CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

No one has brought up what the article stated about the main fountain's size....as large as it will be, it's classed as a "pool" and the water chemical balance will have to be maintained. On one hand, I find this rather neat....imagine a warm summer evening late, you and your other half have been to dinner and decide to fountain jump....could be romantic and kinda fun. On the other hand....imagine being there on a Sunday afternoon and some mom from who knows where has here DIAPERED kid in the fountain.....ewww.

This fountain is an area that's for everyone, to bring people from all walks of life together. I bet you it will definitely accomplish that goal! :thumbsup:

As a slight aside, the Children's Garden originally had a 'water feature' planned for the middle of the garden, but it was discovered that the water feature would also be classified as a pool. Potential maintenance/water treatment costs completely blew the original budget ($15k/year?), so expect some type of statue/sculpture to be placed there.

Just thinking out loud, but this may have played a role in canceling the Main Street/Riverplace fountain.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a slight aside, the Children's Garden originally had a 'water feature' planned for the middle of the garden, but it was discovered that the water feature would also be classified as a pool. Potential maintenance/water treatment costs completely blew the original budget ($15k/year?), so expect some type of statue/sculpture to be placed there.

Just thinking out loud, but this may have played a role in canceling the Main Street/Riverplace fountain.

That is what I was thinking also. The Riverplace fountain will be maintained with money from regime fees from the businesses and residents (Condo owners pay one monthly fee for their building and another yearly fee for the entire complex). Whereas, the fountain next to the Main St. would have been the city's responsibility. I think the ongoing costs would have been too much.

Thanks EDPro! Hadn't thought of that.

That is what I was thinking also. The Riverplace fountain will be maintained with money from regime fees from the businesses and residents (Condo owners pay one monthly fee for their building and another yearly fee for the entire complex). Whereas, the fountain next to the Main St. would have been the city's responsibility. I think the ongoing costs would have been too much.

So the large central fountain is actually owned by Riverplace, and not a city fountain?

So the large central fountain is actually owned by Riverplace, and not a city fountain?

I had gotten the impression that the fountain and the parking belonged to the City of Greenville and that the same contractors who are working on RiverPlace were also doing the work on these since they're already on the site doing work on RiverPlace. That's what the article says, anyway?

RiverPlace developers are building the fountain and parking garages because they're already on site doing construction, Bourey said. But the city has paid for those projects, he said.

SOURCE

i have not seen anything in the Homeowner's fee break down that indicates part the fee is allocated to the fountain. To my understanding it is the city's responsibility.

^^The Master Owners Association declaration for all of RiverPlace says the following on Page 37:

© any costs and expenses associated with the landscaping and appearance of the Common Areas and of the rights of way of public and private roads, streets and amenities in the vicinity of RiverPlace, including any costs and expenses associated with trash collection and removal, pest and rodent control measures, and maintenance of and repairs to the Fountain;

When I closed on my unit, I had several questions about the Master Association dues, because I had never seen a breakdown of it, and it was not a small cost. I was also under the impression that the city would take care of this, until it was explained to me in detail.

While not disagreeing with you on the reuse aspect of County Square, I have often heard people joke that it is tough for our county government to have vision when they all work in a building with no windows.

As a former county employee, not knowing what was going on outside was annoying at times. We often joked about putting up a periscope so we could check the weather. A few of us had put up large pictures of outdoor scenery to compensate. I do know that some co-workers had problems working in the environment. When I started there... I was just glad that I wasn't in a cube.

^^The Master Owners Association declaration for all of RiverPlace says the following on Page 37:

When I closed on my unit, I had several questions about the Master Association dues, because I had never seen a breakdown of it, and it was not a small cost. I was also under the impression that the city would take care of this, until it was explained to me in detail.

ahhh, I see. I have not looked into the Master Document in quite a while, the one-sheet break down does not go that much into detail.

Brandon, I truly wish I were a Riverplace dweller. Since the auction, my wife and I had our first child and it has changed our outlook on housing, not to mention everything else. Every time I would do a walkthrough on my unit, I would have to convince myself that it was for the best to sell it. Well, at the very least, it was a good investment that got me interested in other investments. It has now turned into a nice little side job.

Please forgive the quality of the pictures. I don't have the eye that some here do. These were from a walkthrough on Feb. 8th. Not everything was complete, but I hope it gives you an idea. I would love to see some pics from a decorated unit charlie s.

riverplace-edge028.jpg

riverplace-edge017.jpg

riverplace-edge016.jpg

riverplace-edge022.jpg

As a former county employee, not knowing what was going on outside was annoying at times. We often joked about putting up a periscope so we could check the weather. A few of us had put up large pictures of outdoor scenery to compensate. I do know that some co-workers had problems working in the environment. When I started there... I was just glad that I wasn't in a cube.

Oh, hey BREED. Camperdown Bridge Bombers here. Hope the Five Forks Flying Elvi's off-season is going well.

Apparently on February 23, The Grape received a special exemption to operate in Riverplace with certain stipulations (wine sale only, 10 tables maximum outside, close at midnight, no smoking, no dancing and few other terms). Sounds like we will see some activity soon at the street level finally. You can see the terms in the 3-6-06 city council agenda on www.greatergreenville.com.

Apparently on February 23, The Grape received a special exemption to operate in Riverplace with certain stipulations (wine sale only, 10 tables maximum outside, close at midnight, no smoking, no dancing and few other terms). Sounds like we will see some activity soon at the street level finally. You can see the terms in the 3-6-06 city council agenda on www.greatergreenville.com.

Sweeet!

It will be nice for RiverPlace, but Greenville needs a nice urban nightclub with a large dance floor for the younger crowd. I understand the reasoning behind keeping the noise down around the ritzy condos, but could the City not have a special district setup specifically for the late night partiers? Maybe designate a small block somewhere well away from Main Street and fill it with bars, restaurants, nightclubs, and related establishments? It could even be an "enclosed" development with a nice plaza in the center and a permanent stage built into it. The dreaming could go on and on... Let your imagination run wild. ^_^

We definitely need something like that! Greenville can handle it, I guarantee that! My dream for the urban dance club:

-downtown

-non-smoking (probably wouldn't happen, but this is my dream, right)

-not on Main (but not too far from the activity, either)

-a good DJ who plays good hip-hop and techno music

-$5 cover (so just anyone wouldn't wander in)

And while I'm at it, we need a nice lounge/club too. I know I always say this, but a nice place to go relax and have a drink, where it's not too loud and not too smokey, would be great. Live jazz would be perfect. Some comfortable urban furniture (Venti could supply it) would fit the mood. Thoughts?

Edited by Greenville

And while I'm at it, we need a nice lounge/club too. I know I always say this, but a nice place to go relax and have a drink, where it's not too loud and not too smokey, would be great. Live jazz would be perfect. Some comfortable urban furniture (Venti could supply it) would fit the mood. Thoughts?

I'm not much into hip-hop or techno, but I couldn't agree more about this! :thumbsup:

Greenville, I'm with you, especially on the "live Jazz" idea. I'd love to see a nice club with live swing and jazz bands come in from around the nation, or at least a couple good local groups. Also, a nice piano bar would be an awesome addition to the downtown after dark scene. How's this for a small vision: A swanky 1920's style bookstore with multi-level piano bar and low-light lounge. I'm thinking "big city," yes, but why not imagine the possibilities here? :shades:

RT, yes, The Blu Martini definitely falls into the same category as Greenville's vision posted above. I think a concentrated location or district would be perfect for these establishments, since some business owners and residents along Main Street are opposed to having them so close. :thumbsup: