CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCF0681.jpg

IMO the trees really add a lot to this space.

DSCF0676.jpg

Great place for a morning walk.

Remember when .......... (Hope they have a way to deal with this )

It appears to me that the large stone below the walk are at the high water level (let's hope).

I have a couple more shots of the new river walk that I am saving for photos of the day if some one else does beat me to it. :P

Edited by TREY

Just goes to show, not everything you hear -- and not everything that's posted on Urban Planet -- pans out.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that I read about High Cotton going into Falls Palce in either the Greenville News or the GSA Business, but I cannot find a link for an online article.

He could be talking about the hampton inn and the city hall site, that's two.

Actually, there was an article that stated JHM was considering both The Point and Downtown for their next hotel and I can think of at least one other party looking at Greenville for a Hotel.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that I read about High Cotton going into Falls Palce in either the Greenville News or the GSA Business, but I cannot find a link for an online article.

You did, I read that too, there was an article and I am sure it is on UP somewhere that stated it was going in Falls Place, but the article was wrong. Not a big surprise.

Gosh, there's so many great resturants downtown it's GREAT!, but I wish there were more shops.

National retailers will be downtown and in the West End. That is the next piece of the puzzle. I like the fact that our urban development is a result of those places being a destination, rather than retail locating there simply because a large number of people live there already. In our case, people will follow development, which will have a snowball effect. I can easily picture stores like J. Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Gap, etc. lining our downtown streets in the near future. Can't you?

I don't know if I would like having national retailers downtown. People could go like to Haywood Mall instead of downtown if they wanted to go shopping at a national retailer. I remember a few years ago, Knox White said one of the reasons our downtown thrives is because we are unique and have local retailers instead of national retailers. I've always liked to help out the local retailers more than the national retailers. I'm personally glad we don't have national retailers downtown and I don't want to really see any either. Like if Borders came downtown it could take all of Bentley's bookshop business. It's sort of like a wal-mart effect if you know what I mean.

I've always felt that a healthy mix of national chains and local offerings is best to both sustain and grow downtown. I don't want Downtown Greenville to become anything like King Street in Charleston, but a few chains here and there wouldn't hurt, as long as they were kept in check and weren't allowed to take over completely.

National retailers will be downtown and in the West End. That is the next piece of the puzzle. I like the fact that our urban development is a result of those places being a destination, rather than retail locating there simply because a large number of people live there already. In our case, people will follow development, which will have a snowball effect. I can easily picture stores like J. Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Gap, etc. lining our downtown streets in the near future. Can't you?

I can see it... I'm kind of picturing something like Georgetown. but I also agree with RT. I wouldn't want it to take over! I think that if the West End OR North Main tapped into this market but left the other one free of them, that that may help...? Maybe the North End could do this? Without national Retailers, where is there for us men to shop downtown? that's not Rush Wilson's :rolleyes: . I think that national retailers would help bring places that offer men's clothing and also mens interest. You know, no more boutiques with little pink gift cards and such... locally owned stuff caters too much to women. :wacko:

There is a significant disconnect between what local and national retailers are willing to pay in lease rates. Right now, national retailers are willing to pay the highest rates to locate in places like Woodruff Rd and Cherrydale. National retailers are largely interested in locating where they believe their stores will be most profitable. While rents are cheaper downtown, national retailers get better traffic and sales in the suburban spots, so that's where they tend to choose to locate.

Unfortunately, I don't think local retailers can reap the same rewards of locating in those suburban markets... as they lack the name recognition to attract non-local drivers.

An interesting dynamic is whether local retailers will be able to maintain their hold downtown. As the numbers get stronger and stronger, the pressure for national retailers to locate downtown will increase. The addition of Staples is a big event in this regard.