Portsmouth development

vdogg

Portsmouth would do better by trying to attract some new and unique things as well (IKEA would be nice hah hah). If it's another strip area with the same strip crap that we already have here, it will probably not do well. If it is something interesting and fun, they may attract some fo the people from the west side of Norfolk (which is woefully underserved by bigger retail outlets).

As much as no one wants to say this, nothing at the old ICN site will be sucessful until Jeffery Wilson and Howard homes are cleared away. There are many things that Portsmouth has in it's favor. Central location, acess to the rest of Hampton Roads etc. but until someone gets inside a bulldozer and bring down some things Portsmouth will keep the bad reputation it has.

• 3 weeks later...

Mixed use needs rezoning :)

Office, retail, hotels, residential, a conference center and a community college. In developer speak, having all this in one area is known as mixed-use development.

In the next few weeks, the Portsmouth Planning Commission and Portsmouth City Council will get acquainted with the idea, as they consider adopting a new type of zoning for mixed use.

At stake is Victory Business Park, a 1.8 million-square-foot project at Victory Boulevard and Greenwood Drive. In the works for more than three years, the $350 million city investment had been initially slated for just office space.

The city

Cost of a Portsmouth TCC campus has doubled

The city's 2007 budget says Portsmouth's financial commitment for the project should be capped at $6 million.

Engineers and finance experts provided the city with the preliminary estimate at least three years ago, said Councilman Ray Smith.

That was a professional "guesstimate" to get things rolling, Smith said.

The City Council, he said, always knew the cost could increase.

Council members received a new estimate at a recent meeting. That's when they learned that they only had budgeted half the money.

Now, he said, "we've got to make up that difference some kind of way."

• 1 month later...

Walmart opens in midcity

In the late 1950s, residents flocked to Mid-City Shopping Center, a new kind of retail with about 40 stores curving around acres of parking spaces.

It would have been hard for those shoppers to envision a day when that sweeping stretch of retail would be replaced by a single giant merchant selling everything under one roof.

But by the early 1990s, Mid-City had gone from boomtown to tumbleweed. Friday morning's grand opening of a Wal-Mart Supercenter represented a new beginning for the old commercial district.

I loathe Walmart but it should at least bring some life to that area.

• 4 weeks later...

New restaurant under construction in downtown on High Street, just east of Effingham, at 725 High Street. It is a branch of a Richmond upscale Southern restaurant, Comfort menu & more. Look for an April opening. Will be a great complement to Vintage Tavern in N. Suffolk, and the new Stove (in the old Market Faire location) in Port Norfolk. Also interesting that a Richmond restaurant would look to branch out in HR, and especially in Portsmouth. Says much about the changes here.

What a dumb comment!

"Building it all at once will be too expensive."

Building the whole complex at once makes more sense.

*Less time with construction.

*Yeah paying all at once can be scary, but you know thats how much you ar going to pay.

*Construction materials & labor costs will go way UP within the next 15 years.

I hope they did their homework.

Higher construction costs VS. bond interest :blink:

Edited by lil-bear

They have a lot of work to do... :thumbsup:

In other p-town news, the mammoth cranes for the new "super" terminal have been set up. If every project moved as fast as this one, I'd be a very happy camper. I swear they built the 6 or 7 story glass-covered building in a month!

I know what you mean. I passed by there the other day as was like "where the hell did that come from?" :silly: I seriously don't remember seeing the thing get built. You'd be amazed how quick a building can rise when you're using steel though. I think I read somewhere that 4 floors a week can be achieved with steel, could be wrong though.