CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. That's going to be one dense section of downtown once fully built out. I can't imagine how downtown ever got along without this development.

It's definitely an experience in and of iteself that must be experienced first-hand to appreciate. Nice pictures. The Terrace looks to be coming along nicely. :camera:

don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not but the Soby's restaurant is going to be called The Lazy Goat.

Cool name. :thumbsup:

The interior is looking great! :thumbsup: Beautiful stone wall and some fun ceiling treatments. Here is a photo (horrible quality) shot through the glass.

DSC01791.jpg

Question here.

I noticed this morning while strolling in the rain, that the chalk drawings/paintings from Artisphere are still on the riverwalk. They must have been sealed, as with all this rain, I would have thought they would have washed away. I ran my hands across them, no color came off on my hands, only water.

I had this fantasy, that since this is the Art Crossing portion of riverwalk, maybe these are sealed, will be permanent and a couple added each year? How fun would that be? :) Anybody have more info on this?

From this cold, wet, Saturday morning:

DSC01788.jpg

That is an interesting thought, although I doubt it is the case. While in town last weekend, it appeared that some of the chalk had been washed away. I am guessing that they used oil-based chalk to help it last longer and resist entirely washing away too soon.

I had this fantasy, that since this is the Art Crossing portion of riverwalk, maybe these are sealed, will be permanent and a couple added each year? How fun would that be? :) Anybody have more info on this?

I had the same fantasy and even mentioned this to Mrs. vwsam and vwsam that weekend...thought it would be great to start a "collection" of these along the RiverWalk. However, it's just a fantasy, I'm afraid. From what I could tell, these were not sealed in any way, unfortunately.

It is Vaughn Russell, but I would like to know if it will see any improvements?

Construction guys were inside working on this store yesterday. I asked them about the interior and they said there are plans to beef it up. They said the owner wanted to get moved in temporarily and get sales for Artisphere. A great sign, addtional interior fixtures, paint, lighting, etc all are on the way. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking through some old photos, and came across this one taken in Helena Ga, last summer.

Defiantly not high class, but good food, great service, cold beer, and a lot of fun.

I would love to see something like this along our River Walk, with live music at lest on the weekends.

IMG_0066.jpg

Maybe it's just me and maybe I'm missing something but this seems like an INCREDIBLE waste of space for a suspended car and some seating areas. Even if they have a shop that sells Michelin products, how many Michelin T-shirts could one buy or WANT to buy? I'm glad Michelin is investing in our downtown but I just don't see the draw. Once you've gone in once, why go back?? :dontknow:

Maybe it's just me and maybe I'm missing something but this seems like an INCREDIBLE waste of space for a suspended car and some seating areas. Even if they have a shop that sells Michelin products, how many Michelin T-shirts could one buy or WANT to buy? I'm glad Michelin is investing in our downtown but I just don't see the draw. Once you've gone in once, why go back?? :dontknow:

I share some of your thoughts. I guess it will be hard to judge until it is done, but it does seem like it will need to be something really unique, yet something that gets COMPLETELY redone very often, to keep people coming in. I know some will disagree with me, but I just don't see Gville getting enough tourists to keep something like this in business. Something like this might work in MB for example, but I can't see people saying, "Hey, let's go to the tire store!." If it were a huge museum or something maybe, but it is waaay too small to be very interactive or entertaining. But hey, maybe the finished product will surprise us. :dontknow:

This will be more for tourist than for locals. But in addition, large corporations like these use these types of museum / stores as major advertising and brand image vehicles. (World of Coke, Turner Store, etc) Most of these type stores just break even and don't drive sales, which is OK with the corporations as the advertising and brand recognition drive greater sales further down the road. This will be much like the BMW museum and store, The Zentrum at the BMW plant, only this will be in a higher traffic, high tourist area, and should be more interactive. It probably won't be a money generator, but Michelin probably already has it planned as an expense and not a money maker in their advertising / marketing budgets.

I don't see this 'drawing' in more tourists as much as it will 'extend' the existing tourist and locals experience. People will visit this as an adjunct to a dinner out, stroll through Falls Park, Peace Center event, etc. In much the same way the SC Acquarium in Charleston was built not so much to draw additional tourists, but to get the tourists already coming to extend there stay.