CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to see the fountain. The jets go straight up and do not seem very powerful (for now), but there are lights (white) beneath each one. There is a speaker near the "tunnel" that was, for awhile, playing music and train sounds and the "train light" was light up. The "pool rules" sign is now facing outward. The walkway to River Street is open, as are the stairs. It's too bad it couldn't have been more like it appears in the rendering, but I'm sure it will be enjoyed by many.

Edited by Cap'n Prowler

One thing i didnt tell you guys that we are worried about with the fountain. You all know how we have some bad freezes some times in the winter? Well we have been worried that when water gets down in between the cracks in the rocks that it will freeze and expand popping the rocks off the face of the block. We will just have to wait and see if this actually happens but we have witnessed brick doing this before and cracking them all up. Hopefully nothing bad like this will happen but if it does someone will fix it im sure. When you have water flowing over rock that dont have joints between them its possible for this to occur and i just wanted to let everyone know that didnt already know.

One thing i didnt tell you guys that we are worried about with the fountain. You all know how we have some bad freezes some times in the winter? Well we have been worried that when water gets down in between the cracks in the rocks that it will freeze and expand popping the rocks off the face of the block. We will just have to wait and see if this actually happens but we have witnessed brick doing this before and cracking them all up. Hopefully nothing bad like this will happen but if it does someone will fix it im sure. When you have water flowing over rock that dont have joints between them its possible for this to occur and i just wanted to let everyone know that didnt already know.

I saw this happened to a lot of the blocks on the facade at the Publix Shopping Center on Pelham Road. I was wondering what caused it. Could it be due to this same phenomena?

Saw the fountain in person today. It is beautiful. The painted train tracks are a huge disappointment. I waited until I was able to see them first-hand before commenting. I think they detract from the overall fountain design. I sincerely hope that this is not the finished product. On the plus sign, I saw a little girl playing in the jets of water having a really big time! Big smiles.

I sent an email to the Grape regarding their Greenville location since the logos have been gone from the windows for some time. Seems perhaps Greenville pushed the Grape too far and they bailed...

Thanks for your inquiry. The Grape is no longer coming to Greenville. Please make sure to visit us next time you travel.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Katz {sodEmoji.|} Vice President, Site Development

The Grape Enterprise Group

4300 Paces Ferry Road {sodEmoji.|} Suite 333 {sodEmoji.|} Atlanta, GA 30339

unwired: 404.447.7715 {sodEmoji.|} wired: 678.309.9463 {sodEmoji.|} 678.309.1208 {sodEmoji.|}

[email protected] {sodEmoji.|} www.yourgrape.com

The city council originally denied The Grape's permit there. Then the Zoning board allowed it after making them make all kinds of concessions, including wine only (no liquor).

From an article in the Greenville News in March.

The Grape cannot allow smoking, dancing or live music unless it's background music. The Grape must close at midnight, provide security and limit the number of outdoor patio tables to 10

That absolutely sucks about The Grape!! Seriously, you would think it was a strip club based on the city's response. I honestly don't get it. That was going to be a unique offering that we don't have anywhere else, and I think it would have done good business.

The city's anti-fun law has now discouraged the following tenants from locating downtown (despite these businesses' high interest in our city):

- Jillian's

- American Apparel

- The Grape

Who's next?

I agree. I understand that Greenville has made tremendous strides over the past few years, but really, what kind of metropolis do these "decision makers" think Greenville is that they can pick and choose and lose great opportunities like the Grape. With the amount of unused retail space there is downtown, it looks like they would be glad to get something half as nice....one step forward and two steps back... :angry:

And then everyone wonders why businesses want to go to Woodruff Road. It seems kind of obvious to me if they are going to be given such a hard time downtown.

I asked one of the employees at Starbucks about the Grape and was told that the same type of Retailer was still going to move to that location but not the Grape. I not sure what that means (if anything) but maybe the local franchiser decided that they wanted to do something different?