA or whomever is working to help them is getting desperate for that trash port to go through. Who instructed Meghan Hoyer to write this article in such a way to produce disinformation most officials and professionals involved know who it "is" but to use Meghan Hoyer as a pawn and damage the credibility of the Pilot paper as well as the credibility of Portsmouth City government is just plain stupid. I've been in this country for five years and I work for Belharbour's developer. I come from a country with a Mafia controlled government and I'm amazed at the inside workings of city government here and the similarities to my own government. I hope to see some improvements in Hampton Rds. government as justice and democracy in this country should prevail but I have to wonder... I love reading Urban Planet. Thank you for the opportunity.

Edited by Serbian Underground

Regarding Portsmouth's rejection of residential on the Allied Site -- the city manager of Portsmouth called Paylor Spruill on the telephone on the morning of the article in the paper and told him the article was incorrect, that the Portsmouth City Council is still considering his residential proposal. This article was written and published strategically yesterday morning before Paylor Spruill presented his formal proposal in front of the Portsmouth City Council last night. Paylor Spruill says he believes the article was intended to interrupt his presentation to City Council last evening and undermind his efforts elsewhere. Sounds like SPSA or whomever is working to help them is getting desperate. Who instructed Meghan Hoyer to write this article in such a way to produce disinformation most officials and professionals involved know who it "is" but to use Meghan Hoyer as a pawn and damage the credibility of the Pilot paper as well as the credibility of Portsmouth City government is just plain stupid. I've been in this country for five years and I work for Belharbour's developer. I come from a country with a Mafia controlled government and I'm amazed at the inside workings of city government here and the similarities in regard to incompetence and corruption. I hope to see some improvements in Hampton Rds. government as justice and democracy in this country should prevail but I have to wonder... I love reading Urban Planet. Thank you for the opportunity.

Such is the nature of politics Serbian. You should experience the backdealings of Richmond sometime! :wacko:

Such is the nature of politics Serbian. You should experience the backdealings of Richmond sometime! :wacko:

I went to Richmond with Mr. Spruill and he told me of stories about his dealings with Richmond. He said it will be good learning experience for land development in Bosnia if they can ever clear all the land mines. The Balkans are notorious for mafia in everything.

Regarding Portsmouth's rejection of residential on the Allied Site -- the city manager of Portsmouth called Paylor Spruill on the telephone on the morning of the article in the paper and told him the article was incorrect, that the Portsmouth City Council is still considering his residential proposal. This article was written and published strategically yesterday morning before Paylor Spruill presented his formal proposal in front of the Portsmouth City Council last night.

So what was the result of last nights presentation, and why would they come out with an article like that? I think we have someone from the Craddock civic league who frequents the site who would be very interested in this information. If what you say is true, that is more than a little underhanded.

When you say Richmond, do you mean the city or the state? It seems that Wilder has been making strides in getting rid of corruption in the City govt.

I meant to say at all levels. I think all politicians try to get rid of corruption that has occurred before them. But I think history shows that every administration...city, county, state, or federal...leaves some of its own when all is said and done. There are too many people with close ties government administrations that aren't necessarily government officials (think Abramoff). Richmond is just the epicenter for it in Virginia as the state capitol.

So what was the result of last nights presentation, and why would they come out with an article like that? I think we have someone from the Craddock civic league who frequents the site who would be very interested in this information. If what you say is true, that is more than a little underhanded.

Mr. Spruill said he made his presentation on Tuesday night in closed session with the Portsmouth City Council. He said the Portsmouth City Manager, Jim Oliver apologized for the article. The presentation was well received and he felt the outcome was that two City Councilman were for his project, two were clearly against it and three were not sure. By the way, Covanta was heard in closed session soon after Mr. Spruill was finished. I agree with you vdogg that this article is more than just underhanded and I would bet that the Pilot will say no more about this to correct this situation. I feel sorry for Meghan Hoyer. She is so young and pretty. She has no idea how she is being manipulated. She represents Portsmouth on the Pilot staff. She probably would never reveal her source for this article.

The Pilot is not unbiased like it's suppose to be. It's very one sided. I really don't even understand who's side they are on. Why they don't fact check and continue to write what they want. That's a rag mag not a newspaper. You can not believe everything you read in the Pilot. Isn't that just awful.

What article are you referring to? I understand what you are saying cause they contradict (sp?) themselves all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a big dissapointment. That's valuable land that could support something much more significant. It also sounds like the city council is thinking about not removing the high rise the Holiday Inn occupies. Maybe filling it whith other tenents. :unsure:

From everything I have heard, I think the old Holiday Inn on the waterfront will indeed be gone. The building is not in great shape and is hardly an ornament to the city. I'm hoping the new one will be....well, not too hideous is probably the best we can hope for. As for what will replace the old Holiday Inn...who knows?