Big Boxes Of Independence & More

DigitalSky

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bi-Lo in the Independence Square shopping center just recently closed for good and now sits empty. This is the shopping center with Best Buy off of Independence Blvd. I hope something good fills it's place quickly.

Wow. That's kinda sad, the residents of Village Lake don't have a grocery store they can walk to anymore now.

That shopping center will eventually be changed dramatically by the Village Lake - Harris connector. I'm not sure exactly where BiLo sits in there, but depending on how far west it is, it may have been slated for eventual demo anyway.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/e6lkj...VillageLake.pdf

I completely forgot about this happening!

That shopping center will eventually be changed dramatically by the Village Lake - Harris connector. I'm not sure exactly where BiLo sits in there, but depending on how far west it is, it may have been slated for eventual demo anyway.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/e6lkj...VillageLake.pdf

Yes, I saw that, but at the rate that they are expanding Independence Blvd. for the bus lane or light rail that shopping center isn't going anywhere for a long time.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really? No pictures yet of Amity Gardens? I'll post some soon...

Well I drive this every day and they've finally demo'd the giant warehouse which used to do blacklight mini-golf and a haunted house type thing at Halloween. Harbor Freight has moved down the road to the Margaret Wallace shopping center where Bi-Lo used to be.

I'm glad to see progress here...

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I will gladly avoid Walmart, but the city should have never approve that location and for Walmart engineers to say that traffic will not be affect is insane. I can imagine drivers leaving Walmart dotting across all four lanes of traffic just to get on Albemarle and rear end crashes in Independence right lane for people trying to get into the Walmart parking lot. Nancy Carter got what she wanted, now the city has to deal with it!

The Walmart site is the former Amity Gardens Shopping Center, which immediately abuts the Coliseum Shopping Center. I can only imagine that these two large shopping centers at their peak occupancy generated significant traffic.

I'm thankful this is a redevelopment of an existing commercial property. I would have much preferred Walmart redeveloping their Eastway location, but if they had to move elsewhere, I'm glad it was to a non-residential, brownfield/grayfield property within East Charlotte, instead of a residential or greenfield property.

I also believe the redevelopment of Coliseum Shopping Center is now more likely. And according to the Observer article, adjacent redevelopment will offer an opportunity to extend Walmart's new service/frontage road from Pierson Drive to Eastway/Wendover, providing even more access.

• 6 months later...

So, it appears like the TJ Maxx, Compare Foods, and McDonalds at the Idlewild intersection are leaving soon (if they're not already gone). Looks like that leaves that Bojangles and the bank next to it as the last stores at this intersection. In other news, looks like the Walmart at Amity Gardens is close to being done, but there's still no ETA on its grand opening.

^Residents may walk to that Compare Foods today, but an approved rezoning (2011-017) on the City's website shows all of the adjacent apartments (Castlewood/Silver Oak?) behind Compare Foods today, as being redeveloped into drive-thru commercial (relocated businesses from Independence?) and new apartments.

http://ww.charmeck.o...Site%20Plan.PDF

^Plus, Best Buy closed at Village Lake, and the strip commercial around Sardis Road North has major vacancies. Yet neither of these properties are even within the State's pending project zone. Perhaps, the bigger challenges facing this corridor are how people now shop and/or the health of the surrounding market.

You know Dubone.....Just when I was wishing that this website had a "like" button.....I found it and "liked" your post LOL! I dont want to stray off topic but, when was this added in? I just noticed it!

I do agree though, retail needs to be removed off of independence and integrated with the neighborhoods on central or on monroe, or other roads. Independence should not have retail on it from uptown to 485 so that it can be a true expressway.

I think a lot of the shopping centers, starting with shopping centers south of Village Lake, won't have too much of a hard time adjusting when it comes time to convert Independence to an expressway. If I'm remembering correctly, about half of the Village Lake shopping center will be demolished to make way for an extension for East W.T. Harris to connect with Village Lake Dr., and a CATS Park and Ride Station. The other half will still have access from the new W.T. Harris, and pedestrians can still cross from the other side of Independence through the new underpass. Likewise, The Sardis shopping center will still have access from Sardis road, and the shopping centers in Matthews will have access from the various back and main roads, like Sam Newell, Windsor Square Drive, and the newly created Independence Pointe Parkway.

And on the topic of shopping centers in Matthews, Windsor Square seems to be about ready for the new J.C. Penney that's suppose to open sometime this year. Overall, retail along Independence in Matthews seems to be strong at the momemt. Let's just hope it maintains that momentum even after the convergence (which likely won't happen for another ten years).

Yup, looks like the new Walmart will open on the 25th, next week, according to http://obswhatsinsto...ing-end-of.html. Also, if you look at the Eastway store's page on Walmart's store locator, site to store isn't available until the 25th. I do wonder if they will be giving away free gift cards on grand opening day.

Archived