Portsmouth development

vdogg

I don't know that they are gonna build it. I remember an article a while back about P-town city council holding this up for some reason. I just can't remember what that is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well they would be fools to do this, but maybe the Wal-Mart is taking the place of this that is why the city held it back!!!!!!

Well they would be fools to do this, but maybe the Wal-Mart is taking the place of this that is why the city held it back!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a possibility. I do believe that this Walmart is in the same general location as this project was supposed to be.

Look for P-Town to head in a better direction soon. I was there last week and was shocked to see the new townhouses/condos that surround the Naval Hospital. That area was totally gone a couple of years ago. Now it is full of nice places that I would consider living in... if I liked sitting in tunnels all the time lol.

Let's hope that the area around there (Park View) gets some much needed renovations. It is really a beautiful area that could be another jewel in Portsmouth's potential crown. Also they could do more to work with the city of Norfolk to enhance ferries and open up that area to people who are averse to the AM/PM commutes.

Look for P-Town to head in a better direction soon.  I was there last week and was shocked to see the new townhouses/condos that surround the Naval Hospital.  That area was totally gone a couple of years ago.  Now it is full of nice places that I would consider living in... if I liked sitting in tunnels all the time lol.

Let's hope that the area around there (Park View) gets some much needed renovations.  It is really a beautiful area that could be another jewel in Portsmouth's potential crown.  Also they could do more to work with the city of Norfolk to enhance ferries and open up that area to people who are averse to the AM/PM commutes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. If there ferry service even approached a quarter of the NY/NJ ferry service they could really take a lot of the load off of those tunnels. Speaking of which, do we have a port authority to handle such things like they do in New York?

Yeah. If there ferry service even approached a quarter of the NY/NJ ferry service they could really take a lot of the load off of those tunnels. Speaking of which, do we have a port authority to handle such things like they do in New York?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have Port Police that has same authority as state troopers but I think they let the local PD handle things like that

There is a Virginia Port Authority. I know little more than the fact that it exists. They were involved in some of the urban renewal-era waterfront projects downtown. I do not know what role they play anymore with waterfront and trans-river or trans-harbor projects.

It's a possibility. I do believe that this Walmart is in the same general location as this project was supposed to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the Gas Lamp district was going to be in downtown Portsmouth, south of King Street. At least that's the impression I've been under since the story came out. The WalMart is proposed for the MidCity area.

First those renderings are concepts, not designs. They show what the area COULD possibly look like. I hope a design would incorporate more of Olde Towne's charm and unique design features.

Secondly I dislike the idea of a Wal-Mart supercenter at MidCity. If they offered a more urban-style design without a sea of parking in front I'd reconsider. Yeah prices are low and people in Portsmouth could use that. But this area is surrounded by projects where people have to walk around a lot. Frederick Blvd is a tough highway to cross, and 800-space parking lots aren't fun to cross on foot either.

if Ptown is smart they will continue to ride Norfolk's coat tails and stick to building condo towers and housing projects with retail mixed in.  When you think about it Ptown is just an expansion of Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

P-town has a history and its own "real downtown". I think that the extensions in this area are VA Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk (Suffix). Portsmouth offers a lot of old architchture that even Norfolk falls short of.

Not all ready to put out welcome mat for Portsmouth Wal-Mart

Bobby Issa's Git Go Food Mart on Rodman Avenue is stocked, in part, with items he buys at Wal-Mart. He says the retail giant sells things cheaper than he can get them from wholesalers.

Bobby Issa's Git Go Food Mart on Rodman Avenue is stocked, in part, with items he buys at Wal-Mart. He says the retail giant sells things cheaper than he can get them from wholesalers. MORT FRYMAN/THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT

By MEGHAN HOYER, The Virginian-Pilot

Not all ready to put out welcome mat for Portsmouth Wal-Mart

Bobby Issa's Git Go Food Mart on Rodman Avenue is stocked, in part, with items he buys at Wal-Mart. He says the retail giant sells things cheaper than he can get them from wholesalers.

Bobby Issa's Git Go Food Mart on Rodman Avenue is stocked, in part, with items he buys at Wal-Mart. He says the retail giant sells things cheaper than he can get them from wholesalers. url=http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=86743&ran=173973]Full Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess there are two opinions on this. I have an aunt who is very anti-WalMart. I think that one thing that strikes me as odd is how there is some much attention paid to the small businesses that WalMart puts out of business. Most of these small businesses pay their employees nothing, give no benefits and charge higher prices. If WM was driving out businesses and raising prices, I would see that as deploarble (kind of like certain airlines...). But the prices stay low and for people in that area, it is something they need.

The only reservation about WM that I have is that they tend to make choices for people in rural areas when it comes to music, birth control, etc. They don't have to carry an item if they don't want to. So in the small town where my family was living (Pendleton, OR) they drove K-Mart out of business and the nearest mall with CDs and video games that aren't censored is 60 miles away. That kind of sucks.

But in Portsmouth, I see WM opening as a revival for the city in the amount of tax money and business it will bring in. Unfortunately for Mr. Issa that means his store may go under so he might want to plan now to get out while he can.

I think this is going to have considerable positive impact on Portsmouth. Beyond the additional jobs, it will create a new much needed major source of tax revenue for the city.

