CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

...You know, none of the other buildings had functions after the Terrace; they're all tentative...

Even though the next three buildings in Phase II have yet to be "defined," I had thought the next two small buildings were going to be residential buildings like 155 RiverPlace and RiverHouse (the ones between the Office Building and the Hampton Inn) and the 3rd would be another office building? See the site plan shown in the 3rd slide HERE.

BTW: Anyone seen the Construction Photos of the Terrace?

Edited by RestedTraveler

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the next three buildings in Phase II have yet to be "defined," I had thought the next two small buildings were going to be residential buildings like 155 RiverPlace and RiverHouse (the ones between the Office Building and the Hampton Inn) and the 3rd would be another office building? See the site plan shown in the 3rd slide HERE.

BTW: Anyone seen the Construction Photos of the Terrace?

Back when I went with my dad a few years ago to the info session for the 155 Riverplace Auction there were defined uses for those buildings then. We were told that the building that looks like a small Riverhouse would be condos, the only that looks like a big 155 Riverplace would be apartments and that the one that looks kinda like the Riverplace office building wouold be mixed use, office & retail and maybe some residential.

And even back then they talked about the possibilities of a grocery store and or cinema.

Edited by btoy

Back when I went with my dad a few years ago to the info session for the 155 Riverplace Auction there were defined uses for those buildings then. We were told that the building that looks like a small Riverhouse would be condos, the only that looks like a big 155 Riverplace would be apartments and that the one that looks kinda like the Riverplace office building wouold be mixed use, office & retail and maybe some residential.

And even back then they talked about the possibilities of a grocery store and or cinema.

I'm still holding out hope for a cinema in Phase III. In my mind that would be the perfect icing on the cake.

Maybe once phase 3 gets built out there will be a renewed interest in the area that the Camperdown was going to sit on.

And maybe, they'll plan the building for the Camperdown site to be taller than Riverplace's tower to promote visibility from Main Street. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Some promising news: I was talking with a guy the other day who works for the company who is designing the Riverplace buildings (don't remember the name of the company). He confirmed they are currently working on the remaining 4 buildings (which would include Phase III). He did not give details about when/how big, but said they are working on using Phil Hughes' vision for riverplace, while trying to make sure it can be profitable. He seemed excited about the rest of the project.

With the city having the money now for the other garage, maybe this will progress pretty soon :thumbsup:

Some promising news: I was talking with a guy the other day who works for the company who is designing the Riverplace buildings (don't remember the name of the company). He confirmed they are currently working on the remaining 4 buildings (which would include Phase III). He did not give details about when/how big, but said they are working on using Phil Hughes' vision for riverplace, while trying to make sure it can be profitable. He seemed excited about the rest of the project.

With the city having the money now for the other garage, maybe this will progress pretty soon :thumbsup:

This is encouraging. One would think that they would at least have to complete Phase II, whether they're ever able to begin Phase III or not. RiverPlace looks great, but it just looks...incomplete...after you get to the Terrace. If it extended all the way to River Street, it wouldn't seem so incomplete.

• 4 weeks later...

i've been working on that thing with them for months now and have really come to despise it, i think its neat but i dont think anybody is going to know what it is...

There's a theory in marketing that the best marketing pieces are those that don't quite make sense when you first look at them. That way, when a viewer finally puts the pieces together, it makes a much more memorable impression.

There's a theory in marketing that the best marketing pieces are those that don't quite make sense when you first look at them. That way, when a viewer finally puts the pieces together, it makes a much more memorable impression.

it makes perfect sense if you know the bounce agency and there logo, but the general public will have know idea and probably have know idea who or what the bounce agency is....It's not the Nike and their swoosh. But these are just my personal opinions.

I find it odd that my grandfather started that business as Leslie Advertising and here i am years later working on this sign...just kind of weird to me.

• 1 month later...

Greenville OKs another $1 million for RiverPlace...cost overruns. Would be nice if they'd approve funding to finish the garage so the rest of Phase II could be built out.

There is also an article on Greenvilleonline.com about the completion of the Terrace at Riverplace. Businesses are moving in and the condos will begin to be moved into starting in October. All 27 units are sold and people as far away as Florida and California are making the move.

Here's to another 27 units of residential space in downtown :alc:

Now, we should begin to see construction on the "Chime" between the Hampton Inn and the Terrace. It'd be nice to see building construction, too. This is the first time the Riverplace land has not seen construction since the beginning of the project.

Hopefully construction will begin very soon on the new mixed-use building at Broad and Main (City Hall Plaza site). That would help fill in for the slow down of pace at RiverPlace until it kicks back into high gear. I am becoming more disappointed than ever that certain quality infill projects are taking so long - in many cases being abandoned, put on indefinite hold, or completely rejected by the DPC. Don't get me wrong, I am loving our high quality life here and do see the many places being built all over, but there are things that need to be fixed in order for our downtown to fully meet its potential. We need more high profile corporations downtown. We need more residential units, and particularly more affordable high density living options downtown. We need to capitalize on this region's international strength by creating the most unique development this city has ever seen - one that would compliment all aspects of life in downtown, but would immediately place our city above all others in the Southeast on a global level. We have the tools, the strength, and the influence to make this happen and I believe that it would catapult our downtown to a level nobody has ever imagined possible here.

Edited by Skyliner

It certainly is encouraging to read in the TBA of this week's Journal that the rest of Phase II will be going before the DPC for approval soon. I can't wait for the rest of Phase II to get underway and for the first two phases to be complete all the way to River Street, but I'm still curious as to what surprises Phase III may hold for us.