Portsmouth development

vdogg

• 3 weeks later...

what kills me about fort norfolk is there really is no true plan for it. Just the harbors edge right now. I wish for sure they could show us something for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I guess you haven't seen that 50-some page PDF by the ULI (Urban land institute) on Fort Norfolk, or seen the renderings of it completed, haha. That PDF is buried somewhere here....

Well I guess you haven't seen that 50-some page PDF by the ULI (Urban land institute) on Fort Norfolk, or seen the renderings of it completed, haha. That PDF is buried somewhere here....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. Here's the link to the Norfolk Development website. It has maps and plans for Fort Norfolk.

Fort Norfolk Plan

• 3 weeks later...

City considers traffic circle gateway as first step towards vision

:)

The proposed single-lane roundabout at the south end of downtown would eliminate several roads in that area. It would feed a new street that would run along the waterfront past the amphitheater to the north pier, one of the two sites being considered for development.

Urban design consultant Ray Gindroz, whose company studied downtown earlier this year, suggested that one or two narrow condominium towers be built on that property.

City considers traffic circle gateway as first step towards vision

:)

The proposed single-lane roundabout at the south end of downtown would eliminate several roads in that area. It would feed a new street that would run along the waterfront past the amphitheater to the north pier, one of the two sites being considered for development.

Urban design consultant Ray Gindroz, whose company studied downtown earlier this year, suggested that one or two narrow condominium towers be built on that property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent! :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see this moving into action! If I remember the area for the proposed circle correctly, it is well-suited to a traffic circle. Depending on how many entrances there will end up being into the circle, and how they are spaced, room for a second lane (or at least a very wide single lane to allow passing/turning) might be worth consideration. But we'll leave all that for the engineers to decide. It's funny how traffic circles were so popular during the 1950s & 60s, then we decided they were a bad idea, and now they've become popular again. I think in many circumstances they're a good means of managing intersections and regulating speeds.

As for the condos, great! Does anyone know if a little market on High Street (sorry I don't know the name) is still open? An influx of population down there will demand groceries.

[url=http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=92124&ran=146353]City

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

portvisionbig.gif

Just in case anybody needs a refresher the 2 towers at the top of this pic ore the condo towers they are gonna be accepting proposals for over the next few months (they apparently already have many developers interested in those two parcels). If the finished product looks anything like the towers in that rendering this will be a great boost for Portsmouths image. :)

Looks great to me. They need to hurry up and get the Holiday Inn ground to dust....what a waste of riverfront property. Speaking of wasted riverfront property. what has come of the idea to relocate the unfortunate civic center (including a jail with river views) to Mid City? The property could certainly be put to better use.

Edited by tombarnes

Looks great to me.  They need to hurry up and get the Holiday Inn ground to dust....what a waste of riverfront property.  Speaking of wasted riverfront property. what has come of the idea to relocate the unfortunate civic center (including a jail with river views) tro Mid City?  The property could certainly be put to better use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I've long thought that jail was a waste of PRIME downtown waterfront real estate! A move to Mid-City has long been rumored, but with Wal-Mart taking the west side of Frederick Blvd and the city pursuing commercial tenants on the east side, might Portsmouth have other plans for relocating the government buildings?

Just in case anybody needs a refresher the 2 towers at the top of this pic ore the condo towers they are gonna be accepting proposals for over the next few months (they apparently already have many developers interested in those two parcels). If the finished product looks anything like the towers in that rendering this will be a great boost for Portsmouths image. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Portsmouth has the tallest apartment tower in the are now... maybe they are trying to hold on to that distinction.

• 1 month later...