Portsmouth development

vdogg

That is more great economical news! I hope to here more soon! I wish we could get more info on the high rises in Portsmouth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey V-dogg, I work at the Coast Guard base in Portsmouth and as I was driving home today, I noticed something missing and saw something amazing at the same time! What is missing is hundreds of trees, and what is now visible is the terminals at Craney Island! The cranes looked just awesome from the new entrance to the terminals and it allows another view of downtown Norfolk which is going to be awesome when the new buildings come on-line. By the way, this is the same area where they found that body a few weeks ago that has been missing nearly 10 years. I can actually see the skyline on base but only from the parking lot near ISC and it's not as good as coming onto Pinners Point because it can only be seen on a cloudless day. I kinda miss the trees and wildlife though, I haven't seen any deer or foxes in weeks. At least they spared half the trees on that side of the boulevard and the other side is still left in tact. Finally, I wonder what effect it will have on the mosquitos. I swear those blood-suckers are gigantic!

I do hate it when they cut trees down even though I realize sometimes that is the price of progress. I remember when they cut down those trees for TC it almost seemed like a loss of life to me. So many native trees and such were there. I do hope the animals that were there (both Portsmouth and TC) somehow escaped and made new homes elsewhere.

Edited by guynvb

Sounds exciting. The article stated building a Barnes and Noble there but even Norfolk doesn't even have one as of now. But my hats off to Portsmouth and I hope they can get this ambitious plan funded.

Edited by guynvb

• 2 weeks later...

As for the Holiday Inn, it will likely be demolished within the next couple of years. From what I have heard, its replacement is far more likely to be a low-rise building than another high-rise. Having once lived in One Crawford Parkway, across the street, I can assure you that the residents there will raise a great yowl of protest if their views are compromised. There was an interesting proposal depicting several high-rise condos going up near the NTELOS Pavilion. The city hall complex is also ripe for redevelopment.

As for the Holiday Inn, it will likely be demolished within the next couple of years.  From what I have heard, its replacement is far more likely to be a low-rise building than another high-rise.  Having once lived in One Crawford Parkway, across the street, I can assure you that the residents there will raise a great yowl of protest if their views are compromised.  There was an interesting proposal depicting several high-rise condos going up near the NTELOS Pavilion.  The city hall complex is also ripe for redevelopment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well they do have a proposed 6 high rise buildings for Ntelos area but no real renderings have sprouted but we know how things change. How long ago did you leave because people's attitude towards urban development are changing rapidly :thumbsup:

I moved to Washington at the end of 1999, but my brother and father lived on Washington Street in Olde Towne until last year (relocated to Fort Lauderdale). I do think that the general attitude towards Portsmouth in the region has improved lately. There can be no doubt that the city has made great strides. I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of a WalMart, though....

I moved to Washington at the end of 1999, but my brother and father lived on Washington Street in Olde Towne until last year (relocated to Fort Lauderdale).  I do think that the general attitude towards Portsmouth in the region has improved lately.  There can be no doubt that the city has made great strides.  I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of a WalMart, though....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think alot of people here would agree about the Walmart but there really is no shoping for the projects in a walking distance so it might be good for them. I wish it would be a more urban Walmart though.

As for the Holiday Inn, it will likely be demolished within the next couple of years.  From what I have heard, its replacement is far more likely to be a low-rise building than another high-rise.  Having once lived in One Crawford Parkway, across the street, I can assure you that the residents there will raise a great yowl of protest if their views are compromised.  There was an interesting proposal depicting several high-rise condos going up near the NTELOS Pavilion.  The city hall complex is also ripe for redevelopment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A highrise was indeed proposed for that area in a closed session city council meeting but it is in the very preliminary stages of development. It was proposed the same day that Gindroz released his Portsmouth vision and is on one of the 6 highrise sites depicted.

I moved to Washington at the end of 1999, but my brother and father lived on Washington Street in Olde Towne until last year (relocated to Fort Lauderdale).  I do think that the general attitude towards Portsmouth in the region has improved lately.  There can be no doubt that the city has made great strides.  I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of a WalMart, though....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The areas attitude as a whole has changed greatly since '99 :) (I moved here in '97).

Urban development is far more welcome, even in areas where is wasn't before. I guess people are just getting tired of the sprawl.

The areas attitude as a whole has changed greatly since '99  :)  (I moved here in '97).

Urban development is far more welcome, even in areas where is wasn't before. I guess people are just getting tired of the sprawl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats good to know. I'm not so sick of the sprawl as much as ugly, bland strip malls with huge parking lots. Parking garages just make so much more sense and add to the urbanity of an area, making it more attractive IMO.

Thats not exactly great news, because that adds up to only 60,000 annually and usually new things attract a lot of people, then the attendence falls once the newness is over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't call it bad news either. It's only the first quarter and sometimes it takes a while for things to catch on. They are still very much within striking distance of their goal. It is far too early to count them out yet.