CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

I'm with you, GvilleSC. I like the idea of the 30-story building a lot, but I am not sure the DPC will allow it. From what I recall about Phase III, this building would back up to Academy Street. I am not sure where on Academy it would be, but it's debatable whether it would still be considered "West End." In a perfect world, the 30-story tower would be located downtown, perhaps at Main and Broad Streets or in one of the surface parking lots near East North and Spring Streets.

Does anyone think a 30-story tower at Phase III would look out of place? It seems that it would be far removed from the other tall buildings downtown. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I would hate for it to stick out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, 30 stories would be great along North Main or even toward Bi-Lo Center / Church St., but would seem kind of out of place in West End. I hope this doesn't happen. West End should improve on and retain it's distinct character.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^I'm going to go the other way here and say I hope it does happen. Please approve this DPC if it's true. I don't care if it looks out of place or not anymore. Just build it already. It's been soo long since we've had a skyscraper built and I just want to see one get built already. I don't care where downtown it's located. Besides this building wouldn't even be in the "West End Historic District," if it got built, it would be in the CBD. Same goes with the Camperdown Condos and the Rhett St. 8-story condo building.

Edited by g-man430

I'd say since it wouldn't be right on Main or Augusta, it wouldn't really be out of place. I think it'd be great to see some height like that, and the location isn't bad at all. Many of the old buildings in this area are going to be torn down eventually. If there's one tower nearby, there could very well be more in the vicinity as the area develops. I would hope the DPC is more concerned with the main walking routes retaining their historical appearance, than the areas less traveled by visitors and such. We need to allow the area to function as a city and not just a nice place to look at and visit.

I'd say since it wouldn't be right on Main or Augusta, it wouldn't really be out of place. I think it'd be great to see some height like that, and the location isn't bad at all. Many of the old buildings in this area are going to be torn down eventually. If there's one tower nearby, there could very well be more in the vicinity as the area develops. I would hope the DPC is more concerned with the main walking routes retaining their historical appearance, than the areas less traveled by visitors and such. We need to allow the area to function as a city and not just a nice place to look at and visit.

I agree, and would add that if we truly want to see downtown expand, a development like RiverPlace is the perfect method to achieve such a goal. Having a large mixed-use tower a short block off of Main Street, near the Reedy River would provide an excellent source of pedestrian traffic throughout the day and night, giving aid to the development and growth of shops along River Street, Broad Street, and in the West End.

Edited by Skyliner

Agreed. And I don't have any problem with a 30 story tower there, or anywhere DT. Ideally it would be with the N. Main crowd, as there is already some pretty good height there, and it would really add a new level, but anywhere works for me. Unfortunately, I am extrememly doubtful that the all knowing DPC will allow this one.

erm, did your source give you any clue as to the design, type of roofline, height, etc?

Edited by distortedlogic

Only 3 out of 27 condo units are left for sale now on the Terrace at Riverplace. Condo sales seem to be really doing well downtown. I don't know why the Camperdown Condos and the Pinnacle on Main had so much trouble selling them, while the Peacock Hotel and Spa and the Terrace at Riverplace didn't. Photo gallery of Terrace at Riverplace construction: http://www.terraceatriverplace.com/photos.asp

High Cotton is officially opening on March 5th.....that's only a little over two weeks away. I think this is going to be one spectacular place. If you've noticed, now that construction is wrapping up, they have completely covered up the windows.....guess they don't want any of us UP'ers giving sneak previews with our cameras. :lol:

http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/hi...reenville/blog/

High Cotton is officially opening on March 5th.....that's only a little over two weeks away. I think this is going to be one spectacular place. If you've noticed, now that construction is wrapping up, they have completely covered up the windows.....guess they don't want any of us UP'ers giving sneak previews with our cameras. :lol:

http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/hi...reenville/blog/

great! This is going to provide an even nicer experience walking into the West End. You'll have a nice view of people dining as you cross the bridge over the Reedy on Main. :shades:

Edited by GvilleSC

Only 3 out of 27 condo units are left for sale now on the Terrace at Riverplace. Condo sales seem to be really doing well downtown. I don't know why the Camperdown Condos and the Pinnacle on Main had so much trouble selling them, while the Peacock Hotel and Spa and the Terrace at Riverplace didn't. Photo gallery of Terrace at Riverplace construction: http://www.terraceatriverplace.com/photos.asp

I think that the Camperdown was hindered by location and people not believing that it would actually happen - did people that put deposits down ever get a refund? :cry:

Pinnacle had wretched floorplans. Have you taken a look at the floorplans on their website? :sick:

The Terrace is a lovely building in a good location with great floor plans - and it got built! :thumbsup:

The Peacock...rather 98 East McBee doesn't have any floorplans. They're selling vanilla shells. I have to wonder what will happen if the Peacock fails after opening and someone like Ramada Inn takes over. Do you want to live on top of the Ramada Inn? I'm sure it would be a pretty sweet Ramada Inn.

I think that the Camperdown was hindered by location and people not believing that it would actually happen - did people that put deposits down ever get a refund? :cry:

Pinnacle had wretched floorplans. Have you taken a look at the floorplans on their website? :sick:

The Terrace is a lovely building in a good location with great floor plans - and it got built! :thumbsup:

The Peacock...rather 98 East McBee doesn't have any floorplans. They're selling vanilla shells. I have to wonder what will happen if the Peacock fails after opening and someone like Ramada Inn takes over. Do you want to live on top of the Ramada Inn? I'm sure it would be a pretty sweet Ramada Inn.

A high end hotel would never be flagged as a Ramada Inn. I thought the Pinnacle units were shells also.

No one with a brain would put down a deposit on a to-be-built unit unless it was put in an escrow account, so no one should have lost a cent on Camperdown except the developers.

No one with a brain would put down a deposit on a to-be-built unit unless it was put in an escrow account, so no one should have lost a cent on Camperdown except the developers.

Exactly. I have to wonder who was doing the pre-sales... it shouldn't have been a real estate salesman, as that is a really good way to permenantly lose your license.

I didn't realize that Pinnacle units were shells - that's actually reassuring, as the floor plans were so screwy.

Edited by Mr. Downtown

^^^The Camperdown Condos is "technically" not dead, because SouthCorp Inc., who is building the condos said in an article that the Greenville Journal did about the Camperdown a few months ago that they were going to renew a lease for it to get built. When that happens and if it happens remains to be seen.

^^^The Camperdown Condos is "technically" not dead, because SouthCorp Inc., who is building the condos said in an article that the Greenville Journal did about the Camperdown a few months ago that they were going to renew a lease for it to get built. When that happens and if it happens remains to be seen.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

If they do get the new lease, I wonder if they will change the price points and/or market it differently? An auction seems like something they would consider. Isn't that one of the reasons the RiverPlace condos have done so well?