CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have now marked of an area with two concentric circles (about where the backhoe is in the above pictures) that looks like it's going to be some sort of fountain or water feature or something. Other than that, not much has changed since the last pictures. But now I'm interested in what they're putting at the bottom of the steps.

Maybe there is going to be a memorial to the structures that once stood in that same location? :rofl:

Seriously, when looking at those photos and realizing where those buildings stood (roughly starting where the backhoe/excavator is pictured and continuing up to the street), there is no way that the park and pathway could have continued on along the river with those buildings there. Whatever the price, it was worth it to open that riverwalk up and to provide street access down to it from above. :thumbsup: I know there are very likely some opposite opinions out there and I respect those, but this is mine. :thumbsup:

You can visit the official Hampton Inn and Suites RiverPlace website by clicking the link below. This is one of the most well-designed Hampton Inns, with a spectacular setting along the Reedy River among several great new Southern urbanistic buildings, and the World-class Peace Center for the Performing Arts across the footbridge. What more could anyone ask for? :D

http://www.hamptoninnandsuitesgreenville.com/

That is exactly what I had thought upon first seeing the renderings from the website. I really LOVE the view of the West End from areas near the Water System building and Hampton Ave. :shades: Now just imagine the University Ridge vista looking similar with new developments covering it. A relocation of the County Government offices (County Square) to a new tower in the CBD would allow nearly the entire ridge to experience a positive change.

That is exactly what I had thought upon first seeing the renderings from the website. I really LOVE the view of the West End from areas near the Water System building and Hampton Ave. :shades: Now just imagine the University Ridge vista looking similar with new developments covering it. A relocation of the County Government offices (County Square) to a new tower in the CBD would allow nearly the entire ridge to experience a positive change.

What are the chances of that happening? I hope they will at least consider such a move in the future!

Hmm, Maybe the County would move to Pleasantburg, which is experiencing LOTS of losses in occupied space. BUT that'd be quite a ways for people who work downtown. SO, then again, maybe not for that. :)

Just think of the revitilization spill over that would occur. All of the neighborhoods in the immediate area that the city is spending money on, this would help a great deal and ensure long term success for the neighborhoods! I can already see Greenville's second Riverplace, but mainly residential sitting atop the hill... This would become a very dense area too, especially with the new development diagonally across Church St. And there'd be a Bilo right there for the residents. PERFECT! BYE BYE COUNTY GOV'T!!! Leave Already :D .

Ok, everyone run for County Council in your district. We'll pull a Christian Exodus on them and take over for the sole purpose of moving the offices!

Edited by GvilleSC

Actually, the more I think about it, why can't County Government Offices, Residential, and Retail all exist in the same location along Univeristy Ridge?

I could definitely see a RiverPlace type development going there, complete with a large footprint midrise County Office building sitting atop of a parking garage next to the Church Street side. That's all the County would need, isn't it? The complex as it is on University Ridge could easily fit into such a mid-rise, I'd think. Or, do they need to have room to expand?

Well, at any ratet, from that building to the south/west on along University Ridge between that building and Howe Street, there could be 2-3 more mid-rise buildings with residential units on top and retail space down below. Perhaps another public parking garage underneath it all. All of this would be overlooking Falls Park and the Downtown Skyline.

Actually, the more I think about it, why can't County Government Offices, Residential, and Retail all exist in the same location along Univeristy Ridge?

I could definitely see a RiverPlace type development going there, complete with a large footprint midrise County Office building sitting atop of a parking garage next to the Church Street side. That's all the County would need, isn't it? The complex as it is on University Ridge could easily fit into such a mid-rise, I'd think. Or, do they need to have room to expand?

Well, at any ratet, from that building to the south/west on along University Ridge between that building and Howe Street, there could be 2-3 more mid-rise buildings with residential units on top and retail space down below. Perhaps another public parking garage underneath it all. All of this would be overlooking Falls Park and the Downtown Skyline.

You know that is the same idea I had. There is plenty of room, and I do mean plenty of room, for anything they would need.

While I would love to see this as much as anyone, you have to be realistic.

The County Council will only do it if it is financially beneficial to do so. As a group, they have no vision, no understanding of the benefits of urban development (over suburban development) and they hate the city already.

Only when a developer can justify paying a very large sum for the tract, or they agree to replace the building in exchange for the land or the remainder of the land, would this have even a slim chance IMO.

This will likely happen only when and if the Haynie/Sirrine and West End areas COMPLETELY revive.

Even then, I can see those nitwits saying that being able to park and walk right into the department they want is worth more than what a developer will pay them.

What MIGHT be more likely is that outparcels along the street frontage are sold off, with the County holding on to there building and the majority of the parking.

As unattractive as County Square is... it is pretty impressive in terms of being a successful reuse of an abandoned mall. It has served as an example on the national level of how to resuse an obsolete mall.

While not disagreeing with you on the reuse aspect of County Square, I have often heard people joke that it is tough for our county government to have vision when they all work in a building with no windows.