Portsmouth development

vdogg

I wish the article had a little bit more detail or rendering. How tall is it going to be? Is it going to be a typical suburban Holiday Inn?

It said 5-stories. So it should be an "urban" Holiday Inn.

This is a big dissapointment. That's valuable land that could support something much more significant. It also sounds like the city council is thinking about not removing the high rise the Holiday Inn occupies. Maybe filling it whith other tenents. :unsure:

Are you talking about the Olde-Towne Holiday Inn that the City owns? It sounds like the City plans to field redevelopment proposals for the site not the building. As for the proposed Holiday Inn, that site is south of 264 between the coffee warehouse and the interstate so it's on the industrial side of downtown. It's good infill and keeps the lots north of 264 open to better developments like the Portsmouth Towne Center and all the envisioned high-rise condos/offices/hotels.

There alot of 5 story hotels in the suburbs.

This is a 120-room hotel. 5-stories is tall. The Courtyard in Norfolk is 8 stories and has 140 rooms while the Hilton Garden in TC is 7 stories with 175 rooms. The Courtyard at Newtown is 3 stories with 120 rooms while the Olde Towne Holiday Inn, which this hotel will replace, is 4 stories with over 210 rooms. The Holiday Inns at Newtown and at Coliseum are 6 and 4 stories respectively but both have over 300 rooms. The point I'm trying to make is that this hotel is tall for its number of rooms. I suppose the best comparison is the Holiday Select Airport. Something like that is a nice addition to Portsmouth.

Also, Portsmouth isn't going for height except along the waterfront. It's going for density; lots of mid-rise structures.

Are you talking about the Olde-Towne Holiday Inn that the City owns? It sounds like the City plans to field redevelopment proposals for the site not the building. As for the proposed Holiday Inn, that site is south of 264 between the coffee warehouse and the interstate so it's on the industrial side of downtown. It's good infill and keeps the lots north of 264 open to better developments like the Portsmouth Towne Center and all the envisioned high-rise condos/offices/hotels.

We never intended that site to be always the Holiday Inn as we know it.
That says to me renovate. Is'nt this the 20 story building on the river front?

The existing Holiday Inn on the Portsmouth waterfront has been under the spell of doom for some time now. The owners did not put any money into the building(s) in any significant way for years. The site is one of the best slices of waterfront in Portsmouth, so it should be developed accordingly. A high-rise is nearly certain, though residents of the nearby One Crawford Parkway tower might complain about a tall building blocking their wiew. I'm fairly certain that the greater need for an improved waterfront will carry the day.

• 2 weeks later...

At www.insidebiz.com, a highlight is mentioned that Portsmouth's finance rating has been raised by Fitch. I don't know who Fitch is, but this is great news. It means that Portsmouth has more borrowing power to invest in capital projects such as moving the city jail. Maybe these kinds of projects will be able to move faster down the pipeline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

But when you read article it makes you wonder if this may actually be good for Portsmouth, and not just financially. If the plant will remain open no matter what and if the port comes with signed agreements that no more open-air trucks will rumble through Portsmouth streets, all sea-going trash will come via sealed containers, and the plant will be outfitted with the latest odor controls and scrubbers that Portsmouth residents come out the winners. The only better alternative would be to close the plant. I doubt that if the port is rejected that SPSA will bring the plant and trucks above state standards without incentives from Portsmouth. I understand why Chesapeake with its Belharbour development and Norfolk with increased river traffic would be against this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I drive by the Maersk-Sealand Terminal everyday going to school. Now that they've opened the overpass, with the height, you can see everything being built. At the rate they're going it will be completed in no time.

I believe it's supposed to open this summer. Just in time too. Otherwise, Virginia's ports would have hit a capacity wall by decade's end.

A friend of mine told me yesterday that roads are close and work is underway for the new traffic circle in Old Town. Also, Farm Fresh evidently bought the old antique store at the corner of High St & Effingham and they plan to open a two-story store at that spot. It will be nice to have a full grocery within walking distance of all of Old Town.

The old I.C. Norcom site deserves something better than just another ugly strip-mall. I hope this development group will be able to pull this off.

"...were composed of big-box retail stores such as Target and Lowe's mixed with smaller restaurants and mid-size retail such as Barnes & Noble. Some also had residential lofts over storefronts or condominium towers as part of the plan, City Council members said."

That quote from the article gives me hope :) I'm not anticipating the Westin being built on the property or anything, but some mid-rise building and two or three-level retail with lofts would be fantastic. Something that adds a little density, but isn't overwhelming for the surrounding neighborhoods. It's going to be interesting to see how Portsmouth will achieve that balance.