Portsmouth development

vdogg

Former School Gets New Life

The former St. Paul's School at the corner of Washington and London Streets is finally nearing the end of its long restoration process. The "bell tower" (there was never a bell) is also being restored. Having lived across the street at 412 Washington, I am sure the residents of the area are glad to see this project nearing an end. What a great asset for downtown Portsmouth! From the Virginian Pilot .

Image from Hamptonroads.com

Edited by tombarnes

Former School Gets New Life

The former St. Paul's School at the corner of Washington and London Streets is finally nearing the end of its long restoration process. The "bell tower" (there was never a bell) is also being restored. Having lived across the street at 412 Washington, I am sure the residents of the area are glad to see this project nearing an end. What a great asset for downtown Portsmouth! From the Virginian Pilot .

Image from Hamptonroads.com

That's AWESOME! My grandmother went to school there in the 1940s. She's been very excited about the restoration!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also keep in mind that this site is directly across from Belharbour station at SoNo, the proposed Chesapeake condo tower. It is feared that if the trash deal goes through, that tower will be nixed due to its unacceptable location. Who wants to open their window and view a vast collection of trash and have to deal with all the smell that entails to boot. This area could become a corridor that compliments both Norfolk and P-towns skyline and truly puts us on the map. I can't wait to see renderings. :shades:

Also keep in mind that this site is directly across from Belharbour station at SoNo, the proposed Chesapeake condo tower. It is feared that if the trash deal goes through, that tower will be nixed due to its unacceptable location. Who wants to open their window and view a vast collection of trash and have to deal with all the smell that entails to boot. This area could become a corridor that compliments both Norfolk and P-towns skyline and truly puts us on the map. I can't wait to see renderings. :shades:

Man I can't wait to see a rendering either! :yahoo: I can't believe how much stuff is going on in this area!

Wow, this will be awesome if it goes through. It'd be interesting to see this project become bussom buddies with the SoNo project as there downtown is with Norfolk's DT.

This would be great for both Ches. and Portsmouth. I think they would help each other bolster a better urban construction for there waterfronts!

This really is a no-brainer. Set aside the fact that they stated the new development would bring MORE money, but even if it brought the exact same amount, which would you rather have? High rises and architectural wonderment, or a trashheap? :lol:

I can envision, some day in the not-too-distant future, a time when DT Norfolk/Portsmouth and SoNo Chesapeake will become a recognized, diverse, and utterly impressive skyline across all three city lines. It's projects like this that will make that a given in the future--I hope Portsmouth doesn't let this opportunity slip by.

This really is a no-brainer. Set aside the fact that they stated the new development would bring MORE money, but even if it brought the exact same amount, which would you rather have? High rises and architectural wonderment, or a trashheap? :lol:

I can envision, some day in the not-too-distant future, a time when DT Norfolk/Portsmouth and SoNo Chesapeake will become a recognized, diverse, and utterly impressive skyline across all three city lines. It's projects like this that will make that a given in the future--I hope Portsmouth doesn't let this opportunity slip by.

This type development will help the entire region. These types of development will help curb super sprawl. I just hope they try to complement DT Norfolk with the type of development planned. Hopefully it will blend in well.

Portsmouth and SoNo development

I don't know if this article was already posted up here, but here is a article i found that is about two months old, about the development. At least i think this is the right article for this development!! :blink:

Actually yeah, this was already posted in the Chesapeake development thread. This is the project that will sit on the Chesapeake side. The one I referenced above will be a mirror development on the Portsmouth side by the same company.

• 4 weeks later...