Portsmouth development

vdogg

The week has not past yet. Give them some time. Patience is a virtue! LOL
Well, obviously Council thinks the same. They have been briefed in closed session, and appeared unanimously supportive. NO city cash in this deal. All the private funding is in place, and the preliminary site plan and elevations are done. But for now it is in the city's hands, so until they decide to go public, for whatever reason they are delaying, it will have to remain undisclosed. Sorry, but you can imagine the furor if the details leaked out before the city was ready.

Well, obviously Council thinks the same. They have been briefed in closed session, and appeared unanimously supportive. NO city cash in this deal. All the private funding is in place, and the preliminary site plan and elevations are done. But for now it is in the city's hands, so until they decide to go public, for whatever reason they are delaying, it will have to remain undisclosed. Sorry, but you can imagine the furor if the details leaked out before the city was ready.

Obviously, and its tough sitting on stuff like this but some times its necessary. I'd never want information leaked in this forum to be responsible for jeopardizing a great project.

It's also the same 2 or 3 bozos on the comment section, complaining about their tax dollars. Some people do not understand the concept of taking money to make money. The cities (and therefore the taxpayers) partially funding large projects is an easy concept to understand and therefore get fired up about. When you start talking about rates of return for the public entities, these guys don't want to hear it or don't understand it. It's really frustrating to read their comments.

I live in Portsmouth, and would be more than happy to share my tax dollars on projects that will enhance the quality of life within the city.

Does anybody know a ballpark figure of how many jobs and what kind of jobs this would create for the city?

I own a home in Portsmouth and don't like sharing my tax dollars with the cities projects. The city is horrible at managing money and projects. The VA Sports Hall of Fame, The Renaissance Hotel, and The Ntelos Pavilion all operate at a loss and are sustained by my tax dollars every year. We paid for a million dollar grassy traffic circle which is really a drop off point for the Ntelos Pavilion.

While this APM headquarters thing sounds nice the details aren't here yet. City Council doesn't even know if this involves building any new taxable real estate or if existing space will be used. If it pays off I'm all for it but in the past the city hasn't done so well making deals. Portsmouth still hasn't figured out how to tax the cranes at the new terminal...I wish they would forget how to tax my personal property.

I own a home in Portsmouth and don't like sharing my tax dollars with the cities projects. The city is horrible at managing money and projects. The VA Sports Hall of Fame, The Renaissance Hotel, and The Ntelos Pavilion all operate at a loss and are sustained by my tax dollars every year. We paid for a million dollar grassy traffic circle which is really a drop off point for the Ntelos Pavilion.

While this APM headquarters thing sounds nice the details aren't here yet. City Council doesn't even know if this involves building any new taxable real estate or if existing space will be used. If it pays off I'm all for it but in the past the city hasn't done so well making deals. Portsmouth still hasn't figured out how to tax the cranes at the new terminal...I wish they would forget how to tax my personal property.

Mike,

I agree with you to an extent. However, the fact that the Renaissance and the Sports Hall of Fame aren't making money is no fault of Council. Downtown is a revitalizing area. You can't expect the first couple of City projects in a relatively stagnant downtown area (think Portsmouth downtown 10 years ago) to thrive. They'll take time to become income producers. And I'll be honest, both projects bring a lot to the downtown area, so I don't care that they aren't revenue generators yet. Many people are conditioned to want payoffs immediately, an I'm sorry, that's not going to happen in a revitalizing area.

As far as Ntelos and the parking circle fiasco, I'm with you. Ntelos has been doomed from the start. Bad access, the parking is inadequate, and the view across the river isn't exactly first class. I have no words to express how useless the roundabout has been. I mean, at least stick a flag, statue, or emblem in the middle for pete's sake. It's hideous and serves no purpose.

All I can say is, the City is finally attempting to bring good projects to the City after a long time of doing nothing. Have some patience and I think some of the projects will pay off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

scm, any word on the big news development?

Also, no one posted it, but Sen. Lucas' project was rejected to use city bonds for their project, which was hit or miss for a little while, and was a lot closer than it should have been.

... and Mayor Holley putting his foot in his mouth.

Well, the important thing is the right decision was made, I care not for how close it was. And Mr. Holley is simply another one of these politicians who fail to realize their time has come and gone, a relic of a bygone era....

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the important thing is the right decision was made, I care not for how close it was. And Mr. Holley is simply another one of these politicians who fail to realize their time has come and gone, a relic of a bygone era....

This is one of the reasons I plan on running for Council next time around.

• 3 weeks later...

Lucas Plans to Revive Conference Center Plans

State Sen. Louise Lucas plans to come back to the City Council and ask members again for authorization to use up to $50 million in bonds to build a hotel and conference center at Victory Village.

This farce has gone on long enough, why they're insisting on dragging it through the mud is beyond me. Portsmouth rejected it, and even if it is somehow miraculously approved on try #2, Norfolk will almost certainly reject it. Also suggesting that City Council members who have invested or received campaign contributions do not have a "conflict of interest" is a joke. I wish this project would just die already, it's not a good idea, and will never be, regardless how many people chip in $20, $50 or $100 towards it.

• 1 month later...

Portsmouth investors learn of Lucas' large stake in project

State Sen. Louise Lucas owns all but a small percentage of a multimillion-dollar conference center she wants to build and would be the sole owner of an adjacent headquarters hotel, which could be the most profitable part of the venture.

Lucas bought shares in the conference center for about 2 cents each while her investors paid $1.33 each.

• 3 weeks later...

From the folks that own the building at the corner of High and Effingham:

I hope this email finds you doing well. I wanted to let you know that Andy and I were notified on Friday that Comfort's management team elected to close their Portsmouth operation. We are disappointed with their decision at this time.

As you know, we are committed to raising the quality bar for Portsmouth. We subscribe to the theory that we cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are. Please know that we will continue to do our best to bring quality tenants to Downtown Portsmouth.

I close by expressing our sincere appreciation for all the support you have provided our group during our relationship with the Comfort

concept.

I've been meaning to eat there... I think it was a little too far down High St. from the water. A lot of people are scared to death of Effingham. A new bar/club named Longboards is getting ready to open up around Court St and High St.

I'm confused now, which corner? And what is the project going into the massive vacant space on the other corner of High and Effingham, i saw there's a redevelopment sign in the window but not sure what it is?

I'm confused now, which corner? And what is the project going into the massive vacant space on the other corner of High and Effingham, i saw there's a redevelopment sign in the window but not sure what it is?
The corner that had Comfort in it :P . Same guys own from the old Harry's Pawn all the way up High, and around the corner on Effingham to King. That development is in this link.

Article on Comfort's closing in Porfolio.

If they were to decide on expansion again, Alley thinks he and Chandler would have chosen another Richmond location over Portsmouth. Alley says the city's proximity to downtown tunnel traffic and a lack of walking-distance business may have contributed to the restaurant's situation, but he's not willing to blame the area for the closing.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing exciting but I found some information on some current construction at the corner of Effingham and High St. in Olde Towne. (446 Effingham St.)

Its just a small medical/dental office building, but any new business is good for Portsmouth.

That is a replacement office for Mayor Holly's dental practice (includes his son).