CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

There has been a lot of talk on here about a movie theater in the third phase of River Place, some even desiring an IMAX. but with Charleston's IMAX most likely closing, do you think Greenville could keep one afloat?

If one were to make it, the Riverwalk and Camperdown Way would need to be hopping with activity. The Riverwalk would need to be lively with resturants and retail, and Camperdown would need to be built up with resturants, retail, and residential.

Charleston's was such a touristy thing that maybe that's what hurt it, but would Greenville's really attract the locals who might be going to Cherrydale, Hollywood, or Camelot??? Just wondering what you guys thought.

I hadn't heard anything about the IMAX in Charleston going out of business, but it somehow doesn't surprise me. We dove into the theatre there to avoid the rain once, but other than that, I've never set foot in the place.

My guess is that Greenville could keep an IMAX afloat when Charleston couldn't simply because it would be a main draw here whereas it's just part of the overall picture there and can be easily overlooked (i.e. there are just too many things to do very nearby the IMAX - the South Carolina Aquarium, the boat out to Fort Sumter, etc.).

I think if a theatre were to open with an IMAX screen somewhere in RiverPlace Phase III along with perhaps 3-4 conventional screens as well (all with Stadium Seating, of course), that could be another big draw downtown. That's just my own two cents.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if a theatre were to open with an IMAX screen somewhere in RiverPlace Phase III along with perhaps 3-4 conventional screens as well (all with Stadium Seating, of course), that could be another big draw downtown. That's just my own two cents.

Couldn't agree more! Perhaps a 6 screen cinema w/ one being an IMAX would be excellent, and near the river / Riverwalk/ Phase 3 would be an excellent location. I think this would do very well DT, and is desperately needed.

Anybody ever been to the AMC Theatre in Downtown Celebration, FL? I used to hang out there A LOT back when I lived in Orlando and was first dating my wife. It's only got 2 screens, but both houses are pretty large and have stadium seating. A cool little establishment like that would be just awesome in Downtown Greenville. :shades:

Anybody notice the awesome new lights at the top of the RiverPlace office building? They change colors in a random sequence (blue, green, red, orange, yellow, purple, pink) similar to the lighting at the BMW IT building at CU-ICAR - no discernable pattern (that I could detect at least). Right now, there are only a few of them, but it looks as though there will perhaps be more to come? :unsure: I got a few photos this evening. If any of them are worth anything, I'll post one tomorrow to the POTD thread. :thumbsup:

Edited by RestedTraveler

Anybody notice the awesome new lights at the top of the RiverPlace office building? They change colors in a random sequence (blue, green, red, orange, yellow, purple, pink) similar to the lighting at the BMW IT building at CU-ICAR - no discernable pattern (that I could detect at least). Right now, there are only a few of them, but it looks as though there will perhaps be more to come? :unsure: I got a few photos this evening. If any of them are worth anything, I'll post one tomorrow to the POTD thread. :thumbsup:

are they inside?

No, unlike the BMW IT Building, these are on the outside of the "crown" of this building. They're pretty awesome! :shades:

These are permanent? Not just for the holidays? I saw your photos in POTD thread....the lights remind me of the ones on the new parking decks at the Charlotte airport.

These are permanent? Not just for the holidays? I saw your photos in POTD thread....the lights remind me of the ones on the new parking decks at the Charlotte airport.

That's an excellent question. Given the discussion of laser lighting during the unveiling of the Charles Townes statue, I presume that they are permanent; however, I'm not certain. These are most likely color-changing LED bulbs; however, it'd be nice if they were permanent. They could be there just for the holidays though.

The question to ask then is, if they are individual color-changing bulbs, why would all of them be coordinated?

That's a good point.

I hope it is a permanent fixture at RiverPlace. Anything like this will continue to add appeal to that area. :shades:

I hope this is a permanent fixture as well on this building and the other planned RiverPlace Office Building at the other end. It really appears to me (althought it's hard to tell) that there is room for a few more of these around this particular building.

It'd be nice if this could extend beyond RiverPlace to other buildings downtown, too (but not too many - everything in moderation).

Riverplace has really changed a lot of views and faces of downtown. One that I just noticed recently was the view headed south on Richardson Street. The Terrace sticks up above Downtown Baptist. It adds depth and density to this particular vantage point.

And if that 8-story residentail tower gets built in a few years, that angle should align perfectly for a great shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything at all on the rest of Phase Two or Phase Three? I'm still curious as to the function of the rest of the buildings and when we can expect to see some more construction on down the river...?

Does anyone think that we'll hit the point of NO construction at River Place for the first time since it was started? I know that it will pick back up, but I'm not so sure the sight won't go quiet before we see more work commence.

By the way, the Terrace looks fantastic. :)

I know at least one impediment is that the city does not currently have the money for the next phase of garage parking. Of course, there would need to be sufficient leases to build the next building anyway. So there may be more than one reason for a holdup.

I think this is probably one instance where the emenient domain case payoff (no money left for garage construction) is hurting further development.

The next two buildings in phase two are residential. But I have heard the same thing, the money for the garages is the holdup.

Awesome. Thanks.

And if it takes time get the money because of the eminent domain, then it's fine with me. The River Walk and entire gateway to the West End is so much better off now than it could have been with those buildings.

Awesome. Thanks.

And if it takes time get the money because of the eminent domain, then it's fine with me. The River Walk and entire gateway to the West End is so much better off now than it could have been with those buildings.

I know the city won't because the money is going to roads, but they could of used some of the money they got from the Greenville Municipal Stadium or the city hall site sale to build the parking garage for phase 2 of Riverplace.