Portsmouth development

vdogg

• 4 weeks later...

The Circle Restaurant Will Close After Dec. 31

The Circle restaurant, a 1950's landmark restaurant in Posrtsmouth will close its doors after New Year's Eve. I hope the building won't be demolished, but I would have to agree with many of the posters in the Pilot article below that the food at the Circle wasn't particularly special. Indifferent might be the right word to describe the food... It was more important as a sort of relic. For this reason alone (and its Virginia Landmark status), the building shouldn't be destroyed. I'd hate to see it replaced by another faceless chain restaurant.

The Virginian-Pilot

• 3 weeks later...

Low budget review -- ate last night at the new Longboards, at the corner of High and Dinwiddie, in the former Eaton Gough's. Advertises itself as an "Hawaian Lounge", and I'd say that is about right. Owned by the same guys that own Fusion 440 next door, it has a menu featuring "plate lunches" -- a staple in Hawaii, with a meat, a scoop of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad (predates Adkins by years). Also decent burger (that's what I had) and salad menu. But I think it is much more about the bar than the food. Nice addition to High Street, but don't go for the food.

Next time, I'll try the new Gosport Tavern and report.

• 3 weeks later...

Low budget review -- ate last night at the new Longboards, at the corner of High and Dinwiddie, in the former Eaton Gough's. Advertises itself as an "Hawaian Lounge", and I'd say that is about right. Owned by the same guys that own Fusion 440 next door, it has a menu featuring "plate lunches" -- a staple in Hawaii, with a meat, a scoop of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad (predates Adkins by years). Also decent burger (that's what I had) and salad menu. But I think it is much more about the bar than the food. Nice addition to High Street, but don't go for the food.

Next time, I'll try the new Gosport Tavern and report.

Yes, a very low budget review indeed, scm, but I can appreciate that! I'm not very good at articulating such things either, so here's my equally low budget review! I must say, the food is at Longboards is awesome! I got the tuna plate lunch during my first visit last weekend. It was absolutely delicious, totally satisfying, and ridiculously inexpensive at $7.50. I plan on telling the world and going back often. I'm too much of a family man these days to have much of an opinion about the bar. I got a Sam Adams that paired quite nicely with the tuna, but I don't suppose that addresses the quality of the bar much. I agree it's a nice addition to High Street, and encourage you to go if you want a fabulous, yet affordable meal in a laid back environment.

Next time, I'll try Still. I may or may not report.

• 1 month later...

Montgomery Square @ High Street

"Portsmouth's newest destination" has started on the southeast corner of High and Effingham. It comprises all of the 700 Block of High, on the southside of the street.

The first building rehabilitated is 725 High, and will be the home of Comfort, a Richmond restaurant -- slated to open, initially for dinner only, in two weeks. It comprises over 38,000 sq. ft. of development, and will have 21 rental residential units above the restaurant.

In August '07, rehab will start on 719 High, which will also feature retail on the first floor, and 16 rental residential units above. In both buildings, units will be 1 and 2 BR, and are targeted to rent for $800 - $1000.

The final piece is the corner building -- and the developer, The Rockville Group, is in discussions with Farm Fresh to open a store similar to their planned Marketplace concept in Harbor Heights. There is some concern on Ron Dennis' part that a store there will cannibalize sales from the FF at Victory Crossing. The developer is willing to entertain the thought of rental concessions should that happen. They are also willing to pass redevelopment tax credits, in the amount of $3M, to FF to offset the $6M in finish out. Nearly 40 lofts are planned for this building. There have also been discussions with Trader Joe's -- the only rub being that TJ's is not a full service grocer, and for that reason, would not serve as broad a market as FF. The drawings I saw also showed a drug store in part of that building, fronting on High.

All in all -- over 125K sq. ft. of mixed use redevelopment. There is also the potential for a 400+ space parking garage behind the site, between King and County streets, half a block off Effingham.

Great news for Portsmouth -- urban living, with a different feel from Granby, and, for now, lower price points. Don't be surprised, however, if the lofts, should they prove successful, go condo in a few years.

I heard a rumor that a boutique bowling alley and new sports bar will be the first floor tenants for the building with lofts above. Construction crews have been on site for the past couple of months.

Edited by mikeas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

link

PORTSMOUTH

For more than 40 years, a Holiday Inn sat on the city's premier piece of riverfront real estate.

This week, in a long-awaited milestone for Portsmouth, excavators began tearing down the aging former hotel, clearing the way for a $158 million mixed-use development that has been championed by city leaders.

"The view that you're going to get once the building is down, I think, is going to open a lot of eyes as to how valuable this development site is for the city," said Kathy Warren, director of development for the Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority.

• 4 weeks later...

I had dinner at Montgomery Grill in Olde Towne tonight and was pretty impressed. The building is really nice inside and it looks like some of the apartments may already be occupied. If you look at the cluster of buildings from Green Street you can see some interesting looking Penthouse areas on the roof. If they actually open up the bowling alley that was planned to go in at the corner of High and Effingham it will a very nice development.

I also found a tapas lounge named Still that is in the basement of an 1800s building at the corner of Court and Glasgow. It is owned by the same people that run Bardo in Ghent and has a similar style menu. Its very well hidden as the entrance is simply a door with a lighted awning on a residential side street. Inside has a very cozy feel with a dark wood bar and exposed brick and fireplaces.

I think Olde Towne is inching at having a better selection of independent restaurants than downtown Norfolk.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Children Museum of Virginia will be closing for 16 months starting on September 7th for a complete renovation and expansion. The museum will temporarily operate out of the Courthouse Galleries as Andalo's Clubhouse. I assume the expansion will involve building a new entrance on High Street. A building was demoed in the 200 Block of High Street about a year and a half ago for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Another new eatery is coming to Old Towne. Expect a new sports lounge in the 500 block of High Street near the intersection with Washington Street. This should nicely complement the bowling alley going in at the corner of High and Effingham.

Woah.. Looks like High St. is screaming across the river at Granby St. saying "I'm the best urban street in HR!" (or is it Atlantic Avenue).. Congrats P-town. I can't wait to try the bowling alley out.

• 2 weeks later...