CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

Same here, I find it kind of cheesy.

I kinda have the same feelings. It looks to be more in line with the kids park up the Reedy, not in this upscale development. But, I shall reserve my final judgement on the overall fountain when it's up and running. With sound, water, and people, it might be really cool.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't sure about the train sounds idea from the beginning, but if you're going to have a fountain with train sounds you might as well have train tracks painted on there as well! :lol:

I am optimistic that the final product will be unique and enjoyable for everyone. Let's try to reserve judgment until we see it in person. :thumbsup:

Same here, I find it kind of cheesy.

I'm ok with it since the Swamp Rabbit railroad used to pass within feet of that fountain.

Making Greenville welcoming to folks of all sorts, young and old, rich and poor, is hard. When everything is upscale looking, it can narrow the focus of the development. Downtown gets a bit of reputation for being for the hip or the wealthy. If things can tune that out sometimes, I'm ok with it.

Had they taken the time and care to embed rails into that part of the fountain, that's one thing....but to paint them on in such a manner. I guess it's for the kids moreso than the rest of us anyway, but I agree. It lacks professionalism. ... maybe ... maybe if they extend the painted tracks on to Linky Stone Park it would make more sense? :unsure:

Before:

DSCF1264.jpg

After:

RiverPlace_52.jpg

I have question about how this is going to work. Is water going to cover the railroad tracks, because if it did it looks like it would go off the edge into the river or does the water go through where the tracks are painted or is there not going to be any water there at all, except for next to the wall to the left of the tracks? :unsure:

Edited by carolinadude9409

Before:

After:

I have question about how this is going to work. Is water going to cover the railroad tracks, because if it did it looks like it would go off the edge into the river or does the water go through where the tracks are painted or is there not going to be any water there at all, except for next to the wall to the left of the tracks? :unsure:

There's a slight lip there to keep the water over the pool deck surface, and a grade such that the water should drain back into the system.

Here are some interesting facts about this fountain: it will be 150 feet wide, 27 feet tall, have public bathrooms, water testing, 6,100 gallons of water flowing through it every minute, the top of the fountain will shoot water 6 feet in the air, and it costs $3 million dollars to build. There will also be a tunnel going underneath it that you can walk through that will have train noises and water geysers timed with the music. It feels like it's going to be an amusement park ride. :)

Another question. What does Bob Hughes mean by collapse in this paragraph: Asked to describe the fountain, Bob Hughes said water in it will fall 27 feet over three levels. The water will appear to flow beneath patios where people are dining. At the bottom level, the fountain will mimic a railroad, with a whistle sound and a 20-foot-long water tunnel that collapses, Hughes said. The fountain also will play songs and shoot jets and balls of water, he said. The paragraph was in this old article: http://greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...INESS/511160332

The water will flow over the track in an arch, but presumeably will be able to instantly shut off, thus "collapsing" the tunnel.

Oh, i'm starting to get it now, but i'm still confused about where the tunnel is going underneath the fountain that people can walk through. Is the tunnel going underneath the painted rail-road tracks and is that black thing the door for it or is it something else? If it isn't the door, does anybody know where the door is then?

Oh, i'm starting to get it now, but i'm still confused about where the tunnel is going underneath the fountain that people can walk through. Is the tunnel going underneath the painted rail-road tracks and is that black thing the door for it or is it something else? If it isn't the door, does anybody know where the door is then?

It would appear the black part is for decoration and the "tunnel" will be made of jets of water shooting over the tracks. I don't think there will be an actual tunnel.

I worked on this project alot and there will be no physical tunnel. They might do something tricky with the water but all i heard is the water will shoot to the tunes of the music and what you see is pretty much how it is going to be unless some other minor changes are done. When we first started building this they actually played it by hear and didnt have any good plans too go by. They played a lot of the masonry work on the fountain like this. Kind of funny IMO.

...When we first started building this they actually played it by hear and didnt have any good plans too go by.

The masonry work looks great; however, it's pretty obvious that there were no real solid plans to follow and that a lot of this either done ad-lib or from someone's imagination or vision. I still don't like how the "tracks" and "tunnel" look. I hope my impression changes once I see the fountain and jets in operation when all is said and done.

I too am less than impressed with railroad tracks idea. Perhaps it will work when it is all done, but it looks pretty silly at this point. I am not too enamored with the whole train noises thing to begin with. It seems liek it might have been better to have the jets of water in tune to the actual music, classical or something instead of train sounds :huh: . That could put a damper on an otherwise excellent project. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. (At least they can paint over the tracks easily enough if it does turn out to be cheesy)

I'm the odd one, since I actually like the train theme and the tracks in the fountain. Sure, there are other (perhaps even better) ways to incorporate this theme, but I think it will be a great attraction and help tie some of the city's history into the new development.

BTW, carolinadude, From the beginning, Hughes has said the tunnel will be a "tunnel of water," specifying that the water will flow in an arch over the tracks. If you need a rough visual, look at the arching bursts at the Liberty Square fountain. It is not the same, but imagine a "wall" of water shooting in the same arching pattern...

Edited by Skyliner

I'm the odd one, since I actually like the train theme and the tracks in the fountain. Sure, there are other (perhaps even better) ways to incorporate this theme, but I think it will be a great attraction and help tie some of the city's history into the new development.

BTW, carolinadude, From the beginning, Hughes has said the tunnel will be a "tunnel of water," specifying that the water will flow in an arch over the tracks. If you need a rough visual, look at the arching bursts at the Liberty Square fountain. It is not the same, but imagine a "wall" of water shooting in the same arching pattern...

I gotcha now. :thumbsup:

I like the train theme and tracks idea, but I just don't like the way it was painted. Hopefully, it will look better once the water is turned on. :thumbsup:

they were out late yesterday afternoon trying to get the pressure just right for the tunnel jets....Should look pretty good when its done. But i don't know aobout the painting, it makes since but i think it could have been executed better.

I noticed the same thing. They had that blue tent over the green plastic covering working on the water pressure, it looked like.