Portsmouth development

vdogg

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The estimated average rent will be $1,150 for a one-bedroom and $1,450 for a two-bedroom apartment. Community amenities will include a fitness facility and a roof deck lounge that overlooks the marina.

I get that it's waterfront property and everything, but for the same price, I could just stay on the Norfolk side of the Elizabeth River and not have to worry about the tunnel and tolls. I'd take a couple hundred off the price, and market it as ":downtown, (close to) waterfront living on the other side of the river, but for less"...but that's just me though. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There have been numerous articles about a new to Hampton Roads grocery store coming to Portsmouth (Aldi). Anyone know the exact address?

While I don't know the exact address, the Aldi is going in the shopping center on the corner of High St and Tyre Neck. It's the same shopping center in which Kroger used to be (but to my understanding, not the same parcel).

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't know the exact address, the Aldi is going in the shopping center on the corner of High St and Tyre Neck. It's the same shopping center in which Kroger used to be (but to my understanding, not the same parcel).

I drove through the other day and it's going to be next to the CVS. It's a free standing building.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some (possible) good news for Portsmouth. The city wants to bring back Portside which closed up some 20 years ago. It would basically be a smaller version of Waterside. Article in the Pilot:

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/portsmouth-plans-its-own-version-of-waterside-as-norfolk-s/article_3ca66164-726d-597e-a143-96326a3c774e.html

• Like 1

That's a pretty cool development...Olde Towne is an underrated spot, and it's good to see it growing. Hopefully, it'll eventually spark more ferry traffic and maybe bring about the water taxi idea that was suggested a few years ago.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, johnk812 said:

Norfolk will merge with Virginia Beach. 

LOL! That will never happen!

22 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

This response is meant as no offense to you personally, but that idea is terrible. There might be some benefit to Norfolk, but overall, this would be a huge economic burden on the taxpayers of Norfolk. Portsmouth has myraid problems, and they aren't all of their own making (see ERT tolls), and I feel bad for Portsmouth regarding the troubles thay are experiencing.

IMO, if a borough system were to be looked at, it would have to include ALL of the area cities in order to more fairly disberse risk and benefit.

I didn't get offended by this comment...That's what these boards are for. Norfolk make take a hit initially but think about them getting the PMT taxes etc over there. There are many things that Norfolk could benefit that I believe would supersede the bad impact in the beginning. You would also cut back on their power and could be possibly managed better under Norfolk. Then Norfolk could work on tying Light Rail over there to the shipyard and coast guard station. This would also help to get Craney Island moving forward. At least this is my belief...not sure if this would be completely practical. Norfolk and Portsmouth would be the only 2 cities that would even consider a merger. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake hate Norfolk beyond belief

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...