CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That second bridge would be nice as well, but I suspect that would cost more than $1.9M to construct something as nice as what appears to be in the rendering.

The chime would be one possibility, yes. I have no idea when construction of that was supposed to begin. I would hope to see it constructed before I move away...but as long as it has taken me to move so far, seeing it constructed could be a safe bet. :P

One thought that came to me whilst updating another thread - that darned fountain hasn't been 100% operational yet - perhaps the $1.9 is to cover cost overruns and repairs for it? ;)

I do know that the Bells for the carillion arrived about 2 weeks ago and are in storage at Riverplace. The square grass area above the fountain is where this will be constructed. However the structure to house the bells is larger than the space it is to occupy(or so I've been told), so that is probably the hold up.

The fountian is running correctly for the moment. The "interactive" part of the fountian is currently roped off for two reasons. 1) it was closed for the winter. If you walked past it during the cold weather you no doubt saw all of the ice that accumulates in it. 2) Before it is opened back up Genco or us (the Falls Park crew) have to balance the ph and chlorine levels. I suspect it won't open back up until late April. But with Artisphere coming up it may be sooner.

The Bridge to the Peace Center would be great. I don't have any details about when or how much. It would be great for us as far as accessing the Peace Center goes. If any of you have ever been in the park and seen our little red Toro service carts driving around you know this is how we get around the park and the west end. The bridge would help to keep us off of the main roads.

Thanks for the update Travo, I was beginning to think that nothing was going to come of the Carillon!

The bells that you're curious about are going to be the centerpiece of Riverplace. A design competition was held like two years ago (or was is last year?) for the structure to hold the bells. It will be at the top of the fountain between the Hampton Inn and the Terrace at Riverplace. A picture of the planned structure should be around here somewhere....

Who are the asshats we have to thank for declaring that design the winner? :rolleyes:

I don't remember exactly who was on the panel, but I seem to recall it included either Bob or Phil Hughes and some people from city government among others. I seriously don't remember though - I think it was mentioned somewhere back in this thread.

• 3 months later...

:yahoo: More art studios are coming to Riverplace!!!

The overwhelming success of Arts Crossing, has led to the creation of artists space in the ground floor of the Terrace at Riverplace! It will tentatively be called: "Riverplace Studios at Art Crossing". It will open on Monday for the first time and will consists of a tear drop shaped shared entrance and gallery space (2500 sq ft) and each of the 7 artists will have 200 sq ft of working space. Two photographers, four painters of various styles, and a sculptor will make up the first occupants of the space! A sign will be erected shortly.

This is from the Greenville Journal.

• 1 month later...

I'm really excited about another hotel at Riverplace. Not only will increase in tourism produce demand for more rooms, but also the downtown recruiter's results should cause greater business traveling for downtown...

The concentration of hotels in the immediate area is going to help solidify this as the center of all downtown activity.

There's the Westin Poinsett at the top, the new Hampton Inn and Suites @ Riverplace, the Courtyard under construction on Broad Street, and a possible additional hotel at Riverplace. Other developments include the rumored indoor putt-putt facility on Camperdown across from Riverplace, the Chicora condos on Rhett Street, the green monster development at Main & River Streets, and the other buildings of phases two and three of Riverplace. Not to mention that all this activity is intersected by the Reedy River Greenway...

2786886556_549055060b.jpg

Edited by GvilleSC

• 5 months later...

I was downtown last night for a birthday gathering in the West End and parked on Main between RiverPlace (Michelin on Main store) and Spill the Beans. It's the first time I really noticed Townes Plaza; it's a neat small gathering spot and a nice touch for the building's presence along Main. I never noticed the Greenville "G" symbol on the manhole covers either; I thought that was neat. It really is the small details that go a long way into making a good impression.