The Wal-Mart in Mid-City is certainly a very good development as well. Many of the areas to the east and south of Mid-City are very poor areas. They have, until fairly recently, had to travel a fairly long time to get to a Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Many of these people don't own cars, so that meant HRT, which is not exactly a fun ride for 30 minutes in heat and humidity, nor is waiting for long periods between buses. The Wal-Mart will also provide hundreds of jobs in an area where they are sorely needed, and in an area where many people lack the education or skills to apply for higher quality work. This job can provide them experience and possibly oppurtunities to further themselves. 

As far as disliking Wal-Mart, most people who deride them haven't got a clue. Wal-Mart has been a tremendous boon for low income people and families. It has provided higher quality cheap products than any other discounter before it, and lowered the prices to boot! Compare the quality of something you buy from Wal-Mart today, vs. something you bought from Roses 20 years ago. It is has also pressured the more "acceptable" chains, where those who chide Wal-Mart shop, to keep prices lower and find greater productivity, thus improving the value of even those who dislike Wal-Mart. As for disrupting small mom and pop stores, since most people who shop at Wal-Mart never patronisied these stores anyway, I don't see where that has been a big issue. Wal-Mart has affected smaller grocery store chains like Food Lion, or smaller chain retail stores, but these are not what the anti-Wal-Mart advocates are seeking to protect. More than likely, it reflects some sort of idealist nostalgia than anything bound to reality. The mom and pop stores were not some bastilions of a corporate-welfare culture as someone else pointed out. Even the vaunted arguement of  customer service is exaggerated at best. If Wal-Mart's service were so abhorent, then people wouldn't shop there. We are a captialist society (I use the term very loosely in Quebec), and if you can't compete then you have to close up shop.

======================================================

Finally, the gaz lamp district is in downtown Portsmouth, not near Mid-City. To my understanding the plan was held up because Portsmouth decided to bring in that urban developer, the guy that did a lot of work for Norfolk, to come up with a more comprehensive plan for a much larger area of downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I agree with everything you said in that bit... (even about Wal Mart only due to the fact that it is helping an area that needs it)... but I will say this for Wal Mart----for every job it creates it takes 3 away in the local business community. It's a conglomerate built upon the backs of failed local companies they have stripped away... In MidCity, I doubt that will be the case (few existing businesses)...

Bleh.

I look forward to see the redesign for Portsmouth's downtown!! :) Norfolk's redevelopment was remarkable (yet long...) and hopefully Portsmouth will recreate its success across the water.

While I agree with everything you said in that bit... (even about Wal Mart only due to the fact that it is helping an area that needs it)... but I will say this for Wal Mart----for every job it creates it takes 3 away in the local business community.  It's a conglomerate built upon the backs of failed local companies they have stripped away...  In MidCity, I doubt that will be the case (few existing businesses)...

Bleh.

I look forward to see the redesign for Portsmouth's downtown!!  :)  Norfolk's redevelopment was remarkable (yet long...) and hopefully Portsmouth will recreate its success across the water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just think, 2 towering skylines extending along the coastline. It'll make for some awesome postcards :D .

Just think, 2 towering skylines extending along the coastline. It'll make for some awesome postcards  :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see downtown Portsmouth building an office tower around 16-18 floors along with a condo tower around 27 floors. Once the old city hall is torn down, I can see a couple of mid-sized condo buildings around 10-12 floors in it's place. Finally, I can see another hotel around 12 stories replacing the old holiday inn and if Portsmouth is smart, the would build a mini-town center project with a mixed-use tower around 15-17 floors along with some more residential housing around 5-8 floors in height. I really don't see too many tall buildings here but the skyline would still be very impressive given the population of P-town and if the ever become part of Norfolk, look out!

I can see downtown Portsmouth building an office tower around 16-18 floors along with a condo tower around 27 floors. Once the old city hall is torn down, I can see a couple of mid-sized condo buildings around 10-12 floors in it's place. Finally, I can see another hotel around 12 stories replacing the old holiday inn and if Portsmouth is smart, the would build a mini-town center project with a mixed-use tower around 15-17 floors along with some more residential housing around 5-8 floors in height. I really don't see too many tall buildings here but the skyline would still be very impressive given the population of P-town and if the ever become part of Norfolk, look out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a feeling that someday (perhaps not soon, but within the coming decades) Norfolk and Portsmouth will merge. Even if it doesn't, it'll make for a very impressive skyline!

I like your ideas, though some of the projects you suggested could take a long while to come to fruition. If this latest building boom does indeed last longer than ten years, hopefully it will spill across the Elizabeth River into Portsmouth! :D

I have a feeling that someday (perhaps not soon, but within the coming decades) Norfolk and Portsmouth will merge.  Even if it doesn't, it'll make for a very impressive skyline!

I like your ideas, though some of the projects you suggested could take a long while to come to fruition.  If this latest building boom does indeed last longer than ten years, hopefully it will spill across the Elizabeth River into Portsmouth!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be nice but i still see a problem with P-town officials giving up their power but you never know. Norfolk really needs more land and they are very similar types of cities. I hope they do! Also they will have to go through the state for them to allow it. The population would be pushing towards 400k then and that would be awesome. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...